Anyone with PSB speaker's experience ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with PSB speaker's experience ?

superdougiefreshness
03-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Man are these PSB's beautiful. I just visited this site listed below and found the most handsome speakers. Does anyone know how they might sound ?

https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm

And does anyone think they might be similar to Ed Frias custom built model's. I am sending out my BIC Venturi's to be modified this next payday, I bought my pair of 52si's for $6 locally and was impressed at how powerful they were and way to bright; hence the crossover modification and subwoofer combo I will be adding shortly to one of my systems.

Yeah I know, I have about 10 topics here and yet they seem to actually be related..
Later Dudes :cornut:

Carl Reid
03-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Which model(s) are you considering? I think the resident PSB expert is Peruvian, so hopefully he'll jump into this thread and give you some feedback...

Anyway, from my experience listening to different models in the PSB Line (Alpha, Image and Platinum Lines).... I'd say that anyone you get is one of the best speakers in it's price class.... So PSB speakers are definitely worth checking out....

superdougiefreshness
03-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Which model(s) are you considering? I think the resident PSB expert is Peruvian, so hopefully he'll jump into this thread and give you some feedback...

Anyway, from my experience listening to different models in the PSB Line (Alpha, Image and Platinum Lines).... I'd say that anyone you get is one of the best speakers in it's price class.... So PSB speakers are definitely worth checking out....

Right On Dude, thanks for the post. Did Ed Frias have anything to do with PSB at all ? Especially the Piano Black finished models in the posted website ?

:cool:

HAVIC
03-10-2007, 07:48 PM
I've owned PSB's Image series speakers for more than a year now and love them for the priced I paid. I got them at 45% off retail, so I bought them site unheard and have been very happy. The prices on the website you listed looked nice.
However I would look to see if someone in your area sells them so you can give them a listen.

PeruvianSkies
03-10-2007, 07:58 PM
I am on my third pair of PSB speakers, I went from the T45's to the Image 7PT's, to the Platinum T6's. Let me tell you that they are some of the finest speakers made for all different budgets. You will not be disappointed with any of their models, but obviously it depends on what your expectations are and also what you are comparing them to. You seem interested in the Image line or the new G-Design (the Glossy Black) speakers, which are replacing their famous Stratus series, which has been a long-standing audiophile favorite. While the Platinum's do not have near the reputation over the long haul, they are clearly the best speakers in the PSB catalog and come with that price tag. They are also incredibly designed and well-crafted to superb beauty. I have not had a chance to see the G-Design's up close just yet, but look forward to both seeing and hearing them. Some have said that they are even 'better' than the Stratus line, which will certainly be a hard target to beat, but at their prices that's a great thing for the consumer.

The best thing about PSB speakers that have always been true is that they are superb speakers for fractions of their competitions price. Or the other way to look at it is that you get 3X the quality for the same price.

Ask away with some more questions and i'll try to answer to the best of my ability. Where are you located btw?

superdougiefreshness
03-10-2007, 11:14 PM
The best thing about PSB speakers that have always been true is that they are superb speakers for fractions of their competitions price. Or the other way to look at it is that you get 3X the quality for the same price.

Ask away with some more questions and i'll try to answer to the best of my ability. Where are you located btw?[/QUOTE]

I live in San Diego, California - Heaven on Earth....... :prrr:

