PDA

View Full Version : Advice for new cartridge

Richard Jones
03-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Greetings Members,

I need some advice about replacing my no longer
available Shure V15VMR cartridge. Being I have limited funds
I need a cartridge under $150. Tough act to follow with the VMR
being a rather refine neutral cartridge.
System is a bit vintage being:

Threshold Cas One Amp
VPI Junior,Rega RB300 Arm
Spica TC-50's (borrowed)
Vandersteen 2CE (own)

Grado Cartridge bodies are 2 tall for my arm. I would rather not have to put spacers under the arm for height.
Have thought about the following:
Rega Bias 2
Shure 97XE
Audio Technica 440ML
Sumiko Pearl

Disadvantage with the Rega is the sylus is not user replaceable and
the Audio Technica isn't made anymore so there isn't a stylus replacement available I believe.Would love to find a stylus replacement for the V5MR. None available anywhere?
Any thoughts ideas appreciated.

Richard
DCRJ46

JohnMichael
03-13-2007, 08:22 AM
If you like the Shure sound you might want to try their M97XE cartridge. It may not be as refined as your older cartridge but I think it would be close.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Shure-M97XE?sc=2&category=380

I used to own the AT 440ML and found it to be a thin sounding cartridge.

basite
03-13-2007, 09:48 AM
although the carts are not exactly a match for your arm, but you could consider denon carts...
the 103r or the 103 are both very good carts, they will require an external phono pre, if you don't have MC phonopre in your amp.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Richard Jones
03-13-2007, 03:55 PM
If you like the Shure sound you might want to try their M97XE cartridge. It may not be as refined as your older cartridge but I think it would be close.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Shure-M97XE?sc=2&category=380

I used to own the AT 440ML and found it to be a thin sounding cartridge.

Thanks JohnMichael. I'll keep the Shure in mind. One advantage with the ShureM97XE is that it's almost identical in size etc to the V4MR. I called Shure directly to find out. The person I talked to say sonic wise it pretty close but just not as airy and refine.I should have mentioned my preamp which is a Superphon RevII which doesn't have a moving coil input for the phono stage. Superphon was started by Stan Warren
the "S in PS Audio.

Richard

Richard Jones
03-13-2007, 04:02 PM
although the carts are not exactly a match for your arm, but you could consider denon carts...
the 103r or the 103 are both very good carts, they will require an external phono pre, if you don't have MC phonopre in your amp.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Thanks for the reply Bert. Unfortuately my preamp Superphon RevII
does not have a low output moving coil phono stage. I see that Denon has brought back that cartridge which they dropped if I'm no mistaken about 30 yrs ago. I even remember Denon Direct Drive Turntables and
their cassette desks. Shows you how old and how long I've been into stereo equipment.

Richard

royphil345
03-13-2007, 09:12 PM
Many people have been praising the newest version of the AT-440ML. New one is the AT-440MLa. I tried the old version and wasn't crazy about it. Very clear sound for the price. Good tracker. Too thin in the mids for my taste. If the new one is a touch warmer like they're saying... I could see myself liking it a whole lot for the money, especially with a system where a little extra energy in the highs works. Don't know for sure though...

Also have a Shure M97xE that I preferred over the old version AT-440ML. Frequency extremes are rolled off a bit. Great tracker. Not the most "alive" and exciting sound... Very pleasant though... Balanced... Not as open sounding as a V15...

I was going to try an Ortofon OM 20 Super when I ended up buying a Denon 103R instead. The Ortofon is about $150.00 and is said to be smooth and musical sounding... maybe a little more accurate and lively than the Shure. Many seem to agree that the 20 is the "sweet spot" of that line. Again... haven't heard one myself...

Very, very happy with the Denon. I have a Technics SL-1200 with the S-shaped tonearm though, and I think the arm has just barely enough mass to work well with the Denon DL-103. Probably wouldn't be the best match for you anyway.

JRA has a Denon DL-110 high-output MC he was really liking for awhile. I know I love my Denon cart. Maybe he'll check in and tell you something about that...

Good luck!!! These cartridges are all known to be great values. You really can't go too wrong...

EDIT: Just reread your post. You can still get a stylus for your V15... but it will cost you... http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=SHVN5MR

ANOTHER EDIT: I just realized I still have that original AT-440ML. Definitely less than 100 hours on the stylus, possibly much less (been awhile... don't remember). The microline is supposed to have a very long life. I really don't like it and I'll never use it. If anybody wants to try it for free... send me a private message. 1st come 1st serve...

jrhymeammo
03-13-2007, 09:23 PM
JRA has a Denon DL-110 high-output MC he was really liking for awhile. Maybe he'll check in and tell you something about that...

Love it. It doesnt have the clarity of DL 301mk2, but that little thing is so much fun to listen to. But Feanor didnt have much success with that cart as I did. Maybe he'll check in and tell you something about that...

JohnMichael
03-14-2007, 06:52 AM
Thanks JohnMichael. I'll keep the Shure in mind. One advantage with the ShureM97XE is that it's almost identical in size etc to the V4MR. I called Shure directly to find out. The person I talked to say sonic wise it pretty close but just not as airy and refine.I should have mentioned my preamp which is a Superphon RevII which doesn't have a moving coil input for the phono stage. Superphon was started by Stan Warren
the "S in PS Audio.

Richard

You know I have always wondered if the M97XE stylus would fit your old cartridge. The Superphon is one piece of equipment I had a chance to buy and now wished I had. I remeber it as a great and affordable preamp.

Richard Jones
03-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks Royphil,
Might even consider a high output Denon.But not sure where to
purchase. Tried Music Direct & Acoustic Sounds but no luck. I tend to
lean toward stylus replaceable cartridges just for the convience of not
having to install a new cartridge each time a stylus is worn or lunched.
That's the reason for the search. I bent the cantilever on the V5MR. I have a a back up V5 stylus but I think it's about worned out. I had a Technics 1300 for yrs & yrs gave it to my son who might still be using it today after 30 yrs!
Tried the site you mentioned. Too expensive for my tastes. I paid 129 orginally at J&R New York City and a stylus replacement was 80 bucks. Good grief!!! Big inflation increase. For what they're asking there is a lot others to consider, like Super Blue Point Special as an example.

Richard