Maxell or TDK? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Maxell or TDK?

keithant
03-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Which blank cassette tape does everyone think is best Maxell XLII-S or TDK SA-X?

royphil345
03-06-2007, 07:06 PM
I always thought the Maxells sounded better when they were new. Most of my cassettes that have survived the years are TDK though. Don't know if they've changed the quality of either one lately... for better or for worse...

They're both quality tapes. Hard to go wrong.

I was just messing with my cassete deck, comparing cassette recordings to digital ones from vinyl. Neither one sounds exactly like the source. Digital is definitely quieter and does better at the frequency extremes. The cassette recordings sounded very smooth and pleasant though. Not really an option for me... no cassette player in the car anymore. Was just curious how the old cassette deck would stack up. Finally got a decent one right before I stopped needing it.

markw
03-06-2007, 07:09 PM
That's what I used to use when I made cassettes regularly. I had my decks adjusted to that tape and all was well.

You do know that how well certain tapes perform in a particular deck is dependant on how it's bias and eq have been adjusted, don't ya? If that's done correectly, virtually any tape can sound great in virtually any deck.

But I always liked TDK SA myself. The "X" came later and was just a tad hotter in he highs.

royphil345
03-06-2007, 07:23 PM
You do know that how well certain tapes perform in a particular deck is dependant on how it's bias and eq have been adjusted, don't ya? If that's done correectly, virtually any tape can sound great in virtually any deck.

That's a good point. Forgot how things were... I got used to auto-calibration. If you don't have that, the choice might be made obvious by which tape makes the better sounding recordings to your ear in your deck. I think most decks were calibrated to be used with TDK tapes back in the dark ages.

If you have auto-calibration, or can handle the sound of the standard chrome cassettes, the S and X series tapes are really overkill and pricey. You'll get a little more energy at the frequency extremes on a deck with a fixed EQ, which you may find pleasing or not... The standard SA and XLII tapes are of very high quality.

markw
03-06-2007, 07:44 PM
That's a good point. Forgot how things were... I got used to auto-calibration. If you don't have that, the choice might be made obvious by which tape makes the better sounding recordings to your ear in your deck. I think most decks were calibrated to be used with TDK tapes back in the dark ages.

If you have auto-calibration, or can handle the sound of the standard chrome cassettes, the S and X series tapes are really overkill and pricey. You'll get a little more energy at the frequency extremes on a deck with a fixed EQ, which you may find pleasing or not... The standard SA and XLII tapes are of very high quality.I did most of my recording on a trusty old Teac 360S that I had looked at regularly. It was an old top-loader but it was decent enough so that functionally I never really wanted for much more and I was too dang cheap to buy a NAK. Plus, most of my listening to these tapes was in the car.

Later, I did pick up a deck with DBX. Now, THAT was a great NR system once it was set up properly. Unfortunately, it's timing was bad since by the time it hit, Dolby was firmly ensconced as the de facto standard and, even though it was technically superior, Cd's were just about to render tapes moot. ...such is life...

Dusty Chalk
03-06-2007, 08:36 PM
They're about the same. I've used both, and I lean a little bit towards the Maxell, for no other reason than I am a Maxell fanboy.

But where on earth are you going to get blank cassette tapes?

GMichael
03-07-2007, 09:09 AM
I agree with Roy,

The Maxells seemed to have a little more high end than the TDK's when new. But as time went on, the Maxells died while the TDK's lived on.