Mono or Stereo EQ??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mono or Stereo EQ???

only126db
03-03-2007, 09:03 AM
I am looking at adding an EQ to my receiver and was wondering if I need to use a stereo eq or can I use a mono eq? Money is very limited and I saw an NADY GEQ 131 mono eq (31 band) for $75 shipped. Not sure when they say mono are they talking about the actual output or just that they have one set of 31 band adjustments. I am using an Onkyo TX-8211 Receiver with some large vintage speakers (Utah woofers and tweets in Karlson Boxes).

markw
03-03-2007, 10:01 AM
But, most people equalize both channels of a stereo. You may want to also, and for that you would need two of these..

recoveryone
03-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Odd to hear of a mono EQ for Home use, and the price is a bit high IMO. Check more online sources or even ebay and I'm sure you can find a stereo EQ for a home system. Mono EQ's are normally used in PA/concert/studio setups

Dusty Chalk
03-03-2007, 03:18 PM
You need one for each channel. So stereo. It probably really is mono -- one input, one output.

only126db
03-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Yes I want both channels equalized, just wasn't sure if mono means mono ins and outs or just one set(31) of sliders in total.

$75 shipped is a high price for a 31 band eq....???? Whats a good eq for under $150 thats dual 31 band, and yes I believe the NADY is primarily a PA eq but with what I've got as of now I dont need audiophile quality equipment, money is very tight. I shouldn't spend any but I'm addicted!!! My last entertainment system cost me over $6000.00 and worth it (in my truck) but its gone and ...well you guys dont wanna hear me cry over spilt milk. Thanks and can anyone point me in the direction I might wanna head for an eq?

recoveryone
03-03-2007, 11:48 PM
I just did a quick search on ebay and found these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/TEAC-EQA-220-10-BAND-GRAPHIC-EQUALIZER-STEREO-SYSTEM-EQ_W0QQitemZ280089387969QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3271QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gemini-Graphic-Equalizer-EQX-30-NIB_W0QQitemZ280089710311QQihZ018QQcategoryZ101980 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Source-EQ-100-Stereo-Graphic-Equalizer_W0QQitemZ150097775904QQihZ005QQcategoryZ 3271QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I saw a couple of SAE ones if you really need 20 sliders+ per channels, but the cost goes up with more sliders. But for home use you can get by with 7-10 easy

Brainstorm
03-04-2007, 03:58 AM
You’ll going to need to EQ left center right surrounds and sub bass.

Also if money is tight at the present moment hold on delay and save upa little bit more until you have the exact budget to buy all EQ that is needed to address the necessary problems. Stereo EQ yes one for left and right one for centre and sub bass one for surrounds and so on.

Behringer FBQ3102
31-Band Stereo Graphic Equalizer with FBQ Feedback Detection System

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/productimages/BEHR-FBQ3102_L.jpg

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/web/productAction.do?dispatch=showProduct&SKU=BEHR-FBQ3102&context=WEB

Dusty Chalk
03-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Behringer is the popular choice, but it's their US$250 DEQ2496 that's in the homes of most audiophiles. I have little to no knowledge of their cheaper models.

And yeah, if you're doing a multichannel setup, then you need a multichannel EQ like the Alesis DEQ830 (http://www.alesis.com/products/deq830/).

recoveryone
03-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Very nice Dusty, I known them for their studio EQ's but not a HT one.

Dusty Chalk
03-04-2007, 10:38 PM
It's a studio EQ, so you'll need adapters, but it seemed to be the most reasonable choice even after the cost and hassle of adapting.

Resident Loser
03-05-2007, 05:12 AM
I am looking at adding an EQ to my receiver and was wondering if I need to use a stereo eq or can I use a mono eq? Money is very limited and I saw an NADY GEQ 131 mono eq (31 band) for $75 shipped. Not sure when they say mono are they talking about the actual output or just that they have one set of 31 band adjustments. I am using an Onkyo TX-8211 Receiver with some large vintage speakers (Utah woofers and tweets in Karlson Boxes).

