Powered towers hook-up [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Powered towers hook-up

victord
11-19-2003, 11:51 AM
Hello, all stereophiles.

I'm looking for the best way to hook up my L/R tower speakers which also have a built-in 18-inch powered-sub each. I was thinking whether to send the "full" signal and use the built-in subs; or by setting them as "large" but use a low cut-off to send the low frequency to a separate sub.

I'm looking for the best compromise between HT and stereo listening.

Any comments is appreciated???

JSE
11-19-2003, 01:55 PM
I have tried both on my Boston VR965. I ended using a y-splitter out of the sub output on the receiver and running each line directly to the built in subs in each speaker. This allows me to control the sub output independently from the mids and tweeters. I found this to sound much better for both music and HT. One note, I am currently using an older Pro-Logic receiver which really has no sub control built into the receiver. A digital receiver may change my opinion in the future.

JSE

victord
11-19-2003, 03:40 PM
I'm not familiar w/ your speakers (VR965). According to your reply, I'm guessing that each of your speakers has a separate RCA LFE and/or sub input and speaker inputs for all drivers (sub, mid, high).

Mine have the same configuration. There is also a sub level adjustment dial on each speaker. I used to do the same as you had suggested, but I detected no difference in bass level gain than from just using a single speaker wire to drive all drivers.

My receiver is old and pretty low-budget type. It doesn't allow manual setting for low-level cut-off. I'm still waiting for a chance to jump onto a separate setup.