So what does everybody do??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So what does everybody do???

PeruvianSkies
03-11-2007, 12:50 AM
I enjoyed the last thread about how everyone ended up here, question that I was thinking about lately after reading another thread was 'What does everybody do?" You know...for a living? What job market is everyone in? The curiousity is only because part of who we are is what we do and I thought it might be interesting to see the variety of job markets that we occupy and it's also kinda fun to ask people questions about their job.

I'll start...

I do graphic design, video production, and some web layouts. I work 6 days a week and really enjoy what I do. I have a basically free schedule to do what I want, when I want and I suppose my favorite thing about it is connecting with people through various mediums. I typically produce about 1-3 videos per month and I do all sorts of graphic layouts ranging from postcards to T-shirts etc etc. I also manage a group of people who also help out with various projects, so my technical term is "Director of Media Arts".

Ok, your turn!!!!!!!

Feanor
03-11-2007, 01:42 AM
I enjoyed the last thread about how everyone ended up here, question that I was thinking about lately after reading another thread was 'What does everybody do?" You know...for a living? What job market is everyone in? ...

Ok, your turn!!!!!!!

Interesting line of work you're in. I guess mine is relatively boring.

I'm a systems analyst and have worked in that capacity, and as an accountant, for many years for a major Canadian life insurance company. As systems analyst, I determine requirements for data processing systems and provide the functional specifications for those systems, working with business management and operations staff as well as computer software developers.

I could retire on full pension at any time I want, but I mostly enjoy the work, plus I need extra money will my kids are finishing college.

Dusty Chalk
03-11-2007, 02:04 AM
Sorry, mine's boring, so I'll keep it short: I'm in computers, I write software.

basite
03-11-2007, 04:02 AM
student :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

JohnMichael
03-11-2007, 05:30 AM
I am currently a caregive for a gentleman with Alzheimer's disease. I stay with him at night so he can remain in his home. Since I can rest when he does I am getting paid to sleep.

I also work part time in a retail store. Having all my days free I was becoming bored so I found a job that would get me out amongst people.

I still do some freelance photography work. People are pestering me about photographing their weddings. Anymore I only enjoy travel photography.

Luvin Da Blues
03-11-2007, 05:54 AM
Great Idea for a post PS,

Always nice to have a little background on our members.

When I was younger I took courses on appliance repair and recording engineering and dabbled a bit with this but eventually ended up as an electrician for 20+ years. My back started to give me problems so I bit the bullet and studied civil engineering and have been doing this for 'bout 5 years now. I design and administer land developmnent projects (subdivisions and site servicing) in the interior of British Columbia.

flippo
03-11-2007, 05:56 AM
I Babysit grown men, in other words I'm a Sr Correctional Officer in medium prison/county jail.

Flip

N. Abstentia
03-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Nothing exciting here, either. I am with the IT group for the local power/water/gas company. We take care of six facilities, their websites, computers, all that good stuff. The thing I like is that since there are six different facilities, there is actually a lot of driving back and fourth. All the places are within 15 miles of each other, so it breaks up the day nicely and allows some time for some cruising and tune jamming :)

Wireworm5
03-11-2007, 07:32 AM
I'm back in the taxi business. Which is my 16 year of driving taxi, I drove courier in between for about 5 years. Presently I drive a wheelchair taxi. We mostly transfer patients from hospitals, care homes as well as school. When I'm not busy with wheelchairs I'm on the regular fleet.

scottcguidry
03-11-2007, 10:36 AM
I am a technician at a Ford dealership. My primary skills are diesel and gas performance.

anamorphic96
03-11-2007, 12:22 PM
I am projection and sound technician for a theater service/supply company. I service local theaters in the LA area as well as San Diego and all the way out to Palm Springs. I also travel quite a bit for new installs. I was recently in Arizona and will be going back a couple more times this year.

It's not the greatest job in the world but I do enjoy the sound portion of the job. I also get to meet some very interesting people.

Before this I was projectionist for 10 years as well as managing several movie theaters.

Good topic to for discussion PS.

drseid
03-11-2007, 12:47 PM
I am afraid mine is not that interesting...

I head up the distribution and contracts areas for a medium/large mail order B2C health products company (mostly vitamins and supplements).

