25 years old Thorens 145 or 2 years old Project 1.2 ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 25 years old Thorens 145 or 2 years old Project 1.2 ?

vaitus
02-15-2004, 10:04 AM
Hi everybody,

while looking for a cartridge for the 2 years old Pro-ject turntable I just bought I come across a first generation Thorens td 145 with Stanton eee681 cartridge at an interesting price. Here's my dilemma:

should I buy the Thorens and resell the pro-ject?

The Thorens looks very good and I know it's very highly rated, but after 25 years would it still be better than the project, which is in very good condition? I'm not the tweaker type as I prefer listening ....lazy! :o

In case I keep the pro-ject what cartridge other than the grado red would be better for my collection of used and very used records? Would a sumiko blue point be too much for this?

Thanks y'll :D

DMK
02-15-2004, 05:12 PM
Hi everybody,

while looking for a cartridge for the 2 years old Pro-ject turntable I just bought I come across a first generation Thorens td 145 with Stanton eee681 cartridge at an interesting price. Here's my dilemma:

The Thorens looks very good and I know it's very highly rated, but after 25 years would it still be better than the project, which is in very good condition? I'm not the tweaker type as I prefer listening ....lazy! :o

In case I keep the pro-ject what cartridge other than the grado red would be better for my collection of used and very used records? Would a sumiko blue point be too much for this?

I'd go with the Thorens IF AND ONLY IF I could get up close and personal with it first. Lots of old Thorens' are still up and running and making great music. Lots of them are scrap heap material. If you're buying off Ebay or Audiogon, check the feedback! Ask questions - is the table operational? Any problems not noted on the ad? What's the arm? does the seller guarantee it's not DOA? That sort of thing.

I once bought a 1970's era Kenwood integrated amp off Ebay(back from the day kenwood made good stuff) only to discover once it arrived that one of the phono inputs wasn't operational, the subsonic filter didn't work, one tape loop was out of commission and the speaker terminals were fidgety and barely worked.

If the Thorens is in great shape, that's your new baby! If not, the Pro-Ject will perform nicely. A Sumiko BPS will outperform the Grado and be a nice match. And if you're a non-tweaker, it might be preferable.

hifitommy
02-15-2004, 05:30 PM
Hi everybody,

i might try posting at audioasylum.com in the vinyl asylum. lots of thorens addicts there. dmks advice is good as is but more opinions may be helpful.

E-Stat
02-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Thorens tables are very nice indeed. Ditch the Stanton. Your Grado is much more desirable.

rw

vaitus
02-16-2004, 03:44 AM
Thanks everybody.