Genesis Remasters: No SACD for North America [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Genesis Remasters: No SACD for North America

Woochifer
03-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Another casualty of an earlier format war ... the first six remastered Genesis discs will come out in April in Europe, but the SACD versions will be unavailable in North America. Why? Because Rhino Records is distributed by Warner Music, which only supports DVD-A (all the while no longer issuing any new titles in that format) even though they are no longer part of the Time Warner media empire.

About the SACDs, why did you chose the format SACD for the Rereleases and why will they not be releases on SACD in North America?

Nick Davis: Well, we've chosen the format SACD because - well I really like the sound of it! We had a demo of that machine three or four years ago and I thought it was fantastic. At the time we thought it would be the best way to deal with the Genesis music and do the re-release justice, really - by mixing it in this format. Ok, we see now that it's quite a niche market.
Not releasing the stuff on this format in America has nothing to do with the band, it's just that Warner won't support SACD and so it's not our choice really. We could force them to do DVD-A, but then we would be stuck with two DVD releases and no CD. So that would be quite complicated. So in America, they get a regular CD and a DVD-Video and in Europe you get a SACD and DVD-V

Speaking about the new mixes, what did you do, did you just remix the stuff or it it something completely new?

Nick Davis: We did a complete new mix of everything. We've taken the old analogue multitrack tapes and transfered them onto our protools-system which is running at 192kHz and 24 bit PCM and then mix through on a SSL analogue desk onto this DSD [Direct Stream Digital] system. So you get completely new 5.1 and Stereo Mixes on both, the SACD and CD Layer.

http://www.genesis-news.com/genesis/reviews/sacds/interview-with-nick-davis.htm

Basically, these discs are totally new mixes, so even the CD versions will sound very different from previous versions. I've heard some of the new two-channel remixes, and they improve upon the earlier CD versions. But, with all the effort that went into the 5.1 mixes, it's unbelievable that fans in North American are stuck without any high res version because of some format war remnant that has long since faded into irrelevancy.

As it is, the remasters will be issued as two-disc sets with a CD and a DVD. The DVD will feature video content plus the 5.1 audio mix in DTS 96/24, while the CD will feature the new Nick Davis mixes. The initial six releases will also be featured in a Genesis: 1976-1982 boxed set that also includes a 40-page booklet and a bonus disc featuring b-sides (includes the four tracks from 2x2/Side 4 of the North American version of Three Sides Live) and other non-album tracks.

http://www.genesis-news.com/genesis/reviews/sacds/1976-1982.htm

For fans in Asia, Europe, and South America, the remasters will have the same two-disc content, except with a CD/SACD hybrid disc. So, for anyone who wants the Genesis SACDs, they'll have to order them as imports.

While the European version is due out first, the DVD included with each set is in the PAL video standard, which makes it incompatible with North American TVs. I already checked CD Universe, and they are asking $44 per title! This is for a CD/SACD hybrid disc plus a DVD that most fans in North America cannot play through their TV. Amazon's asking $246 for the boxed set that contains Genesis' six 1976-1982 albums.

The Asian version is the one to get because it includes the hybrid disc and the DVD is encoded for NTSC. But, the release information has not yet been posted, so who knows what the pricing will be.

Dusty Chalk
03-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Grrr...I already have to buy the Depeche Mode remasters from an importer because of this, now Genesis, too? I guess I need to start whittling down my list, 'cause I ain't getting everything at those prices...

PeruvianSkies
03-07-2007, 09:41 PM
I am somewhat surprised that they are not doing SACD, but at the same time I am not all that disappointed. I was not the least bit impressed with the Peter Gabriel SACD's, although maybe the GENESIS is in multi-channel? Let's hope.

Those DEPECHE MODE SACD's are well worth the money as their SACD mixes are well done and blow away the CD's.

kexodusc
03-08-2007, 04:31 AM
Son of a...This is gonna hurt the wallet a bit, I've been really looking forward to those SACD's. Ugh. Damn.

Woochifer
03-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Grrr...I already have to buy the Depeche Mode remasters from an importer because of this, now Genesis, too? I guess I need to start whittling down my list, 'cause I ain't getting everything at those prices...

Hopefully, the Japanese import will carry a more reasonable price, given how weak the dollar has been against the European currencies. The Asian release would be the one to get anyway, since it uses the NTSC video standard while the European imports will use PAL.

I am somewhat surprised that they are not doing SACD, but at the same time I am not all that disappointed. I was not the least bit impressed with the Peter Gabriel SACD's, although maybe the GENESIS is in multi-channel? Let's hope.

All versions will include 5.1 mixes and the new two-channel remixes. The only difference is that the North American version limits the multichannel mixes to the DTS 96/24 tracks included with the bonus DVDs, while the European, Asian, and South American versions will also include them with the CD/SACD hybrid disc.

This won't be the same situation as the Peter Gabriel SACDs since those releases did not entail any remixing of the original stereo tracks, and they lacked multichannel mixes and CD-compatible layers.

Son of a...This is gonna hurt the wallet a bit, I've been really looking forward to those SACD's. Ugh. Damn.

I was looking forward to these releases as well. This remixing project has been ongoing since 2003, so it's disappointing/infuriating that something as arbitrary as Warner Music's refusal to support SACD winds up shortchanging fans in North America. Oh well, I guess that Warner figured that there are a lot more DTS decoders out there than SACD players.

