Why not Sony? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Why not Sony?

rick390
03-06-2007, 09:39 PM
When I see receivers recommended on this forum its always the usual suspects, Pioneer, Yamaha, and Denon. Is there something wrong with Sony?

I've read some good things about the Sony STR-DG1000 receiver on cnet. Is there a reason for the apparent bias against Sony? Does anyone have comments about Sony in general or the DG1000 in particular?

anamorphic96
03-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Sony ES is good but there regular receivers tend to have a poor build quality and really poor power supply sections. This tends to cause the sound to suffer. Do a side by side comparison with an entry level Yamaha,Denon, Pioneer, Marantz or HK, and the differences will be heard.

Dusty Chalk
03-06-2007, 11:56 PM
I own a Sony, actually. Can't disrecommend it, but can't really recommend it, either -- it sounds a bit etched. But there's nothing really wrong with it. I'm sure there are things wrong with entry level equipment of other brands as well. I think we forget to mention every option is all.

kexodusc
03-07-2007, 04:53 AM
Truth is there's some crappy ES models and some pretty good base model Sony's. Sony's just one of those brand names that are hit and miss. They have a lot of built up negative publicity for quality concerns that isn't undeserved. But that doesn't mean a Sony receiver will fry. I always look at them in stores, play with them, crank the snot out of them when I can, and they keep up with comparable Pioneer, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha models etc. Except they seem to carry a higher price for what you get. But if the right deal came along I don't think a Sony would be the worst thing for a home theater receiver.

I bought one in 1999, an STRDE-635 model I think. I did everything I could to fry that thing in college. I just gave it to my parents for their second system, but it still works as good as ever (despite only having Dolby Digital processing). Back then, a Yamaha, Marantz, or Denon would have been 50-100% more expensive.

I think the biggest reasons people don't recommend Sony products much are:
1) everyone loves to hate the "big names". Seems in this industry, the smaller the company, the more people like to flaunt their gear like an accessory.
2) Sony's hit-and-miss track record putting out quality products
3) Price/value

Buying a Sony is like buying a Chevy or Pontiac now. If the right model or deal should come along I'd say go ahead. They can make a Corvette, but they also make a lot of Cobalts.

royphil345
03-07-2007, 04:54 AM
There are a few desirable Sony receivers. Although, the recent regular line receivers are well-known for being underpowered and easily damaged and stuck in "protect" mode. Some of the recent ES receivers tended to be buggy as well.

westcott
03-07-2007, 05:21 AM
I am not sure why, but a lot of manufacturers tend to accell at some things and seem to care less about other products in their offerings. Sony can make a great TV when they want to and did for many years while the R&D put ito DVD players and receivers seems to be less of a priority. I really struggled when it came time to buy a Megachanger. Only a handful of companies even offer them and I did buy a Sony, with much consternation that it would not hold up. I have had it over a year and it is doing well so far and it has great features but to really take advantage of the great features, you need an additonal battery back up system because all of your settings and data entry for CD titles and such, hit lists, etc. will be lost if the power is lost. Now for $5 more, they could have had provided non volatile memory. They also still insist on proprietary practices. So, they only read CD data from Sony released titles unless you burn your own with the CD text on it. You can daisy chain multiple megachangers but only via analog. It has digital capability but only in stand alone mode. I could go on but you get the picture. If they put as much effort into all their products as they do in some of their TVs, I would have not problem recommending their receivers. And stop all this proprietary non sense SONY. It is killing your business, slowly but surely.

topspeed
03-07-2007, 08:06 AM
I think everyone here has pretty much nailed it. My biggest problem with Sony AVR's is the sound quality. It's just to brittle and sterilized for my taste. I'm also well aware of the QC problems Sony has had, which makes it tough to recommend them even though personally I've had a Sony dvd changer in my bedroom rig for years now and it still refuses to die. Like others have said, it's hit and miss with them.

shokhead
03-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Sony receivers always seem to lack something.

N. Abstentia
03-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Sony receivers always seem to lack something.

Quality? Musicality? Power? Good sound? The list goes on....