PeruvianSkies
03-11-2007, 12:42 AM
I love, cherish, and own PSB speakers for the same reason that I drive and own Honda's. I come from a family of proud Honda owners, between my father, mother, and myself we have owned 11 Honda's in nearly 30 years. What we love about Honda's is they are reliable, affordable, and deliver great stylish performance at fractions of the cost of other companies. Same goes with PSB speakers. From the moment that I heard my first pair several years ago, until now, they have always delivered the goods at rediculous prices. Are there better car manufacturers out there than Honda? Of course. Many many many. There are also better speakers out there than PSB, but at a cost. My dream system would be a Gryphon Speaker System (costing about $250,000). So that's not going to happen anytime soon. Neither is the Lamborghini or the Porsche. However, I am content for now with my Honda and my Platinum T6's, which are like a Honda with some serious style and power (like a Acura RSX I suppose). The T6's outperformed all the other speakers that I tested out at the time I was shopping and blew away the competition of even some higher priced companies. Alot of people love B&W speakers or Paradigm and I have heard many great things about them and even tried out a few on my own. They were very good, but they didn't really "grab" me. When I first heard the T6's (driven by Classe monoblocks) and a Mark Levinson pre-amp, and Marantz transport I was floored and IN LOVE!

Why? Well, first I couldn't believe that a speaker at this price-point could just deliver some of the most amazing results. They were articulate with great high end, smooth mid-range, and some incredibly pronounced low end. At first I listened to the T8's, which are a bit bigger and also have a rear-tweeter. These were overkill and especially for my listening space. The T6's did not have near the overkill, but rather blended with amazing results and the imaging and soundfield was staggering!!! They do not produce the enormous soundstage that some of the more exotic speaker systems do, but once again then you are talking about speakers that cost as much as a house and also weigh as much as a car.

At this point I had owned 2 previous PSB speakers, but was not nearly as happy as they were unable to really be transparent and disappear, which is where the T6's excel. They vanished and it was just me and the music!!

Hopefully you can find a dealer in the beautiful San Diego area. I love SD and hope I can get back there one day. You are also near San Francisco so you may want to check out Parasound amps out that way!!!

Pat D
03-11-2007, 05:13 AM
I have not heard the PSB Alpha LR1, which lists at $199 a pair in the specifications window,

http://www.psbspeakers.com/product.php?pId=72&sId=4

I have a pair of PSB Stratus Minis, predecessor to the G series, which I got for the HT system. They had a stint in the main system, too, as we had done a lot of traveling, didn't want to spend too much money then, and really needed some speakers. They did quite well, too, though they are not quite as smooth as my current main speakers.

Anyway, PSB has long had a high quality line and are worth considering.

Feanor
03-11-2007, 05:39 AM
I own two PSB subwoofers. My Subsonc 6 serves in my HT set up, and my Subsonic 5 is in my stereo setup where it integrates well sith my Magneplanar MG 16.QR's.

Carl Reid
03-11-2007, 11:29 AM
One other piece of advice:

If you can, really try and listen to whichever PSB model you are interested in before buying. The comparison between PSB and Honda is really good. BUT, keep in mind that not everyone fancies Honda.... in the same way, PSB speakers are unlikely to offend you... they provide great value for money and all around good performance, but ultimately (depending on tastes) you may prefer something else.....

Though, If you have to buy without listening, then I'd say that PSB is probably the safest bet....

superdougiefreshness
03-11-2007, 03:23 PM
I will be sure and check PSB out and thanks for all the info. PSB has quite a following here in this forum it seems, similar to B&W I believe. And honestly I am a Toyota man myself and my old corola is worth about $1,500 but more to me because she is paid off and was given the darn thing when a family member died. Ok call me a huge dweeb, I honestly don't mind at all. A thousand bucks seems a small price to pay for such beauty. You see we are getting laid off from work and I think I may treat myself to a new set of speakers with some of my severance and this is a great start. Thanks for all your interest here for that's the cool thing about the forum being our lust of audio.
Talk to everyone later.
Doug - San Diego, Heaven on Earth - Especially in March - LOL
:ciappa:

PeruvianSkies
03-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Doug,

You could probably pick up the G-Design's for a bit over 1K and definitely the Image series for under 1K. Other companies will have similar models in this price range and they might seem comparable, but don't be fooled. PSB will deliver well above and beyond their price expectancies.