---Dave

icarus
03-11-2007, 02:07 PM
nice thread... I'm currently a business student, and in during the summer the I fight Forest Fires for the Government of BC...

kexodusc
03-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Hey, always wondered about some of you.
i'm a financial analyst, pipelines and utilities, though lately I'm focusing on risk management and portfolio performance measurements for institutional investors - mostly pension plans. Far from the exciting pilot/fireman job I thought I'd have when I was a kid.

blackraven
03-11-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm an Emergnecy Medicine Physician at a busy hospital. Been doing it for 20years.

superdougiefreshness
03-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Currently I am in the closeout to my jobsite and then will be laid off with severance from my financial processing job. Am looking at nursing schools, go ahead and laugh for I will make kick ass money and I will always work. "ALWAYS" and at the times I wish to work "for the most part" Past was everything from U.S. Navy hospital Corpsman, then flight attendent. And many a temp job in between that allows my better judgement to get my butt into some sort of schooling. My rent is very cheap for the city I live, car paid off and I already have a beautiful stereo/movie setup. I also live in my favorite neiborhood of San Diego in March. Going back to school as a single dude is the best thing at 44 years old and in good health. This could be the chance I have waited so long for. And yes I love comments.......

Later :22:

jrhymeammo
03-11-2007, 06:04 PM
I've been working as a Logistics Coordinator for a company in Georgetown KY since the end of January. I get a nice little discount on Toyota products, but didnt get a dime off on a Scion TC I purchased last night. There goes the tube int/combo I was looking to get. It's a great oppotunity for me and I am excited. But I wouldnt suggest it for anyone who's looking to get an exotic system with their pay. Oh well:cornut:

Have a great week to all, except for the selected few.

s dog
03-11-2007, 06:07 PM
I have a small cleaning business, mostly clean office buildings, not getting rich but i make a living.

blackraven
03-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Hey Superdougie, Nursing is a great field, there's a nation wide shortage of nurses and your right, you will always have a job. You will make very good money if you work in a hospital setting. Just make sure you go for RN vs LPN. We have many male nurses in our hospital! You'll probably get stuck with night shifts till you gain senority.

Rock789
03-11-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm an Electrical Engineer (putting off the PE exam)...
I am presently working at an engineering firm in the automation department...
we do a lot of work in the natural gas industry...

GMichael
03-12-2007, 07:44 AM
I worked at a research center for a few years as a Buyer. Was buying all kinds of electronics, lasers, chemicals etc for a bunch of mad scientist types. Went to school at night to get degrees in math and computer science. So now I'm still a Buyer. But at least I'm the top dog, running a small Purchasing department. We buy parts to repair printers and laptops.

topspeed
03-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Some of my many duties:
* Combat evil whenever it rears its ugly head
* Ease human suffering and injustice
* Quell riots
* Overthrow dictatorships
* Analyze barley and hops libations for quality
* Verify Virgins

Whew!

When I can spare a moment, commercial/residential real estate development and sales.

Resident Loser
03-12-2007, 10:20 AM
...as one can tell by my casual repartee and easy-going demeanor, being a hostage negotiator and doing volunteer work at a suicide hotline isn't it...

In-house systems tech...wires and cables and ones and zeros...

jimmHJJ(...that kinda' stuff...for a very, very long time...)

GMichael
03-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Some of my many duties:
* Combat evil whenever it rears its ugly head
* Ease human suffering and injustice
* Quell riots
* Overthrow dictatorships
* Analyze barley and hops libations for quality
* Verify Virgins

Whew!

When I can spare a moment, commercial/residential real estate development and sales.

Captain America?

topspeed
03-12-2007, 10:52 AM
At your service!

Feanor
03-12-2007, 10:55 AM
...as one can tell by my casual repartee and easy-going demeanor, being a hostage negotiator and doing volunteer work at a suicide hotline isn't it...

In-house systems tech...wires and cables and ones and zeros...

jimmHJJ(...that kinda' stuff...for a very, very long time...)

My response might too often be, "Your reasons for suicide are well considered ..." :devil:

Rich-n-Texas
03-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Hello,

I'm going to use this thread (if PS doesn't mind) to re-introduce myself and I'll tell you what I do afterwards.

