Advice on where to trim to get within budget... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Advice on where to trim to get within budget...

ineedavfordummies
03-07-2007, 05:24 PM
This is my first time posting and I need help! We are finishing our media room/bar area in our basement and just had it wired for speakers and components. We now need to figure out what exactly to put in the space. Our budget is 4-5K. The original quote we got from the av place (who did the wiring) is closer to 6500-8000. We want the best system we can get and still stay within our original budget(of course). Here are some more facts:

The room is a T shape with the top of the T being the long part 29w x 12d, and the bottom of the T is the "bump out" where the tv and sectional is going and is 16w x 12d.

Speakers are wired for either 5.1 or 7.1. What we want to do is use the back speakers (in the top of the T space) for the surround sound or for a second zone for the bar/cocktail table area.

There will also be a tv above the bar (26-32"). The bar is in the top left corner of the T.

There are 2 glass block windows above the bar and the light will not get to the tv area.

The area will be carpeted (except for tile by the bar).

We listen to alternative or rock music.

We are not total audio/videophiles, but love to watch tv/movies with great sound.

Want to get something that is good, but not the best (Nissan, not Infinity).

Worried about DLP tv making me dizzy??? Watched nephews playing video games on 60" DLP and I couldn't watch it because it was making me sick. Is this the tv??

These are the components quoted:

Sony AS Receiver 900-
Oppo DVD 1080 230-
4 Def Tech Inwall Speakers 600-
Def Center Speaker 200-
2 8" Def Subwoofers 800-
2 Inwall Back Speakers 230-
HACC Power Supply 200-
HVID-MX350 5 Device Remote 150-

50" Sony SXRD 1080 2200-
50" LG Plasma 2800-

We paid 750 for the wiring, it is another 520 for the cables, and 700 for installation.

Any thoughts on different receivers, speakers, tv that will be good quality but not quite as much as what we have here?

Thanks!

westcott
03-08-2007, 05:01 AM
I think the prices you quoted for wiring installtation is either confusing or VERY expensive. I suggest two more quotes for regular electrical contractors.

I am afraid to say that you, like my family, can not tolerate DLP. It will give some people headaches and can cause nausea for some of us after 15 minutes or so. I suggest LCD. You could save even more money and get a bigger picture with a front projector. If you do want a flat panel, I suggest a Pioneer or a Panasonic. Sony's upper end is also a good choice like the SXRD you pointed out. Compare prices and picture and see if there is any savings there.

To shave some more money, wait on the 7.1 configuration. Wire for it but wait on the last two rear surrounds and stick with a 5.1 configuration fo now.

Not sure why you need a 200 watt power supply. A good surge protector and combination signal conditioner can be had for half that. I suggest the Tripp Lite Isobar HT10. A Logitech Harmony like the 688 can be had for about $100 now a days and is every bit as functional.

I would suggest a different reciever. Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Harman Kardon, and Pioneer Elite although the later may be too expensive for your budget.

The Oppo is a great choice for an older DVI display but everything is going HDMI so I suggest a Panasonic S77 or 97 for the latter application.

I usually do not suggest in walls unless that is the only way you can get the significant other to buy into the project. This can compromise the capable sound quailty of a good cabineted speaker that is properly positioned. Once you mount and wire an in wall, there is not moving it. Sheetrock and wall studs are no match for a well engineered and constructed speaker cabinet for audio quality. Whatever route, try to make sure all the front speakers are mounted at ear level and equal height to each other.

Lastly, wait on the second sub or both subs if you have to, or until your budget recovers. Do not forget to lay phone lines, ethernet, and whatever else you can foresee if they are going in a wall.

Hope this helps.

Rock789
03-08-2007, 10:31 AM
These are the components quoted:

Sony AS Receiver 900-
Oppo DVD 1080 230-
4 Def Tech Inwall Speakers 600-
Def Center Speaker 200-
2 8" Def Subwoofers 800-
2 Inwall Back Speakers 230-
HACC Power Supply 200-
HVID-MX350 5 Device Remote 150-

50" Sony SXRD 1080 2200-
50" LG Plasma 2800-

We paid 750 for the wiring, it is another 520 for the cables, and 700 for installation.

