New release linky [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New release linky

Slosh
02-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Wow, 2007 has started out pretty nicely and looks to be one of the best years in recent memory for my kinda music. There are at least two dozen albums I'm eyeing up.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/upcomingreleases.shtml

NP:

Dusty Chalk
02-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Yup, quite a few. Thanks for the link.

Mr MidFi
03-01-2007, 11:16 AM
A big thanks to you, once again, for the two links you recently provided, Slosh.

After two listens, I have to say the new Arcade Fire may be even better than Funeral. Bloody brilliant.

I'm saving the new Andrew Bird for the ride home tonight.

Shaping up to be a very good year, indeed!

SlumpBuster
03-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Very nice link.

I had to smirk when I saw two albums listed way down on the anticipated releases:

GnR -Chinese Democracy - 2007

Britney Spears - TBD -2007

Slosh
03-01-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm saving the new Andrew Bird for the ride home tonight.
You're in for a treat. My local indie rec store said I can have my CD on Monday (March 19th). Yay, one day early :rolleyes:

Now if only that loopy Canadian grrl would d/l the stuff she asked for . . .

NP:

Jim Clark
03-01-2007, 04:01 PM
Wow.

May 22.

The National.

Wheat.

Voxtrot.

Wow.

No Moonbabies?

Sucks.

Postal Service 2007.

Cool.

Thanks.

jc.

Slosh
03-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Not that anyone really cares but here's my 2007 agenda.

Shins - Wincing The Night Away (already own)
Rob Crow - Living Well (already own)
Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha (advance)
Bloc Party - A Weekend In The City (was given a burned copy but don't like it very much)
Gruff Rhys - Candylion (advance)
Ted Leo/Pharmacists - Living With The Living (advance)
Lucinda Williams - West (advance - meh)
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible (advance - probably will hold out for the double 180 gram LP although I don't think the sonics will be much better than CD judging from the mp3)

Idlewild - Make Another World (I'll need to preview this one before deciding)
Son Volt - The Search (not an automatic buy but I have heard good things about it)
Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank (leaked weeks ago but I haven't been able to find anything better than 128 kb/s-sourced so am not gonna bother. . .pretty much an automatic purchase for me anyway)
Blonde Redhead - 23 (maybe)
Bright Eyes - Cassadaga (maybe)
Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare (maybe - no doubt it'll be easy to 'preview')
Wilco - Sky Blue Sky (automatic)
Babyshambles (hope it's on par with The Blinding EP)
Built To Spill (I have a difficult time believing they'll release an album two years in a row)
Cursive (maybe)
Britt Daniel (likely)
Doves (maybe)
Earlimart (automatic)
Elbow (likely)
Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog (likely)
Islands (likely)
Les Savy Fav (automatic)
Mercury Rev (maybe)
Travis Morrison - All Y'All (not unless I can preview it first)
Pinback - Autumn Of The Seraphs (automatic)
Radiohead (automatic)
R.E.M. (I'll let one of my friends buy a new album for a change :) )
Shellac - Excellent Italian Greyhound (I'm sure my brother will have this before I do)
Spoon - Stroke Their Brains (automatic)
Super Furry Animals (automatic)
Tortoise (one of my friends will definitely have this - musicians are so predictable sometimes :p )
Chris Walla - It's Unsustainable (I don't know if I actually want this but am curious at least)
The White Stripes - Icky Thump (if not me someone I know will buy it)
The Wrens (automatic)

That should keep me busy for a while!

Slosh
03-02-2007, 05:24 AM
Okay, so one of my friends managed to get hold of the actual, legit Neon Bible CD and I'm happy to report it sounds much better than the leaked versions would imply (keeping in mind this is no audiophile recording to begin with). There is some vocal sibilance so going for the 180 gram vinyl might not make much difference.

NP: this, of course :)

ForeverAutumn
03-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Dexy's Midnight Runners? Seriously?

And Crowded House? Must be another "best of" collection. Although, if they've regrouped for a new CD that would be very, very cool.

May 1 has been duly noted in my calendar for the new Rush disk. And I'm very curious to see whether The Kaiser Chiefs and Maximo Park can keep up the good work.