I haven't posted in this forum for about a year essentially because the extremely newbie HT questions I had were answered by reading the great contributions from the experienced and knowledgable members of this forum. Not Hershon's or his brother EdwardG (who he's never heard of) though. ;)

I still remember getting my first transistor radio back in about 1965 (a gift from my Granny) and I've been hooked on music ever since. The first stereo that I purchased was a Pioneer SX450, and I still have the "Sonic" (built by Pioneer) speakers which I bought at John Wanamakers (sp?) in Cherry Hill NJ in about 1978-79. Two generations later, I'm now the owner of the rig listed in my sig. I love music, especially LOUD rock-n-roll, and I agree that 6 channel stereo is a great way to drown out the neighbor's incessant barking dog. I've got a lot more questions on my mind about my home theatre project so hopefully everyone will be as helpful as they were before.

What I do: Essentially, just like flippo, I'm a babysitter. Only difference is the clientel. Not prisoners but engineers at Texas Instruments in Dallas. Overbearing, egotistical, extremely sharp, very talented with a wealth of knowledge that I've had the great fortune of being exposed to in my four years here. I'm less than a mile from the foundry where the DLP devices are built, and even though I don't work specifically with that group, I have a few acquaintences there. BTW, no, I can't get you a good deal on a DLP TV (already used that discount code on myself ;) )

That's it in a nutshell.

Robert-The-Rambler
03-12-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm an assistant manager for a vitamin/supplement retailer. I'm looking to move into a more electronics oriented field that offer significantly more pay. Since I've probably added 400% more debt to my financial profile in the last 4 years, I think it woud be a good idea to move on. Anyhow, I am really a techie geek and I have no business selling vitamins. I am a moderator over at the Videogamereview forums. Man, how I miss the free game I used to get every month for doing that.

emorphien
03-12-2007, 11:40 AM
PhD student

musicman1999
03-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Great thread,it really helps put more of a face to the names,and in some cases helps put peoples comments in context.
Me,i work for the previously mentioned Toyota/Lexus,at the dealership level in parts and accessories sales and supply.Helps pay for my audio habit.

bill
btw ggreat choice on th Scion tc ,jr

recoveryone
03-12-2007, 02:46 PM
At my age its more of what have I done than what I do (as little as possible) and I'm only 45. Gave 9 years to the Corps, then another 10 to various PD's and now Heavy Equipment Operator, and Police Commissioner.

PeruvianSkies
03-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Great thread,it really helps put more of a face to the names,and in some cases helps put peoples comments in context.
Me,i work for the previously mentioned Toyota/Lexus,at the dealership level in parts and accessories sales and supply.Helps pay for my audio habit.

bill
btw ggreat choice on th Scion tc ,jr

This was my hope...to help each of us sorta develop more of a sense of 'who' each of us are besides are ramblings on A/V stuff and perhaps seeing our equipment. We are a A/V community, so it's vital to know other details of each other.

powerlord
03-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Heavy Equipment operater/Truck Driver here and play in a band for moolah on the weekends!

PeruvianSkies
03-16-2007, 01:01 AM
Heavy Equipment operater/Truck Driver here and play in a band for moolah on the weekends!

A death metal band??? What instrument do you play? I am also in a band that has just started up in the past few weeks. I play guitar and sing. We are called RANSOM. Basically we don't fall under one perticular style necessarily because we try to be more ecclectic. I suppose most of our stuff is rock-based, but I really enjoy acoustic-rock with loads of rhythym. Right now we are going around to smaller venues to get established and hope to write some original material over the next year before actually doing some recording. It's a slow process, hardest part is getting everyone together.

spf
03-16-2007, 04:15 AM
Another IT guy here ..... I'm a programmer/analyst for the Canadian government, mostly with the financials side.

audio_dude
03-16-2007, 05:41 PM
and I... well, i work at a french fry truck in the summer for better pay than those McD shmucks! haha! (and a get to make my own poutine!)

stevef22
03-27-2007, 04:31 PM
Hi everyone, I am a college student studying for computer science degree. Ive been repairing and fixing peoples computers since I was 16. I also design professional Flash sites in my spare time. I am 23 now and learning more about audio.

Edit: Hope I don't get banned but here is my plug for my Web Site Design. enigmawebdesign.com/ (http://www.enigmawebdesign.com/)
Help me afford more audio equipment, lol.

Bingo
03-30-2007, 05:56 AM
:confused5: Well...I may not be the most interesting but I'd be willing to bet I am the oldest...I'm 83 with 20 years of retirement behind me. When I did retire in 1986 someone asked me how long it took me to adjust...my reply: "ABOUT TWENTY MINUTES!!" It was not until I retired that I discovered what I was really cut out for in life...DOING NOTHING!! I do nothing so well no one ever knows that I am not really busy. I have truly enjoyed retirement though...and I highly recommend it to anyone who can engage in this marvelous pursuit. My last job lasted 15 years - I was Accountant for the City I live in...and before that I had 15 years as an office manager in a large life insurance company...none of my jobs have really been more than jobs...which is to say a way to 'making a living' and pay the bills...but I would always take it upon myself to make them more than that by the way I related to co-workers. If I could do things in my job to make it more meaningful for my co-workers, then I felt as if I had something of value. And I could do that even if my job was a bit repetitive. Among the respondents to this thread, one responder from Canada is a systems analyst who worked in a large life insurance home office too...in my job with such a company I dealt with systems analysts, but in practice I was really one myself. I ran a tight ship but I had the loyalty of those subordinates who did such a good job for me. As for music, I have loved only classical music since I was about 7 years old...unfortunately I never liked Rock 'n roll, but never prohibited any young person from enjoying it themselves..and I never tried to convince any young person that they 'ought' to like classical...if they don't they don't and one day if the do, they will.

I know I didn't add much to this thread, but I wanted to try..... Nolan

GMichael
03-30-2007, 07:05 AM
You added plenty Nolan. Thanks for the cool insite into your life. Enjoy your retirement. I hope to get to do nothing someday myself. Till then, :15: I owe.. I owe... so off to work I go. I owe I owe I owe I owe I owe...... I owe.:15:

r.j.sanc26
03-30-2007, 09:19 AM
My job is pretty close to what PeruvianSkies does....I am a Senior Graphic Designer for a large engineering firm in CO.

I work with about 6 offices in the mountain region (as well as some support for our offices in Sri Lanka and Mexico City) and produce items such as proposal materials, marketing materials, 3-D visualizations, some video production...just about what ever our PM's need. I've been doing design for about 15 years, 8 of which with this company; I also do freelance work on the side.

hydroman
03-30-2007, 12:02 PM
I work the Gummint as a jet engine design-ey kinda' guy. One weekend a month/two weeks a year I am an F-16 mechanic.

I have been a sales counselor for Circuit City (selling everything at one time or another) and before that was stockroom and customer rep.

westcott
03-31-2007, 02:29 AM
I enjoyed the last thread about how everyone ended up here, question that I was thinking about lately after reading another thread was 'What does everybody do?" You know...for a living? What job market is everyone in? The curiousity is only because part of who we are is what we do and I thought it might be interesting to see the variety of job markets that we occupy and it's also kinda fun to ask people questions about their job.

I'll start...

I do graphic design, video production, and some web layouts. I work 6 days a week and really enjoy what I do. I have a basically free schedule to do what I want, when I want and I suppose my favorite thing about it is connecting with people through various mediums. I typically produce about 1-3 videos per month and I do all sorts of graphic layouts ranging from postcards to T-shirts etc etc. I also manage a group of people who also help out with various projects, so my technical term is "Director of Media Arts".

Ok, your turn!!!!!!!

Great thread, Peruvian! I have always wondered myself. Not sure why we have not done this sooner. Maybe we should cut and paste into our profiles too!