Robert-The-Rambler
03-08-2007, 03:44 PM
When I see receivers recommended on this forum its always the usual suspects, Pioneer, Yamaha, and Denon. Is there something wrong with Sony?

I've read some good things about the Sony STR-DG1000 receiver on cnet. Is there a reason for the apparent bias against Sony? Does anyone have comments about Sony in general or the DG1000 in particular?

I use separate amps so not having that in the $400 price range receiver market kills the deal without even listening. I don't know of any Sony that will do that.

westcott
03-19-2007, 04:58 AM

CNET is about as hit and miss as Sony. I would delete that bookmark to CNET.

Worf101
03-21-2007, 04:03 AM
CNET is about as hit and miss as Sony. I would delete that bookmark to CNET.
But I have to agree CNET's reviewers can be "less than stellar" at times. I've read their reviews on products that I own or have installed and I somtimes wonder if we're talking about the same product. They can be spotty.

Da Worfster

PeruvianSkies
03-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Quality? Musicality? Power? Good sound? The list goes on....

Functionality, user-friendliness, life expectancy, options, ......and on and on.....

pixelthis
04-10-2007, 01:34 AM
I am not sure why, but a lot of manufacturers tend to accell at some things and seem to care less about other products in their offerings. Sony can make a great TV when they want to and did for many years while the R&D put ito DVD players and receivers seems to be less of a priority. I really struggled when it came time to buy a Megachanger. Only a handful of companies even offer them and I did buy a Sony, with much consternation that it would not hold up. I have had it over a year and it is doing well so far and it has great features but to really take advantage of the great features, you need an additonal battery back up system because all of your settings and data entry for CD titles and such, hit lists, etc. will be lost if the power is lost. Now for $5 more, they could have had provided non volatile memory. They also still insist on proprietary practices. So, they only read CD data from Sony released titles unless you burn your own with the CD text on it. You can daisy chain multiple megachangers but only via analog. It has digital capability but only in stand alone mode. I could go on but you get the picture. If they put as much effort into all their products as they do in some of their TVs, I would have not problem recommending their receivers. And stop all this proprietary non sense SONY. It is killing your business, slowly but surely.

The reason you only get cd text on sony discs is that sony has the liscense on it, and charge so much to use it that other labels wont use it at all.
AND lets not forget the whole anticopy software fiasco, where some sony discs, when played on your computer put viruses in your root directory, a lot of people lost a lot of data from this.
Sony makes great tv's, and great CD drives, a lot of megabuck players use sony cd drives.
But their receivers are at best, mediocre.
If you want to buy an item, but it from someone thats good at making THAT item, thats the advantage of separates.
WOULD you buy speakers from a company that makes laminate flooring? There are so many companies that do the receiver thing well,
why buy one from a company that has never really mastered it?
OH, and I have a sony 300 disc, use it for storage of my CDS , and you usually have a week before you lose the memory, if your powers off for a week you have bigger problems

Luvin Da Blues
04-10-2007, 04:44 AM
ROFLMAO...

"WOULD you buy speakers from a company that makes laminate flooring" ....makes for some interesting cabinets:cornut:

r.j.sanc26
04-10-2007, 06:49 PM
For what it's worth my old STR-835 is still kicking along and sounds as good (and as bad) as ever.

I was, in my youth a Sony fan until time and research and my own ears opened my eyes to a world beyond the 'big names". I think Sony, like many of their competitors have hits and misses in just about every line they offer. Back in 2004 I got a great deal on a new DA3000?, after I got it set-up and went to fire it up....bam right into protect mode, returned it got a replacement and wouldn't you know it right into protect mode as well....needless to say that was the last Sony audio component I've purchased, well not counting my PS3!

pixelthis
04-12-2007, 12:59 AM
ROFLMAO...

