Phillip Noyce [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Phillip Noyce

Gerald Cooperberg
02-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Sat down and rewatched the 2002 movie version of The Quiet American starring Michael Caine tonight. Lots to like about this one, from a compelling lead performance from Caine to a note-perfect supporting turn from Brendan Fraser to some stunning cinematography by frequent Wong Kar-Wai collaborator Christopher Doyle. I looked up the director, Phillip Noyce, afterwards, and was surprised to find that his filmography is scattered with Hollywood action thrillers that I've seen and only somewhat remember, from Patriot Games to The Saint to The Bone Collector and the recent Catch a Fire (which I didn't catch, no pun intended). Another one caught my eye that I remembered hearing something about, Rabbit-Proof Fence. I might have to track that one down... anyone seen it? How about any of his 1970s Australian work like Newsfront, Backroads, or Heatwave? Are these worth seeking out? Any opinions are welcome.

-Coop

PeruvianSkies
02-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Philip Noyce is one of the more competant directors around, especially when it comes to action thrillers. I was not a huge fan of THE QUIET AMERICAN, although I am familiar with the original 1958 film. I thought it was so-so. I enjoyed THE BONE COLLECTOR, PATRIOT GAMES, and even RABIT PROOF FENCE. I also thought that THE SAINT was slightly better than most thought of the film, and I am even a big fan of that series.

His older films (Austrailian films) are similar in some ways to the films of another Austrailian filmmaker who also has become more famous in American ...Peter Weir. I think you'll probably enjoy his earlier films if you have the means to get ahold of them, maybe Netflix. BACKROADS is probably the highlight out of those.

Gerald Cooperberg
03-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks, PS. No Netflix for me here, and a visit to my usually-reliable neighborhood video store yielded no hits on his 70s stuff, so I'll just have to hope they pop up at some point in the future. I tried a foray into Peter Weir's work some time ago and didn't really get hooked... I think the one that I rented was Picnic at Hanging Rock, which seems well-regarded but didn't really hit me off. Any other suggestions?

-Coop

PeruvianSkies
03-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks, PS. No Netflix for me here, and a visit to my usually-reliable neighborhood video store yielded no hits on his 70s stuff, so I'll just have to catch them if they pop up at some point in the future. I tried a foray into Peter Weir's work some time ago and didn't really get hooked... I think the one that I rented was Picnic at Hanging Rock, which seems well-regarded but didn't really hit me off. Any other suggestions?

-Coop

Maybe check out THE LAST WAVE or GALLIPOLI (with Mel Gibson). PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK is a film that requires patience. I also enjoyed another of his 80's films THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY and THE CARS THAT ATE PARIS.

Happy hunting.

Gerald Cooperberg
03-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the recs. I'll let you know if I find any of them.

-Coop