Borat [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Borat

Groundbeef
03-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Well, I bought it on Tuesday @ BB for $14.99, CC had it for $13.99, but its not near where I was going. Wife and I are going to watch tomorrow, and I'll let you all know how it was.

A friend of mine watched it the other night,and suggested that I be careful not to soil myself from laughing to hard.

Has anyone else seen this "movie picture show"?

thekid
03-09-2007, 02:55 PM
You will love it but be prepared.........it is definitely not for the "PC" crowd.
I bought my copy at the Wal-Mart and the cashier said people have been buying it all day long.

Worf101
03-21-2007, 05:29 AM
Wow, talk about disturbing. You laugh and cringe all at the same time. Don't know if it said more about the nature of life here in America or Sasha's warped sense of humor. There are some downright priceless scenes in this movie. The jocks in the bus were sad, frightening and poignant all at the same time kinda like people I suppose. The pentacostal church scene had me rolling. My Sister was/is a COGIC, full blown, rolling on the floor, speaking in tongues pentacostal just like those folks. I've gone to some church meetings and had much the same feeling I did watching that scene. But again, much like the boys in the bus, you can tell they, in their own way, were truly trying to help Borat. Interesting movie... quite interesting.

Da Worfster

Groundbeef
03-21-2007, 05:46 AM
It was a hard film to watch, like a bad car wreck.

There were some funny points, I have to confess the dinner party was my favorite part by far.

Where he confuses "retired" with "retarded" is no doubt a gut-buster.

"Can we stay for dessert"

"No, in fact we have called the Sherrif, and he's on the way"

"Why, did the retard escape?"

Makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Worf101
03-21-2007, 10:40 AM
It was a hard film to watch, like a bad car wreck.

There were some funny points, I have to confess the dinner party was my favorite part by far.

Where he confuses "retired" with "retarded" is no doubt a gut-buster.

"Can we stay for dessert"

"No, in fact we have called the Sherrif, and he's on the way"

"Why, did the retard escape?"

Makes me laugh just thinking about it.
Thanks G.B. I just spit coffee all over my screen and keyboard. This is the third one this month!!!!!

That was a good scene but having Southern Black roots, I found it a little too painful to watch.

Da Worfster

Troy
03-21-2007, 01:42 PM
I thought it was worth the price of admission just for the faces of the poor innocent people in the elevator . . .

Very effective movie as both a comedy AND as social commentary.

PeruvianSkies
03-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Don't you hate when you see a trailer and think a movie looks great only to be disappointed? Sure. What is worse is when you see a trailer and then see the movie only to realize that they are not the same movie. BORAT suffers from poor marketed and it's easy to tell that they just didn't know how to market this film. Most of the funny scenes are the ones that are too vulgur for the trailer and therefore they are left with semi-funny scenes, but they also lose their context because this film is a 'commentary' as others have already said. So it's a hard film to really promote well. I felt this same way with ABOUT SCHMIDT. Great film, but if you went in thinking that the movie was a comedy (like how they promoted it) you would probably have been really disappointed. I was fortunate enough to see this film before it was released at a critics screening so I had no pre-conceptions of the film.

Anyone else feel that BORAT is a different film than what the commercials or trailers would lead you to believe?

SlumpBuster
03-22-2007, 07:37 PM
The amazing thing about this movie was that Borat got through at least two local news departments (one with the weatherman and one in the DVD outtakes where the local news reports on Borat singing at the rodeo) without anyone -- anyone! I say -- knowing and or figuring it out. No one had HBO?!? Fine, okay, people at the rodeo and in deep south missed the Ali G Show. But shouldn't people in television have a greater awareness of what is actually on television?

AmpItUP
03-27-2007, 12:50 AM
Well, I couldn't stop laughing when I watched this movie. It was different from what I normally watch, but I enjoyed it.

AmpItUP
03-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Well, I couldn't stop laughing when I watched this movie. It was different from what I normally watch, but I enjoyed it.