...Mono usually means mono...the term you are thinking of would be "ganged" Much pro/semi-pro stuff is mono, usually due to the fact they are equalizing one signal into a recording or amplification device...Most "ganged" stereo EQs are cheap-ish units, usually limited to five or six bands and are really more like glorified tone controls...

jimHJJ(...FWIW...)

recoveryone
03-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Hey Dusty, from the spec's if you ran optical their is no need to use the adapter, but it has peak my interest in EQ's again. My old one is setting up on a shelf getting dusty no pun intended Dusty...lol. I never even thought of looking for an EQ for surround setup since most infor you read only talks about DD/DTS/DPL.....etc and how this is what the sound engineers wanted us to hear and with the LEF channel handling the sub bass, I never thought for a need for a EQ to enhance it.

Now in a concert/church/theater setup I can see it due that many are still working in a 2 channel format (some theaters still faking it). I went to the theater this weekend and I'm not sure who or what they are trying to prove. Maybe I'm just spoiled with the balance sound of my own system, but I feel like I'm getting bombaried in there. The sound is way to loud. Let me stop before I go off on a rant. Once again Dusty thanks for that info.

StevenSurprenant
03-09-2007, 05:25 AM
This is what I'm using because...There doesn't seen to be any signal degradation as I've experianced in every analog EQ I've used and that is the most important thing to me.

Also, (copied from site)

There are 4 concurrently selectable EQ modules (31-band graphic EQ, 10-band parametric EQ, Feedback Destroyer and three dynamic EQs per channel).

Another highlight is the additional 61-band RTA that can run simultaneously with the EQ section. The DEQ2496 features high-quality AKM® 24-bit/96 kHz A/D and D/A converters and two high-performance 32/40-bit floating-point SHARC® digital signal processors for ultimate sonic resolution and 113 dB dynamic range. There are also multi-functional level meters (peak/RMS, VU and SPL meter with dBA/dBC weighting via RTA mic input) plus 64 user memories for complete setups and/or individual module configurations.

In addition it will auto tune your room and more...

Check it out before you decide what to do...

Dusty Chalk
03-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Hey Dusty, from the spec's if you ran optical their is no need to use the adapter...I don't think that will work. The Alesis uses their ADAT protocol for multichannel digital, not Dolby or DTS. So unless your source or whatever uses ADAT for multichannel optical digital, you'll have to use the analog connectors.

superdougiefreshness
03-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Yes I want both channels equalized, just wasn't sure if mono means mono ins and outs or just one set(31) of sliders in total.

$75 shipped is a high price for a 31 band eq....???? Whats a good eq for under $150 thats dual 31 band, and yes I believe the NADY is primarily a PA eq but with what I've got as of now I dont need audiophile quality equipment, money is very tight. I shouldn't spend any but I'm addicted!!! My last entertainment system cost me over $6000.00 and worth it (in my truck) but its gone and ...well you guys dont wanna hear me cry over spilt milk. Thanks and can anyone point me in the direction I might wanna head for an eq?

I believe you should try the consignment stores or the local highend private retailers and manufacturer's in you area. I mention this because I purchased a BSR used EQ that had many features and I only paid $35 dollars at a thrift store in San Diego, that baby was sweet. I gave it away a few months ago and I can't remember the model #. I decided I did not won't the signal to alter my vintage speakers and blow a tweeter or mess with the signal FQ response in anyway.

You will find that any good sterio repair shops in your area will know of all the local guys that can sell you really good/used sterio equipment. That way you will be far better within you budget and the equipment will be much better as well. Check Craig's List for your city online.

And most of all remember this hobby of ours totally rocks dude.....so have all the fun you can with your hunt......that's half the fun anyway.
Later
Doug

:cornut:
I hope this will help you