Definitive StudioMonitor 450 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Definitive StudioMonitor 450

abulgan
03-06-2007, 01:07 PM
anyone tried these?a friend of mine looking for bookshelf with really good bass with built-in Sub Woofer

this one has Pressure Drivem Sub so , Power Monitor has Amp driven Sub
little bit confused:confused5:

topspeed
03-06-2007, 05:55 PM
"Pressure Driven" = passive radiator in my book. The PowerMonitor series has a powered sub, so that would seem to be the difference between the two. Make sure your friend likes the sound of the DefTechs. I have a DT sub, but the voicing on their speakers isn't my cup o' tea.

At all.

Just sayin' make sure he buys off the sound, not the stats.

abulgan
03-07-2007, 10:55 AM
what do u mean by that?cup of tea?

anyone listened or used PM500 or 700,cause i could not find any other speaker with built-in sw

topspeed
03-07-2007, 04:11 PM
"Cup o' Tea" simply means I personally don't care for the way DefTech speakers present music. I've listened to the BP series many times and auditioned the PowerMonitors a while back when I was looking for speakers for my bedroom. It didn't take long to determine that their sound wasn't for me. It was far too aggressive and sibilant, plus I found the bass to be boomy with a lot of overhang. It was fatigue waiting to happen. I like really fast speakers that exhibit control and transient fidelity. That was not my impression of the DT's, PowerMonitors or otherwise. There are a lot of people that like DT's, the BP's in particular. I'm just not one of them and considering the similarity of our rigs, I'd be surprised if you did as well.

superdougiefreshness
03-07-2007, 10:20 PM
"Cup o' Tea" simply means I personally don't care for the way DefTech speakers present music. I've listened to the BP series many times and auditioned the PowerMonitors a while back when I was looking for speakers for my bedroom. It didn't take long to determine that their sound wasn't for me. It was far too aggressive and sibilant, plus I found the bass to be boomy with a lot of overhang. It was fatigue waiting to happen. I like really fast speakers that exhibit control and transient fidelity. That was not my impression of the DT's, PowerMonitors or otherwise. There are a lot of people that like DT's, the BP's in particular. I'm just not one of them and considering the similarity of our rigs, I'd be surprised if you did as well.
Great thread, How will I know If I like fast speaker's ? Does that mean if I am dating a fast ..........LOL.
Anyway I like British speakers, are they fast ? This is a great topic to ponder. Thanks:ciappa:

abulgan
03-08-2007, 12:37 PM
i will also try Klipsch RB-81,heard that it 's a great musical speaker and read reviews...so any thoughts and experiences would be helpfull

N. Abstentia
03-08-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm also not a DefTech fan...but even worse is speakers with built in subwoofers. What a placement nightmare! They would never sound right.