I am a mechanical and control systems engineer. My career has changed over the years, starting with designing aeroderivative gas turbine power generation packages for Stewart and Stevenson. I moved to inside sales for a control systems company providing Triple Modular Redundant control systems for turbomachinery and emergency shut down systems. These systems have very high mean time between failures and allow equipment to run non stop for 300+ years without failure. They are used in aerospace, naval propulsion, oil and gas refineries and pipelines, hospitals, utility companies, and hydroelectric dams. After designing and specing systems for several years, I moved into outside sales. I traveled all over the world and have had the most fun anyone can have and get paid for it. As a horsepower nut, gas turbines are just the ultimate. If you ever get the chance to hear one fire up, go for it. It is something to behold. Even after 16 years, I still get a wild one every time I hear it.

herm0016
03-31-2007, 09:40 AM
I work in the Rozsa Center for the Performing Arts as a Lighting Designer, Electrician, Stage Manager, Carpenter. I am starting to do more sound stuff, though don't have a lot of experience. I also do a lot of the electronics repair for our theater. After next semester i will be the Master Electrician for the space. We have about 1100 seats and have shows almost every weekend ranging from cultural variety shows produced on campus by student groups, to big names in comedy, concerts like Reel Big Fish, Alan Parsons Live Project, Flogging Molly to shows just off Broadway like miss Saigon and Evita. I am also going to school for Mechanical Engineering, with a minor in Technical Theater. I am in my 3rd year.

P.S. I am still looking for a job for the summer.... :)

PierreB1965
03-31-2007, 09:59 AM
Hi guys

I'm new on the forum, but have been reading av for a while now.
i'll present myself,

i'm Pierre, and i come from the south shore of montreal. I've been a sound engineer for the past 22 years, presently working in a sports tv station, and also doing some post-production work for another tv station...
i've been around audio for a long time, but really came to love music when i was about 12 years old...

it's been a pleasure reading you so far, and i think it will be cool to excvhange with you in the future

Pierre B

westcott
03-31-2007, 10:22 AM
Hi guys

I'm new on the forum, but have been reading av for a while now.
i'll present myself,

i'm Pierre, and i come from the south shore of montreal. I've been a sound engineer for the past 22 years, presently working in a sports tv station, and also doing some post-production work for another tv station...
i've been around audio for a long time, but really came to love music when i was about 12 years old...

it's been a pleasure reading you so far, and i think it will be cool to excvhange with you in the future

Pierre B

Welcome. I think broadcast experience will provide some insights not possible from other disciplines in audio. Lip Sync comes to mind.

We are a pretty good group of people here, for the most part and we look forward to your participation. If someone does ruffle your feathers, take note and hang in there. It rarely happens twice and it is either from new comers or habitual trouble makers.

Send us pictures of your system, or your job site. I think all of us would like to see them.

westcott
03-31-2007, 10:27 AM
I work in the Rozsa Center for the Performing Arts as a Lighting Designer, Electrician, Stage Manager, Carpenter. I am starting to do more sound stuff, though don't have a lot of experience. I also do a lot of the electronics repair for our theater. After next semester i will be the Master Electrician for the space. We have about 1100 seats and have shows almost every weekend ranging from cultural variety shows produced on campus by student groups, to big names in comedy, concerts like Reel Big Fish, Alan Parsons Live Project, Flogging Molly to shows just off Broadway like miss Saigon and Evita. I am also going to school for Mechanical Engineering, with a minor in Technical Theater. I am in my 3rd year.

P.S. I am still looking for a job for the summer.... :)

I guess we would recognize you by your perpetual sunburn, hey?:ihih:

I was a light engineer for Pace Concerts way back when. I can sympathize with your sweat and burnt fingers. Good Luck with your ME degree. I am so glad I went back to school for mine. You will not regret it.

RoyY51
03-31-2007, 03:24 PM
It's fascinating to be able to attach a more complete mental image to the varied personalities on this forum. Wonderful idea!

I was a professional entertainer/musician for 16 years We made a couple of studio albums that never went anywhere (except the .99 cent bin at Thrifty Drug Store) but we had some great times and met a lot of great people (including my wonderful wife of 28 years). Kicked around in a lot of different jobs after that, was a house painter for 6 years. For the last 17 years (when I'm not being a practising homophobe) I've been in the retail paint business. I'm currently the regional paint instructor/dept. paint pro for Home Depot.

If you have any paint/stain/finishing questions, I'm always delighted to help!

Roy

royphil345
03-31-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm an unlicensed veterinarian... shhhhhhhh... I like to do some taxidermy in my spare time. I have the largest stuffed cat army in my area.