Do the commercial NEVER end????? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do the commercial NEVER end?????

ForeverAutumn
02-27-2007, 12:20 PM
I went on to the ABC web site to look at the Lost site (c'mon, what else would I be doing there?) and I had to sit through a freakin' Home Depot commercial on the site. A full video commercial. No way to shut it off. All I could do was turn my speakers off.

ARRRGGGGHHHHHH!

Dusty Chalk
02-27-2007, 12:22 PM
You could try disabling javascript and java in your browser before visiting the site, but that sometimes completely incapacitates your ability to do anything.

ForeverAutumn
02-27-2007, 12:26 PM
You could try disabling javascript and java in your browser before visiting the site, but that sometimes completely incapacitates your ability to do anything.

My point is that I shouldn't have to do that. They air more than enough commercials during Lost (and all TV shows). I shouldn't have to watch them when I visit the web site too. :incazzato:

GMichael
02-27-2007, 12:39 PM
My point is that I shouldn't have to do that. They air more than enough commercials during Lost (and all TV shows). I shouldn't have to watch them when I visit the web site too. :incazzato:

$$ makes the world go 'round.

Smokey
02-27-2007, 03:09 PM
FA better get used to it :D

Older TV shows suffer most with the current strict time slots for commercials and program in one hour time. They usually cut out 5 minutes from older 1/2 (24 minutes) hour shows, and 10 minutes from one hour (49 minutes) shows to accommodate 10/30 and 20/60 minute ratio for commercial breaks.

The best way around commercials might be to buy the DVD for your favorite TV shows.

ForeverAutumn
02-27-2007, 03:43 PM
FA better get used to it :D

Older TV shows suffer most with the current strict time slots for commercials and program in one hour time. They usually cut out 5 minutes from older 1/2 (24 minutes) hour shows, and 10 minutes from one hour (49 minutes) shows to accommodate 10/30 and 20/60 minute ratio for commercial breaks.

The best way around commercials might be to buy the DVD for your favorite TV shows.

I expect commercials when I watch a show. But I wasn't watching a show. I was visiting their web site. Are you trying to tell me that ABC can't afford to run their web site without shoving more commercials down my throat?

Am I the only one who finds this offensive and unacceptable?

Smokey
02-27-2007, 04:23 PM
FA, I agree with you. This is ridiculous.

I went to ABC’s Lost site with my browser’s Javascript off, and it stopped me dead cold. It tell me in order to procede, need either to enable my javascript so Flash player can play , and/or install one if don’t have a Flash player. If neither, then get lost LOL

Good thing I am not a fan :D

GMichael
02-27-2007, 04:32 PM
I expect commercials when I watch a show. But I wasn't watching a show. I was visiting their web site. Are you trying to tell me that ABC can't afford to run their web site without shoving more commercials down my throat?

Am I the only one who finds this offensive and unacceptable?

I don't like it either. But it is what it is. I don't think it will stop, or even slow down. Expect more and more.:incazzato:

Dusty Chalk
02-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Am I the only one who finds this offensive and unacceptable?Just for the record -- I agree with you, you shouldn't have to watch that carp just for visiting a website. I was just trying to help. I do it all the time on all sorts of websites.

elapsed
02-27-2007, 09:36 PM
I have the Flashbox extension installed onto Firefox. This has solved 99% of the intrusive advertisements I've had to suffer through in the past. :)

topspeed
02-28-2007, 04:57 PM
OK, a bit OT here, but what is javascript and how do I turn it on/off? I can never watch flash programming on my home computer because it says "You must have a flashplayer installed." So I click the link, take the 5 seconds to download a flash player...and it still doesn't work. Is javascript and a flashplayer connected?

Oh, and just so I'm not completely OT, I hate pop-up ads/videos as well.

Dusty Chalk
02-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Javascript is a subset of java built into HTML. It allows your browser to do interesting thing like drizzle, move pop-ups in your way, fly gnats around a screen, move pop-ups in your way, snow, move pop-ups in your way, &c. It has some utility, but I usually keep mine off. How to turn it off depends on your browser -- under IE, it's under security (turn it up); under Mozilla, it's under preferences.

Flash player is similar, but it's a plug-in. It's also completely different, in that you can't look at the page source and figure out what it does -- it's all binary. It's possible for a more advanced hacker to look at the binary code and reverse-engineer what it does, but most people could not. How is this relevant to you? It's not.

You need to run the Flash player installer after downloading it.

topspeed
03-01-2007, 10:08 AM
You need to run the Flash player installer after downloading it.
Do I download the installer from the Adobe website, or is it already there from the download. If so, where do I find it.

Sorry for the mundane questions, but honestly most of your post flew above my head and below my knees.

Worf101
03-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Errrr...

In a word....

No...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program....

Da Worfster

Dusty Chalk
03-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Do I download the installer from the Adobe website, or is it already there from the download. If so, where do I find it. It should still be there from the download, but if you don't know where it is, search for install_flash_player.exe...I think, I don't know if older versions used the same nomenclature. You can always download it again (but change the directory to your desktop so you can find it this time), run it from your desktop after it downloads, then delete it (the initial download, not the installed stuff).

topspeed
03-04-2007, 10:00 AM
It should still be there from the download, but if you don't know where it is, search for install_flash_player.exe...I think, I don't know if older versions used the same nomenclature. You can always download it again (but change the directory to your desktop so you can find it this time), run it from your desktop after it downloads, then delete it (the initial download, not the installed stuff).
You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

After uninstalling the previous version, everything seems to be working (finally!).

Thanks for your help, Peter.

Dusty Chalk
03-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Glad it worked!