Slosh...was I supposed to download something that I missed or were you referring to that other loopy Canadian girl?

bobsticks
03-02-2007, 07:55 PM
God bless loopy Canadian girls.

Slosh
03-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Slosh...was I supposed to download something that I missed or were you referring to that other loopy Canadian girl?Dunno. Mongo only pawn in game of life. Is the name of your town literally loopy? ;)

NP:

tentoze
03-03-2007, 03:03 AM
Off the indie-hipster radar, but here's what March has for me:

Out now- a twofer of Red Steagall albums on 1 cd- I was spinning the vinyl of Lonestar Beer & Bob Wills Music just this wk-end- excellent Western Swing

3/6- New Ry Cooder and Son Volt (I have a pre-release of the Son Volt and me likey).

3/13- New Elliot Murphy, Jorma Kaukonen, and Graham Parker!

3/27- Expanded Zevon issues of Excitable Boy, and FINALLY, the Envoy and Stand In The Fire make their way!

jrhymeammo
03-03-2007, 04:28 AM
Thanks for the great link.

2007 looks pretty good.

Roxy Music with one and only Brian ENO!!!
Now, we just gotta battle with A&Rs and release dates

-Jurah
:14:

3-LockBox
03-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Not that anyone really cares but here's my 2007 agenda

I'll just wait for the comp....I had an idea to load a bunch of gratis comps I have laying around onto my MP3 player, when I realized that more than half of them are from you (slosh). I actually look forward to a few of the artists in your list, except for the White Stripes. I have the last three of their CDs and I think the song writing quality is taking a nose dive. I may have to skip this one.

bobsticks
03-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Looks like a good year to be sure but I'm still buying stuff from the last year, and the year before...and the 1950s and the 1700s. Seriously, I'm all about hearing the Andrew Bird at full tilt, and BTS, and the Iron Wine. Gotta side with 3-LB on the White Stripes though...not my cuppa tea.

Kinda curious to hear what Delores O'Riordan will come up with as well.

Cheers

Slosh
03-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I'm not a real big 'Stripes fan either, other than White Blood Cells, but they have become quite popular so I'm sure some of my friends will pick it up and I'll hear it whether I want to or not. Who knows, it could be good, but I'll let someone else be the guinea pig (no ethnic slur intended).

NP:

Mr MidFi
03-05-2007, 07:58 AM
R.E.M. (I'll let one of my friends buy a new album for a change )

I think I owe you more than that, but I'll be happy to do so. They have Permanent Lifetime Auto-Buy status with me.

And yes, the Andrew Bird is brilliant as well.

Dusty Chalk
03-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Stupid question: when did they stop being a "link" and start being a "linky"?

About the same time models stopped being just models and started being supermodels?

Slosh
03-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Stupid question: when did they stop being a "link" and start being a "linky"?
You're right, that is a stupid question. :p
Linky is just more fun.

NP:

Ex Lion Tamer
03-05-2007, 04:17 PM
You're right - '07 looks to be a bumper crop.

A HUUUUGE thanks for those two recent postings, preliminary listens indicate that they're GRRRREEEAAAAT.

Mr MidFi
03-06-2007, 08:20 AM
After two complete listens to the as-of-yet-unreleased Wilco album, Sky Blue Sky, I can confidently state my opinion as... meh. There are some interesting moments, but they are few and far between. Overall, it's a bit of a snooze.

I followed up with a listen of their Summerteeth disc, to see if it was just me being in a non-Wilco-ish mood. Nope. I think there are more good musical ideas in just one song (like "Shot in the Arm" or "She's a Jar") from that album than in the entire new one. But hey, maybe my opinion will evolve over time.

Once again, I do appreciate the opportunity to find out for myself. Even if I am a bit disappointed.

Slosh
03-06-2007, 01:31 PM
After two complete listens to the as-of-yet-unreleased Wilco album, Sky Blue Sky, I can confidently state my opinion as... meh. There are some interesting moments, but they are few and far between. Overall, it's a bit of a snooze.
Yeah, me too. Not that it's bad, but you're right, it's bland (as is the new Lucinda). And to think, going in I considered this an automatic purchase. The internet saved me some money for a change.

