nothin' like a new stack of vinyl... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : nothin' like a new stack of vinyl...

nobody
03-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Stopped by the local record show they hold every other month this morning and grabbed a big stack of stuff, mostly jazz and reggae with a few things tossed in there. Just got back and playing some records. For under 50 bucks, got all this on vinyl...

Prince Jazzbo - Ital Corner
The Best of Isreal Vibration
Lord Sassofrost - The Horse Man Connection
The Mighty Diamonds - Never Get Weary
Ethiopian & Gladiators - Dread Prophecy
Alpha Blondy - Cocody Rock!
Pablo Moses - A Song
Meditations - Greatest Hits
Bunny Wailer - Liberation
Bunny Wailer - Marketplace
Sly & Robbie - The Summit
Brian Eno - Before And After Science
The Golden Hits Of The Everly Brothers
Erroll Gardner (self-titled)
Jimmy Smith - Midnight Special
The Coasters - The Early Years
Oscar Peterson - Something Warm
Frank Sinatra - Come Fly With Me
Dexter Gordon - The Bethlehem Years
Eddie Lockjaw Davis Quartet - Swingin' Til The Girls Come Home
Dizzie Gillespie/Charlie Parker - Groovin' High
The Stylistics - Once Upon A Jukebox
Lyle Lovett - Pontiac
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - You're Gonna Get It
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (self-titled)
Thelonious Monk (self-titled)
Thelonious Monk with Sonny Rollins and Frank Foster
The Unique Thelonious Monk
The Polics - Regetta De Blanc
Al Green - Let's Stay Together
Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Duke Ellington Songbook
Lester Young - Pres Is Blue
Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe

Playing Dread Prophecy right now..I'm always a sucker for pretty much anything produced by Lee Perry...love that echo chamber sound.

Days like this make it hard to get a chance to listen to much new music when I gotta get through all this first. Anybody else pick up anything fun this weekend?

Ex Lion Tamer
03-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Another nice haul. The Lyle Lovett and Eno albums jumped out at me as great ones.

Do you have a VPI or Nitty Gritty record cleaner? I couldn't imagine cleaning all those records you bring back from these shows manually...(though I do use the Record Doctor system, but can only do 5 or 6 in a sitting before my head explodes).

nobody
03-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Nope, no cleaning machine. I use the Disc Doctor stuff by hand (although this batch will likely use up that last of what I got, so gotta decide if I want to try somethign new or not). Works great as long as you rinse them a couple times. If not, they come out a bit noisy. It is a lot of work though. I usually do 'em in groups of about 10. I'd consider getting a cleaning machine one of these days, but those prices just blow me away. And, the less expensive ones still seem fairly labor intensive. I can't see myself going for one until I could afford one with some automation.

I've had both the Eno and Lovett on CD for years, but for 2 bucks each I couldn't resist grabbing vinyl copies. They are both excellent albums.

Oh...and I got that Melodians playing right now. They're one of those great roots reggae harmony groups along the lines of the Mighty Diamonds. Great stuff and this one was looking clean as can be...just ran a quick brush over it for now.

hifitommy
03-04-2007, 01:28 PM
is that both volumes? if so, great find.

nobody
03-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Yup...and all for 2 bucks. The covers are all split at the top, but the records look pretty close to mint. Vocal jazz don't get much better than these records.

jrhymeammo
03-04-2007, 02:27 PM
You deserve the covenant:

"Best Hauler of the Month"

Award.

Nice work,

JRA

bobsticks
03-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Hella nice haul, and a great cross-section of styles to boot. That Oscar Peterson should be topnotch...actually, browsing through the titles, most of it should be topnotch. Nice work, you're the ultimate record ferret. Enjoy the new acquisitions.

As we speak Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley is spinning...and album I believe you rec'ed a few months ago. Thanks again.

Cheers

Dusty Chalk
03-04-2007, 10:10 PM
:drool: