Personal Audio Space: Microsoft prototype software. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Personal Audio Space: Microsoft prototype software.

Smokey
03-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Microsoft Corp. showed off a sound system at its Redmond, Wash., headquarters that confines music to a single spot in a room -- and no one else can hear it.

The software prototype, dubbed Personal Audio Space, processes digital music and plays it through speakers in such a way that sound waves cancel each other out everywhere except where you want them focused.

Someone even a few paces away from the designated sound field cannot hear the music, the newspaper says. Researchers see applications in office settings and at home, so people watching late-night television do not have to keep the sound down.

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/business/news/article_1274305.php/Microsoft_offers_glimpse_of_tech_future

Dusty Chalk
03-11-2007, 01:53 AM
So...Microsoft reinvented headphones? Whoop. Dee. Doo.

Smokey
03-11-2007, 12:12 PM
You must admit that is a neat idea as headphones do have their limitations :)

ericl
03-12-2007, 10:04 AM
I think it's a neat idea too. I hate wearing headphones, and they're bad for your ears too. But I would have a use for this technology on a daily basis (office, late night TV).

Dusty Chalk
03-12-2007, 10:53 AM
I hate wearing headphones, and they're bad for your ears too. What?!?!? Where do you get this? It's just plain wrong, and irresponsible of you to say. If you're going to say something about volume, then it's volume that is bad for your ears, not the headphones.

Groundbeef
03-13-2007, 08:39 AM
What?!?!? Where do you get this? It's just plain wrong, and irresponsible of you to say. If you're going to say something about volume, then it's volume that is bad for your ears, not the headphones.

Nu-Uh...headphones are bad for you. Its just like a hat for your head. If you have a lot of ear hair, wearing headphones for extended time periods will cause it to fall out. And you know how chicks dig ear hair!