"WOULD you buy speakers from a company that makes laminate flooring" ....makes for some interesting cabinets:cornut:
You sound like an old hi-fi dog like myself, so yoou have probably seen some speakers that look like they were made from such flooring,
(and a lot of them were sonys):cornut:

AmpItUP
04-22-2007, 10:54 PM
I have a Sony as well. It works and is reliable, but sometimes I find something lacking and I just can't figure it out. So, I bought a Pioneer, and I'm enjoying it.

hydroman
04-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Yeah but... my Denon AVR235 crapped out after only three years. Boo.

Almost all are made in China now (even H/K) - does a company's past quality reputation mean much anymore knowing this?

I am on my third H/K reciever (yeah Scott is good to deal with - but do i really want to be on a first name basis with cutomer relations?) and the latest one has a front panel won't stay up by itself. Sure scotch tape will fix it - but i am quite jaded at this point.

So I ask, "Who does make a good A/V reciever now?"

likeitloud
04-23-2007, 07:51 PM
The Sony AVR's I've heard always sounded kind of flat to me, like it was putting out
alot of effort, not smooth, and seemed under powered; However, if your looking for
a very good CD player/Recorder, the Sony RCD-W50C has served me well for 4 years
of daily use. Every year I say it has to go, I shop around, and unless it's over $500,
nothing sounds as good, One thing about sony, they have a dedicated upgrade/refurb
shop for all there stuff, run by sony techs. My player is going for cleaning/lens alignment
very soon. I know of no other company that has this tech support.

Layla
11-19-2008, 10:40 AM

DO NOT BUY ANY PRODUCT FROM SONY. GO ONLINE AND SEE THE PROBLEMS THEY ARE HAVING WITH THE TV'S. THEY HAVE DISCONTINUED MAKING THESE TV'S BECAUSE THEY ARE BREAKING DOWN WITHIN MONTHS, NOT LETTING YOU KNOW THAT THERE'S RECALL ON YOUR TV. PLEASE GO ONLINE BEFORE YOU BUY A SONY. I HAVE HAD MINE FOR 3 YRS., AND IT HAS BEEN SERVICE 7 TIMES AND I'M WAITING AGAIN TO HAVE IT SERVICED. ACTURALLY I'M GOING TO SUE THEM BECAUSE THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS. THEY WANT THE CONSUMER TO BUY ANOTHER TV AT A DISCOUNT RATE. BUT WHO CARES IF WE ALREADY SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS. DON'T DO IT PLEASE.........

Rich-n-Texas
11-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Geez you're a loudmouth.

blackraven
11-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Pix, your right about sony copyright protection on CD's. I tried to copy a CD (not realizing it had copyright protection) using Nero software and it froze my sony cd burner on my computer to the point it would not work and had to be replaced and I also had to do a system restore.

And 2 nights ago I tried to copy a Sony CD and my CDROM was not recognized by my computer and I had to do a system restore.

Rich-n-Texas
11-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Interesting to see some of the names of the old and no longer active members of this site from a year & 1/2 ago.

Not for nothing blackraven but it's my guess that a troll ressurected this one.

bfalls
11-20-2008, 10:06 AM
"Pix, your right about sony copyright protection on CD's. I tried to copy a CD (not realizing it had copyright protection) using Nero software and it froze my sony cd burner on my computer to the point it would not work and had to be replaced and I also had to do a system restore.

And 2 nights ago I tried to copy a Sony CD and my CDROM was not recognized by my computer and I had to do a system restore."

BlackRaven

Sony rarely puts copy-protection on music CDs. There's no market for it. The rootkit everyone likes to replate to Sony, was actually put out there by BMG, but Sony got associated with it when they bought a large interest in the company.

I was never a fan of Sony receivers. They were at least 5th or 6th on my list of mid-fi receivers. Last Christmas I was able to purchase a new STR-DA5300ES (flagship) receiver for less that half price. The first unit I received had a SW bug. Sony offered either a replacement or to have it upgraded at your local Sony repair location. I opted for the replacement.

I have no problems with this receiver at all. It has 6 HDMI 1.3 inputs, plenty of power and once you got past the SW bug it was very easy to operate. I have both Denon and Yamaha AVRs. I feel the Sony works/sounds just as good.

No complaints.