Yet another Bjork thread... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Bjork thread...

bobsticks
03-07-2007, 03:40 PM
So I took a personal day to get some things done at the homestead and, inevitably, that got interupted. Long story made short, on the return trip home I took a different route than usual and ran into yet another new music post in Indy. Herafter known as "Davey's" this little spot had the largest collection of obscure titles I have ever seen.

Searching through the jazz section I came across Bjork Guomundsdottir & trio Guomundar Ingolfssonar~ Gling-Glo I thought it quite a novelty that there was "another" Bjork and snapped it up on general principle. It turns out that it is, indeed, our heroine, Ms. Glockenschpiel herself.

It appears that "It's Oh So Quiet" is not an anomoly. Gling-Glo(1990) is an entire album of jazzy swing a la Jane Monheit. One listen under my belt would lead me to believe that if one liked "It's Oh So Quiet" one would be quite fond of this despite its origins in her native Icelandic tongue.

Anyone ever heard or heard of this bit of tunage?

Peace

Dusty Chalk
03-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Yeah, it's really early in her career, I want to say, pre-Sugarcubes. (looks it up) Nope, it apparently was immediately after Sugarcubes, yet pre-Debut. It's a must-have if you're already a fan, but I would never recommend it as a first album to get by her.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Bjork_Hurricane.jpg

kexodusc
03-08-2007, 04:46 AM
I shelled out good coin to get Gling-Glo way back when. Ugh. Think I've listened to it maybe a dozen times tops. Not my cuppa tea as far as she goes. Think maybe this should be reserved for only the most devout Bjork fans...if you're not already in prison for a Bjork related offence, don't bother.

Slosh
03-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Hey, did you always think to yourself the world would be a better place if The Decemberists covered Bjork's "Human Behavior"? Of course you did and lucky you, here's your chance to see it become a reality:

http://www.mediafire.com/?1n22h0nnzdy

bobsticks
03-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Not only had I thought that, but I believe I said that outloud. Possibly in public.

nobody
03-09-2007, 07:42 AM
This is still my favorite Bjork video...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBS3y6OoTZM">Bjork</a>

Davey
03-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Herafter known as "Davey's" this little spot had the largest collection of obscure [but always so full of tasty goodness] titles I have ever seen.
Yeah, never heard that Bjork disc, but heard some about it at the time, probably late 90s or maybe earlier. I do love it when she works with a chamber orchestra, like the string octet on Homogenic. Adds a nice dimension.

Speaking of our snow pixie, the Hector Zazou CD "Songs from the Cold Seas" has a real Bjork charmer called "Visur Vatnsenda-Rosu". Made it on one of those "Song of the Day" comps we did a few years back. You weren't around back then, were you? Might have made it onto one of her best of collections too, not sure. This one has some of the same cast as the previous "Sahara Blue" (my favorite), but mostly with the ladies on vocal spotlight with an especially great performance by the always amazing Jane Siberry. Nice duet between John Cale and Suzane Vega. And much exotica throughout. The Finnish group Varttina does great song called "Annuka Suaren Neito" to open the album. Lots of arctic feel on that CD. Nice stuff. I've got a bunch of his stuff, but that early to mid 90s period is what I like the most. If you enjoy Celtic flavored music, the one called "Lights In the Dark" is an incredibly beautiful album. Beautiful recording too. I've talked about it before, but it resurrected some ancient Celtic songs and refreshed them with some modern music production employing three very special ladies and his usual cast of luminaries, including Brendan Perry of DCD and Peter Gabriel and many others. Very spiritual and haunting recording. Maybe too religious for some, but beautiful music and classy production nonetheless.

Got some Califone spinning around right now. Having to work swing shift for awhile, but at least get to hear some more music in the mornings. Doesn't get much better than Roots & Crowns for me ...

the eye you lost in the crusades
is planted in the sand
kneeling by wait to reap another sight

bobsticks
03-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Got some Califone spinning around right now. Having to work swing shift for awhile, but at least get to hear some more music in the mornings. Doesn't get much better than Roots & Crowns for me ...

the eye you lost in the crusades
is planted in the sand
kneeling by wait to reap another sight

It's interesting that you would add that because the impetus for the name was the rather sizable collection of Califone titles at the shop. First place I've seen any titles, much less several. I was gonna throw out a "Which Califone...?" dealio but you beat me to it. "Roots and Crowns" it is.

Peace out