OT: Need advice on webcams. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OT: Need advice on webcams.

Swish
03-09-2007, 01:51 PM
I loaded Skype on my PC and would like to add a nice webcam to my system to use with it and IM. I've never owned one and tried doing some research, but I don't know which way to go. The one that I am leaning toward is Creative Webcam Instant - Skype edition, and the reviews I read boast about its good performance and flawless installation. Do any of you have experience with this model or would you recommend something else? While I don't want to proclaim that money is no object, I would rather spend more money when it makes sense, so the price isn't terribly important.

Thanks,
Swish

MindGoneHaywire
03-09-2007, 02:27 PM
I've found that for basic video phone calls, there's no need to spend more than $50. Logitech makes a great one for notebooks, and recently I saw one for desktops as well. The Microsoft VX-3000 is okay, better than the HP for the same money. Only PITA with a Softee is that it's always trying to install and launch Windows Live Messenger & it seems like their hardware spends more time trying to update its software than you'll spend using the damned thing. As a general rule, I think Creative & Logitech are better bets than just about anything else for the same money. Obviously if you go above $50 you'll be getting more for your money, but I haven't felt the need to go there, so I can't speak to how much better they are.

Swish
03-09-2007, 05:07 PM
I've found that for basic video phone calls, there's no need to spend more than $50. Logitech makes a great one for notebooks, and recently I saw one for desktops as well. The Microsoft VX-3000 is okay, better than the HP for the same money. Only PITA with a Softee is that it's always trying to install and launch Windows Live Messenger & it seems like their hardware spends more time trying to update its software than you'll spend using the damned thing. As a general rule, I think Creative & Logitech are better bets than just about anything else for the same money. Obviously if you go above $50 you'll be getting more for your money, but I haven't felt the need to go there, so I can't speak to how much better they are.

...but when you didn't answer within 2 minutes I decided to post the question here and see what other RR'ers had to say. It appears not much, although Friday afternoon is hardly the busiest time for posters.

Regards,
Swish

bobsticks
03-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Hey Swishy,

I know there's been some chaos in your professional life of late, but...

...this doesn't involve a nominal charge by credit card and you dressing up like little-bo-peep does it?

Hang in there, we'll make it through this.

Cheers

ForeverAutumn
03-10-2007, 04:49 AM
Hey Swishy,

...this doesn't involve a nominal charge by credit card and you dressing up like little-bo-peep does it?

Cheers

LMAO! :thumbsup:

Hehehe. I'd pay to see that. ;)

Swish
03-10-2007, 08:25 AM
Hey Swishy,

Cheers

The only difference is that people will pay to see me, not the other way around. Hey, a guy has to make a living.

Swish

Swish
03-10-2007, 08:26 AM
LMAO! :thumbsup:

Hehehe. I'd pay to see that. ;)

...because you will have to pay to see it.

Swish

Audio Girl
03-10-2007, 10:51 PM
I'd definitely pay to see you, Swisheroo! ;0

Dusty Chalk
03-11-2007, 01:57 AM
(raises hand) I understood where you were going with that, bobsticks.

royphil345
03-11-2007, 03:35 AM
When I asked for webcam advice, most people told me to go with Logitech. There's one for a little over $30.00 that's very popular and supposedly the best web cam for the money. If you spend a little more, you generally get less lag and blurring with less light required for a nice picture.

I tried a Creative in the same price-range as the one you're looking at and it was pretty bad. Returned it. Color was bad, picture blurred easily with any movement. Got a Logitech QuickCam Pro and it's WAY better, although a little pricier than the Creative you're looking at. Still pleased with it.

The Logitechs also have a built in mic. The Creatives require you to use a separate mic or headset hooked to your sound card. To be honest, the separate mic sounds better. Audio can be a bit choppy using some messenger programs with the combined USB audio / video. I like having the option of not having to plug in a mic or headset though. You can use a separate mic or headset connected to your sound card with the Logitech cams. Just select the desired audio source in your software. Mics or headsets generally not included with the Logitech cams though...

Swish
03-11-2007, 05:37 AM

...since Mary is out of hibernation. How goes it girlfriend?

Swish

Swish
03-11-2007, 05:40 AM
When I asked for webcam advice, most people told me to go with Logitech. There's one for a little over $30.00 that's very popular and supposedly the best web cam for the money. If you spend a little more, you generally get less lag and blurring with less light required for a nice picture.

I tried a Creative in the same price-range as the one you're looking at and it was pretty bad. Returned it. Color was bad, picture blurred easily with any movement. Got a Logitech QuickCam Pro and it's WAY better, although a little pricier than the Creative you're looking at. Still pleased with it.

The Logitechs also have a built in mic. The Creatives require you to use a separate mic or headset hooked to your sound card. To be honest, the separate mic sounds better. Audio can be a bit choppy using some messenger programs with the combined USB audio / video. I like having the option of not having to plug in a mic or headset though. You can use a separate mic or headset connected to your sound card with the Logitech cams. Just select the desired audio source in your software. Mics or headsets generally not included with the Logitech cams though...

...since I already ordered the Creative Labs model. I did so before seeing your post, but since this is directly from the company, it won't be too difficult to return if I don't like the performance. I really appreciate your comments though, and I'll certainly be looking for the problems you mention.

Swish

MindGoneHaywire
03-11-2007, 09:37 AM

AG, off-topic, do you still have the same email address? I was asked to pass along a message...

Audio Girl
03-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Hi Swisheroo and MindGoneHaywire,

Yep, it's spring and I have sprung! :0 My email address is the same. It's a hotmail account preceded by mlc and my last name. Possibly a bank "heist". :-)

Things are going well. Everything is pretty much status quo. The only child "reupped" for four more on 10/2/2006 much to his mom's dismay (he didn't realize and still doesn't). However, he was able to choose where his base would be, and he chose Frankfurt, Germany. He is working there at the American Consulate (embassy) and finishing his degree. That is, unless he is deployed for round #3. His Mom and Dad hope to visit him in 2008, unless he is in "the promised land".

Hope all is well with you and yours,
Mary

ericl
03-14-2007, 09:44 AM

Royphil's right, Logitech's QuickCam Pro's are generally the best. I used every webcam imaginable at my previous job where we tested video conferencing software. Logitech's were the reference and the QuickCam Pro was the model best. Although that was two years ago, i don't know how much has changed since then..

For a headset, get an analog plantronics headset. Simple, reliable. Don't get a USB one.. they break.

Swish
03-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Royphil's right, Logitech's QuickCam Pro's are generally the best. I used every webcam imaginable at my previous job where we tested video conferencing software. Logitech's were the reference and the QuickCam Pro was the model best. Although that was two years ago, i don't know how much has changed since then..

For a headset, get an analog plantronics headset. Simple, reliable. Don't get a USB one.. they break.

I just returned from a 3 day conference and my Creative Labs webcam just arrived. I'll probably set it up this weekend and let you know my thoughts on it. I plan to buy 2 or 3 more and will certainly consider Logitech based on your feedback...especially if the CL model isn't very good.

Thanks again,
Swish