Some other companies you may want to check out would be TOTEM, TYLER ACOUSTICS, KEF, CASTLE ACOUSTICS, and maybe some of the other usual suspects.

superdougiefreshness
03-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Doug,

You could probably pick up the G-Design's for a bit over 1K and definitely the Image series for under 1K. Other companies will have similar models in this price range and they might seem comparable, but don't be fooled. PSB will deliver well above and beyond their price expectancies.

Some other companies you may want to check out would be TOTEM, TYLER ACOUSTICS, KEF, CASTLE ACOUSTICS, and maybe some of the other usual suspects.

What is the cost of the Totem Rainmaker's ? I have heard huge applause from other forum members about those particular models and I may reconsider spending whatever I can to get a pair. Of course I would audition them first. NOT ------- LOL, I might purchase on sight from what I've heard. Sorry for straying off topic a bit.....

Carl Reid
03-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Quick question Doug,

What's your budget for the speakers?

In addition to PSB and the other brands Peruvian suggested you check out.... for $1K or less (new) I would strongly suggest checking out Monitor Audio Silver Series - The RS6 are available for $1k new and are extremely well received by reviewers and consumers in both North America and Europe.... Also well worth checking out are Wharfedale and Mission.

Also, if you haven't already done so, check out B&W and Paradigm (I'm not a big fan of either, but you might really like them)....

MikeyBC
03-11-2007, 05:16 PM
I really like my PSB's I own 2 pair, the Stratus, an 8" 2 way very similar in looks to the original Gold's and the Stratus Silvers. They sound similar but the plain Stratus model seem more laid back. Id like to hear the Platinum line someday but until then I'm looking for a good deal on some Golds.

I also found them easy to deal with regarding repairs...One of my metal dome tweeters got crunched by a curious finger so i called them up direct and using a credit card over the phone ordered 2 new ones ( i always replace things in pairs) 3 days later they were at the door. I would recommend them to anyone.

Oh yeah...I too also have driven nothing but Hondas since 91.

Rock&Roll Ninja
03-11-2007, 06:36 PM
I'd be wary of a piano finish on anything sold as "factory second refurbished: cosmetic damage".

13" splits in veneer aside, I liked PSBs so much I bought them. Twice (Upgrade from Image 1B to Platinum M2)

PeruvianSkies
03-11-2007, 06:53 PM
I'd be wary of a piano finish on anything sold as "factory second refurbished: cosmetic damage".

13" splits in veneer aside, I liked PSBs so much I bought them. Twice (Upgrade from Image 1B to Platinum M2)

I too am not a huge fan of anything in a piano gloss finish except...well, a real piano. For my money I prefer dark cherry finish on my speakers and the Platinum's look great in dark cherry with the silver baffle. My Image 7PT's were also dark cherry and still look wonderful.

anamorphic96
03-11-2007, 09:11 PM
I myself am on my second pair of PSB's. The first pair where some Alpha Mini's used in the late 90's as surrounds. But they where quite good on there own and could not be beat for the 129.00 I paid for them.

I now use the Image B25's which are very impressive and probably one of the best speakers under 500.00. My next speakers will most likely be some M2's.

PeruvianSkies
03-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Are there other great speakers out there that are comparable to the PSBs? Of course, however it is completely up to your personal preference and taste. One quick thing that I wanted to point out about PSB speakers is the fact that they are incredibly neatral in sound and do not 'add' to the source, but rather replicate the source as accurately as possible and that accuracy gets better as you climb up their models. For this reason not everyone is a fan of their speakers and often times you will find that people typically prefer speakers that at first seem to be more aggressive and noticeable. The PSB line is typically more relaxed and less in-your-face. I also love this fact because they blend to well into a room and disappear so that you can enjoy your music. If this is what you desire than you are in the right direction, plus they look great too!

PeruvianSkies
03-11-2007, 11:17 PM
What is the cost of the Totem Rainmaker's ? I have heard huge applause from other forum members about those particular models and I may reconsider spending whatever I can to get a pair. Of course I would audition them first. NOT ------- LOL, I might purchase on sight from what I've heard. Sorry for straying off topic a bit.....

