What should I do? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

PAOGORMAN2001
02-27-2007, 09:50 AM
I have a choice to make and need some input from you folks please. I have Cambridge Soundworks M80 bookshelf speakers which are being used in conjunction with a NAD C352 amp and a C521 Cd player. I am very happy with the sound but I have an oppurtunity to get a pair of B&W 601-S2 speakers. I need opinions on which speaker is better in your opinion. I understand that that good sound is different to each person.
Just would love some feedback.

Thanks-- Pogo

blackraven
02-27-2007, 10:45 AM
They question is, why are you interested in new speakers? If your need a change then buy what sounds good to you. We can all make suggestions but it all boils down to your taste and the type of music you listen to. B&W makes some fine speakers and the 601's are nice. They are a littlle on the bright side and woud be a good match for your NAD equipment which tends to be on the warmer side. I wouldnt hesitate to buy a pair if they sound good. Are there better speakers, sure, but you may have to pay more. I've never heard the cambridge speakers so I cant comment on how they compare. I like the NHT classic three's. Good Luck!

Mark111867
02-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Hi. Blackraven offered some good advice. If you like the sound of the B&W's better,then go for it. I have an NAD C720BEE receiver hooked up to 2 pairs of M80's, so I'm biased here. The M80's are a much bigger speaker than the 601's. The m80's are three way speakers with an 8" woofer, the 601's are 2 way with a 6.5" woofer. I'm going to guess that the M80's will carry a bit more weight than the 601's, but I could be wrong. A little food for thought........sometimes different isn't always better. Trust your ears and go with what sounds best to you. Good luck.

PAOGORMAN2001
03-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Well I went and did it.
After reading the replies to my original question I decided to audition B&W 602s3's and boy am I glad I did. The sound is much more polished and refined . Detail is fantastic.
I had purchased my CSW M80's about three months before this but that's ok , I'm using them to upgrade my mains on my Onkyo HTIB . Thanks Mark111867 and BlackRaven for your input on the issue.
Now with my NAD C352 Amp
NAD C521 CD Player
B&W 602s3 Speakers

I'm a happy guy-------------------------For now.
Man! I can see how this hobby can become very taxing on the wallet

Thanks again
Pete

Carl Reid
03-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Well I went and did it.
After reading the replies to my original question I decided to audition B&W 602s3's and boy am I glad I did. The sound is much more polished and refined . Detail is fantastic.
I had purchased my CSW M80's about three months before this but that's ok , I'm using them to upgrade my mains on my Onkyo HTIB . Thanks Mark111867 and BlackRaven for your input on the issue.
Now with my NAD C352 Amp
NAD C521 CD Player
B&W 602s3 Speakers

I'm a happy guy-------------------------For now.
Man! I can see how this hobby can become very taxing on the wallet

Thanks again
Pete

Sorry I jumped on this thread so late... but I owned the NAD setup you have now... and I think you made a wise choice! though I never got to test the combo... I agree with Black Raven's comments about Nad being Warm and B&W bright... So I've always thought the pair would be a fantastic combo....

Enjoy

audio_dude
03-24-2007, 01:26 PM
oh yes, this hobby can be VERY taxing on one's wallet :P

PeruvianSkies
03-25-2007, 12:45 AM
I have a choice to make and need some input from you folks please. I have Cambridge Soundworks M80 bookshelf speakers which are being used in conjunction with a NAD C352 amp and a C521 Cd player. I am very happy with the sound but I have an oppurtunity to get a pair of B&W 601-S2 speakers. I need opinions on which speaker is better in your opinion. I understand that that good sound is different to each person.
Just would love some feedback.

Thanks-- Pogo

A few local dealers near me commonly combine NAD with B&W, it's a good combo for sure, but there are many other great combos out there and like others have said...go with what sounds great for you. Personally I think you will only be making a minor upgrade with this and it might not justify the total cost, perhaps save that money a bit longer and look into some other B&W products or look at other good manufacturers...I've also heard TOTEM ACOUSTICS w/ NAD and thought that was a good match as well!