neighbor's sub update.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : neighbor's sub update....

Tarheel_
02-28-2007, 07:25 AM
recently there was a discussion and a poll on which sub my neighbor should purchase....well i'm too lazy to paste the link, but

he went with the poll results and purchased the PartsExpress 15" sub for around $300. It arived a few days later and was a snap to put together.

All i can say is dang, i'm impressed! Great recommendation! For $300 bucks the sub is nicely built, weighs 6x pounds and thumps. His room is still unfurnished and echos like you wouldn't believe....so dialing this beast in is difficult. We're waiting for furniture and a large rug before the final adjustments.

thanks everyone on the recommendation. He is VERY happy and the whole system sounds great.

L.J.
02-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Glad to hear it all worked out. Give us a review once all setup. Some picks would be nice as well.

GMichael
02-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Another (snif snif) PE sub joins our lil' family.:o

Glad you and your neighbor are enjoying it. Happy thumping.:7:

Brainstorm
02-28-2007, 08:23 AM
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w118/Brainstorm3417/Bambisubbassthumper2.jpg

recoveryone
02-28-2007, 10:01 AM
I told you Tarheel, Just think if he would have went with the 400 amp one. I knew dialing in the sound would be hard with the room setup and more power don't always mean better results. And I'm sure you guys are noticing that one setting does not work for sources. CD play and sound different than DVD's, phono, tape..etc...

one more suggestion for you, if possible raise the sub off the floor about 6" and see how tight the bass gets and less reverb.

GMichael
02-28-2007, 10:09 AM
raise the sub off the floor about 6"

Is this a Jedi trick?

recoveryone
02-28-2007, 11:04 AM
lol, naw just old school method of reducing sonic reverb. But I guess you could call it a Jedi trick since they use the old ways of the force. I read (Stereo Review) about speaker placement problems and reverb/boominess way back in the 80's which lead to the wave of tower speaker designs and how putting the woofers higher in the enclosure would cut bass reverb off floors. If not lifting the sub off the floor is an option, then place a thick rug under it about 4x5 in size. Sound treatment for flooring, walls and ceiling can really make a big diffirence and it does not have to cost a lot. Just think about how studios are made and even theaters/concert halls. The use of rugs. curtains can help control reverb and also add a nice look to your room if you have a flare for it.

Tarheel_
02-28-2007, 12:29 PM
yeah, the PE sub is impressive...but we still have alot of tweaking. First, i told him to put furniture in the dang room so it'll sound better (i like to spend other people's money).
Next, he needs a rug...not sure if the 6" off the floor is workable. His wife likes Star Wars, not him...so no Jedi training will help this wookie.
i'm very impressed with the amp size and overall solid-quality feel of the sub box. The outer grain looks nice as well.
We just need to calm the room down, it is way to echo-ish.

On a side note, i sold the Pioneer 1016 and purchased a slightly used Marantz SR5600 at my Revel dealer...he had a trade in and when we connected it to a pair of F52 Performas, it sounded great....it could use more power, but can't we all. Remote sucks though.
I post a review of that puppy after logging some hours. Can't wait for Lost tonight!

Brainstorm
02-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Build a platform out of very solid wood and place it mid height in the room, see if that helps?

GMichael
02-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Can't wait for Lost tonight!

I hear that! Here's one of tonights guest stas. Sung Hi-Lee

Brainstorm
02-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Wow that’s quite a dish but, but, I’ll just try and raise the sub bass off the floor I can’t take me off, off of her.:crazy:

Dusty Chalk
02-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Sung Hi-Lee*ahem*

*cough* *cough* *cough*

GMichael
02-28-2007, 02:18 PM
*ahem*

*cough* *cough* *cough*

Don't miss tonight's show.

Dusty Chalk
02-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Dude, there's no way I'm going to start watching a show like Lost right in the middle.