Any thoughts on different receivers, speakers, tv that will be good quality but not quite as much as what we have here?

Thanks!

note on the oppo... make sure you get the 1080p version with the hdmi... I think that price is correct for this version of the oppo (~$230)

I persoally don't like the sony receivers... I know some people love them, including two of my very good friends... but you can get an hk, denon, integra, pioneer elite,... which will do what you need for ~<$700...

are thoes 8" def tech subs in wall subs?

if you don't want inwall subs, check out parts express dayton subs... you can save a lot and will get worlds better performance!!!
the titanic kits are awsome, but the cheaper dayton subs would be good too...

another question... if the prices above are for each speaker... you can find some cheaper in walls which sound very good (see paradigm and focal jm labs)
if thoes prices are for the entire line... thoes prices are good...

also... if you are pushing the budget, stick with 5 channel...
it will be better to be happy with the speakers for a 5ch, than get 2 more speakers you are not happy with...

also, guessin you auditioned these speakers? (similar to the sony, I personally don't like def tech's but a lot of people love them... personal preference, make sure you like them before you buy them...)

ineedavfordummies
03-08-2007, 04:23 PM
The 750 included monster wiring to the bar tv so both can be on an HD DVR. (Extra 300). The distance between the 2 tvs is around 22', and a lot of wiring had to go between the 2.
I like the inwall speakers... looks mostly...
The subs are free standing, not in the wall. Is it okay to not get the subs right away?
I am getting another quote for everything. The wiring needed to be done, and the original place was recommended to me by someone I trust, but who also got a smaller system 5 years ago.

westcott
03-08-2007, 04:41 PM
That explains the high price for wiring. Monster cables are decent quality but are overpriced. Good margins in cables for the installers.

Mr Peabody
03-08-2007, 08:32 PM
My thoughts are your electronics will be decent but I wouldn't go to anything lower in quality. I'd get at least one sub, if not both, with using in wall. I agree with just going 5.1, the rears will not make suitable listening while at the bar anyway. You may want to consider a receiver with dual zone and put a pair of speakers closer to the bar, or opt for a second system just for music in the top of the T later as finance permits. I guess this probably didn't help trim the budget though.

I have a DLP 62" Toshiba and I have no idea what you all are talking about when you say it makes you dizzy. I sit probably too close at about 12 feet away and the effect is no different than any other TV. Price is coming down on LCD and I'd recommend that because of wall mount capability and DLP bulbs having to be replaced on an average of every 2,000 hours.

Isn't any project over budget in the end?

Rock789
03-08-2007, 08:55 PM
The subs are free standing, not in the wall. Is it okay to not get the subs right away?
yes!!!
in fact, do not get thoes subs!!!
save some money and get a better sub such as the titanic 15"
you won't be sorry
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-764

AVMASTER
03-09-2007, 04:08 PM
as a customer installer I understand your concern and there's quite a few things you can do: skip the additional sub; skip the Sony ES receiver--look for another with powered second zone for the bar area( Denon AVR1907 $550.00 makes a good choice); skip the DLP and Sony SXRD then search for a JVC HD-ILA--a 56" 1080p can be had for the same price or better , the MX350 is good but you could use a Harmony H670 ($125.00), skip the power supply and try a Panamax pm8cex ($60.00), skip the Oppo--since your really into movies you'll want to opt for an even better one. As far as speakers are concerned, only you know what sounds good to you but i would skip in-walls, if it's possible the wiring can be moved, maybe the Mirage Nanosat package could work. There's plenty of speakers out there so check out several with your own music b-4 you settle on the Def Tech

westcott
03-19-2007, 04:54 AM
My buddy just picked up a Denon 3805 for US$500.

What a deal. They went for double that when they first came out.