Mr MidFi
03-09-2007, 09:40 AM
Want to know what I'm gonna buy for sure?

This:
A Trick Of The Tail SACD / DVD (CD / DVD)

Tracks on the SACD / CD:
Dance On A Volcano
Entangled
Squonk
Mad Man Moon
Robbery, Assault And Battery
Ripples
A Trick Of The Tail
Los Endos

DVD-Contents:
complete album in Dolby Digital 5.1 (audio only)
complete album in dts Surrond (audio only)
Making of A Trick Of The Tail - 2006 Band Interviews
Robbery, Assault And Battery (music video)
A Trick Of The Tail (music video)
Ripples (music video)
'White Rocks' Premiere Programme 1977 (gallery 8 pictures)
I Know What I Like (Live In Concert 1976 Video)
Fly On A Windshield (Live In Concert 1976 Video)
Carpet Crawler (Live In Concert 1976 Video)
Cinema Show (Live In Concert 1976 Video)
Entangled (Live In Concert 1976 Video)
Supper's Ready (Live In Concert 1976 Video)
Los Endos (Live In Concert 1976 Video)
Technical information: The music videos are available inin Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 and dts Sound (as on the DVD The Video Show). All other contents are available in Dolby Digital 2.0. There are no subtitles.

One of my all-time top 10 favorite titles, and I've been listening to the crap-tacular original CD release for many years now. This is going to be sweeeeeeet.

PeruvianSkies
03-10-2007, 08:40 PM
I live by imports! Majority of my DVD collection and now alot of my SACD's are imports because we get "jipped" in the US. However, I kinda like it. It makes things more special and meaningful when you have to search out and get what most people don't have. So I guess it's a double edge sword. While it might be a pain to find it is also makes your collection more ecclectic.

N. Abstentia
03-11-2007, 07:25 AM
What's a good website to order SACD imports?

PeruvianSkies
03-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Most of the time I get them from eBay from a seller HKrecords. Also check out the Amazon sites from different regions, even Canada or the UK offer some items that are different. There is also acousticsounds.com and marecordings.com or cd-wow.com. Happy hunting!!!

Javier
03-14-2007, 04:04 PM
in the past i used camino records great service ( Steve Hackett managment) i,m also looking forwrd for this releases

Rich-n-Texas
03-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Thank you very much for your post Mr MidFi. I was about to ask if anyone new of any Genesis concert videos/DVD's, but the title you mentioned will more than satisfy my need for Audio/Visual Genesis. :thumbsup:

Mr MidFi
03-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Thank you very much for your post Mr MidFi. I was about to ask if anyone new of any Genesis concert videos/DVD's, but the title you mentioned will more than satisfy my need for Audio/Visual Genesis. :thumbsup:

Lord only knows what the A/V quality will be on those bonus video goodies...but I'm pretty eager to see it, regardless. Should be interesting!

Rich-n-Texas
04-03-2007, 11:42 AM
CD Universe is showing this as being available on the tenth, and can be pre-ordered now for $25. Some notes from the site: "2007 digitally remastered expanded reissue of the first post-Peter Gabriel Genesis album..." And "Both formats offer 5.1 Surround mixes in both Dolby and dts standards while the SACD hybrid presents the regular redbook CD standard. In addition, the DVD presents period promotional video shorts and live concert clips that were lensed at the time of the album's release and promotional tour as well as reunion interviews taped in 2007 discussing the album's creation."

This is the one you're talking about right?

Dave_G
04-03-2007, 05:39 PM
So are any of you going to one of the Genesis gigs?

Dave

kexodusc
04-04-2007, 03:46 AM
If/when any of you snarf any of these SACD's up at a decent price, please post here and let us know where you got'em!!!

Olivertmc
04-04-2007, 03:04 PM
DaveG:

I got tickets for the September show at Giants Stadium. I can't even express how excited I am. They are the first band that really got me "into music". I played their albums to death throughout my youth. I'm dying to find out what they'll be playing. You?

Olivertmc

Dave_G
04-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Nah.

No interest in them. I saw Steve Hackett solo touring Defector, PG many times, the Duke tour, and The Musical Box three times so I have it all covered except Genesis w/ PG and SH, which of course I would have loved to see...

I love the old school Genesis music but this tour has no appeal to me, but I hope you have a blast.

Let us know how it was.

Dave

Rich-n-Texas
04-15-2007, 08:35 AM
CD Universe is showing this as being available on the tenth, and can be pre-ordered now for $25. Some notes from the site: "2007 digitally remastered expanded reissue of the first post-Peter Gabriel Genesis album..." And "Both formats offer 5.1 Surround mixes in both Dolby and dts standards while the SACD hybrid presents the regular redbook CD standard. In addition, the DVD presents period promotional video shorts and live concert clips that were lensed at the time of the album's release and promotional tour as well as reunion interviews taped in 2007 discussing the album's creation."

So much for the April 10 release date. Last time I checked my Wish List @ CD Universe, it showed the 17th as the new release date. Typical. Guess the RIAA hasn't gotten their latest DRM algorithm worked out yet. :rolleyes:

Rich-n-Texas
04-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Trick of the Tail SACD Hybrid at CD Universe. $25.35. It's not showing up at Amazon.com yet, so I'll wait a few days to see what they list it for.