Lefsetz on Pork Tree [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Lefsetz on Pork Tree

MindGoneHaywire
02-27-2007, 09:07 PM
...figured the Porcupine Tree fans around here would enjoy this. While I'm not a huge fan of this band, some of their stuff ain't bad, and Lefsetz has a way of putting things...

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2007/02/26/arriving-somewhere/

ForeverAutumn
02-28-2007, 05:59 AM
Great article. Totally hits the nail on the head for me. It's all about setting your mind free, baby.

kexodusc
02-28-2007, 06:10 AM
Who's this clown think he is? "Arriving Somewhere" is a waaaaay better song than "Radioactive Toy"....:D

Troy
02-28-2007, 07:25 AM
Prog gets love in the mainstream rock press. Will wonders never cease?

Mr MidFi
02-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Well said.

Personally, I like both of those epic-length tracks just fine...in fact, they're my favorite tracks on their respective albums. But more to the point, he's spot-on when it comes to the appeal of prog (at least, for me). It takes me back to the "real me". The one who grew up in the 70s...the skinny, pimple-faced, stringy-haired one who hadn't a worry in the world.

The real me, who never had to laugh at a client's poor jokes, or act like a responsible parent, or balance a budget.

It makes me want to put on headphones, do a bong hit, and just chill.

NP: the iTunes shuffle gods have seen fit to reward me with "The Sound of Muzak". Coincidence?

ForeverAutumn
02-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Main system:
1972 SoundDesign AM/FM with a TT built in to the top of it, 3 pennies on the tonearm. Cracked TT dustcover, won't sit straight or stay up. Built in 8-Track player, stuck on track 2.

Speakers:
Pair of one way 4" spks in water-stained (My wife over-watered the fern) shoebox-sized wooden boxes with non-removable, cat-scratched burlap covers.

Video:
12" black and white Admiral with wire coathanger for an antenna. Simulated woodgrain. Not the "works in a drawer" model.

LMFAO!!!! :lol:

MindGoneHaywire
02-28-2007, 04:35 PM
That's funny, sure, but so is Troy's characterization of the source I linked to as the mainstream rock press.

Actually, there's some good stuff on there from last week that I'll try to put together a post about later on if I can.

Dusty Chalk
02-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks for posting that link -- you're right, he does say things in an interesting manner.