NP:

Troy
03-06-2007, 03:21 PM
On April 24th Yoko Ono is going to Open Your Box. Can't wait for that.

Lotsa other stuff on that list I look forward to hearing tho. Too much indie-bias at that site for my taste, though it's really great for movies.

Mike
03-07-2007, 02:38 AM
Not that anyone really cares but here's my 2007 agenda.

Shins - Wincing The Night Away (already own)
Rob Crow - Living Well (already own)
Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha (advance)
Bloc Party - A Weekend In The City (was given a burned copy but don't like it very much)
Gruff Rhys - Candylion (advance)
Ted Leo/Pharmacists - Living With The Living (advance)
Lucinda Williams - West (advance - meh)
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible (advance - probably will hold out for the double 180 gram LP although I don't think the sonics will be much better than CD judging from the mp3)

Idlewild - Make Another World (I'll need to preview this one before deciding)
Son Volt - The Search (not an automatic buy but I have heard good things about it)
Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank (leaked weeks ago but I haven't been able to find anything better than 128 kb/s-sourced so am not gonna bother. . .pretty much an automatic purchase for me anyway)
Blonde Redhead - 23 (maybe)
Bright Eyes - Cassadaga (maybe)
Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare (maybe - no doubt it'll be easy to 'preview')
Wilco - Sky Blue Sky (automatic)
Babyshambles (hope it's on par with The Blinding EP)
Built To Spill (I have a difficult time believing they'll release an album two years in a row)
Cursive (maybe)
Britt Daniel (likely)
Doves (maybe)
Earlimart (automatic)
Elbow (likely)
Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog (likely)
Islands (likely)
Les Savy Fav (automatic)
Mercury Rev (maybe)
Travis Morrison - All Y'All (not unless I can preview it first)
Pinback - Autumn Of The Seraphs (automatic)
Radiohead (automatic)
R.E.M. (I'll let one of my friends buy a new album for a change :) )
Shellac - Excellent Italian Greyhound (I'm sure my brother will have this before I do)
Spoon - Stroke Their Brains (automatic)
Super Furry Animals (automatic)
Tortoise (one of my friends will definitely have this - musicians are so predictable sometimes :p )
Chris Walla - It's Unsustainable (I don't know if I actually want this but am curious at least)
The White Stripes - Icky Thump (if not me someone I know will buy it)
The Wrens (automatic)

That should keep me busy for a while!

Good music is universal, some of them will automatic purchases for me too.

Shins, great album love it
A Bird, probably
Bloc Party, I'm with you had that leaked version and it left me cold, shame cos i was looking forward to it
Arcade Fire, picking it up today sounds good from what I've heard already
Son Volt, yes yes yes, came out yesterday can't wait
Arctic Monkeys, probably snag a copy from somewhere
Babyshambles, he's a prick but I love their music
Built To Spill, unlikely to see it I reckon
Elbow, Doves, Radiohead all definites
Earlimart, probably
Pinback, I probably shouldn't cos they all sound the same but I still like them
Spoon, SFA's yes definites
White Stripes, Wrens, both definites
Mercury Rev, not sure have they had their day, saying that I liked their last one...

A few not mentioned :-
Maximo Park, the tracks I've heard sound good
Kaiserchiefs, great Brit rock, love it
The View, think Arctic Monkeys for a reference point
Low, Air, Tracy Thorn, Kings of Leon
Go Find, National, Wheat, Ryan Adams
LCD Soundsytem, Electrelene

Cheers
Mike

nobody
03-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Not to many automatic buiys for me these days, but I gotta get somewhere to grab the new Air now that it's out and will need to get Kings of Leon as well once it's out. White Stripes will get snapped up as well.

Lots of other stuff that looks interesting, but I'll wanna hear something first before I buy.

Looking forward to hearing what the Angels of Light will be like.

Stone
03-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Today's a fine release day:

Stooges
Arcade Fire
Air
Apostle of Hustle

I know I'm missing a couple.