They are quite superb and come with a pricetag of about ...$950/pair and I believe that is without stands, which they sell two different models of stands to compliment the speaker, they list for about $200-$400. You could probably find a dealer selling both for about 1K even if not less than.

ericl
03-12-2007, 09:27 AM
My first pair of "good" speakers were a pair of PSB Image 4T. They were great, but I sold them many years ago so that I could try out a bunch of other speakers. Now I wish I had them back. I almost bought locally this weekend, but decided i don't really need them..

emorphien
03-12-2007, 02:51 PM
I auditioned probably 8 or 10 speakers before purchasing Totem Rainmakers myself. I really enjoy them but they can be unforgiving on some recordings. I also heard PSBs and they're very nice as well, and seem a little more forgiving on the recordings. I don't think you'll go wrong with either.

3db
03-13-2007, 05:30 AM
Man are these PSB's beautiful. I just visited this site listed below and found the most handsome speakers. Does anyone know how they might sound ?

https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm

And does anyone think they might be similar to Ed Frias custom built model's. I am sending out my BIC Venturi's to be modified this next payday, I bought my pair of 52si's for $6 locally and was impressed at how powerful they were and way to bright; hence the crossover modification and subwoofer combo I will be adding shortly to one of my systems.

Yeah I know, I have about 10 topics here and yet they seem to actually be related..
Later Dudes :cornut:

To me, PSB is the unsung hero of teh Canadian speaker manufacturers. They get the least reviews compared to that of Axiom or Paradigm and if it were for afew of us hardcore PSB fans, wouldn't even get mentioned on these web sites.

I wrote a review of my PSB Image T45s here on thi ssite. Check it out. The things I like best of PSB are these;
1.) Smooth revealing treble without being in your face, without being etchy. They just draw one in to listen rather than throwing out sound
2.) They won't do what they are not designed to do, my T45s won't do 30Hz deep bass and mess it up making it sound sloppy ruining the sound. What bass it does do is tight, fast, and well controlled.
3.) Mids are life like.
4.) No competitor in the same price bracket can image and land such a holographic sound stage like PSB. They are 2nd to none .

I have T45s, as my mains, Image8C center, Image 1Bs for my surrounds and PSB subsonic5 as my sub. I

emorphien
03-13-2007, 06:20 AM
To me, PSB is the unsung hero of teh Canadian speaker manufacturers. They get the least reviews compared to that of Axiom or Paradigm and if it were for afew of us hardcore PSB fans, wouldn't even get mentioned on these web sites.
Agreed. I like my Totems more than those other brands which is why I bought them, but I don't understand why PSB doesn't get more positive press. It's hard to compare Axiom to Paradigm or PSB because they don't make as broad a range of products, but I definitely prefer PSB to Paradigm without question.

PeruvianSkies
03-13-2007, 07:00 AM

I wrote a review of my PSB Image T45s here on thi ssite. Check it out. The things I like best of PSB are these;
1.) Smooth revealing treble without being in your face, without being etchy. They just draw one in to listen rather than throwing out sound
2.) They won't do what they are not designed to do, my T45s won't do 30Hz deep bass and mess it up making it sound sloppy ruining the sound. What bass it does do is tight, fast, and well controlled.
3.) Mids are life like.
4.) No competitor in the same price bracket can image and land such a holographic sound stage like PSB. They are 2nd to none .

I have T45s, as my mains, Image8C center, Image 1Bs for my surrounds and PSB subsonic5 as my sub. I

I always feel like I am just rambling on and on about PSB and apparently have become the "PSB resident" here, but that's just fine by me. They are one company that I stand by whole-heartedly and anyone who has actually given them a chance has the same understanding of what a genius design their product line is. The fact that Paul Barton sells off his genius designs at bottom prices is near lunacy!!!