Equipment Advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Advice

joewilly1
02-26-2007, 09:34 AM
I have a Yamaha RX-596 receiver attached to two Niles speaker controllers which then go to 4 pair of speakers in different rooms in the house. I also have a Yamaha RX-V420 Home Theater receiver that runs 5.1 surround sound in my den.

Although my components aren't that old, my electrician said they were kind of obsolete. He was throwing around terms like HDMI and others. He seemed to like Denon products. I also have been told that I can get something that will replace the two receivers with one that can operate music through the house and also the surround sound on different zones...I'd like to be able to have both going at the same time.

Any recommendations?

blackraven
02-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Yes, many receivers have multizone capability and can replace both your receivers. Denon and most other manufacturers make them. Just check their web sites and look at the features. But if your receivers are doing the job and your happy with them why change? As far as HDMI is concerned, this pertains to home theater use and is not a must have feature IMO.

Denon does make excellent products. I prefer the 3000 series receivers like the AVR 3806 over the 2000 series receivers. The power amps are totally different, but your talking $800-1500 for the AVR 3806 depending on where you find it online.

Resident Loser
02-26-2007, 09:58 AM
I have a Yamaha RX-596 receiver attached to two Niles speaker controllers which then go to 4 pair of speakers in different rooms in the house. I also have a Yamaha RX-V420 Home Theater receiver that runs 5.1 surround sound in my den.

Although my components aren't that old, my electrician said they were kind of obsolete. He was throwing around terms like HDMI and others. He seemed to like Denon products. I also have been told that I can get something that will replace the two receivers with one that can operate music through the house and also the surround sound on different zones...I'd like to be able to have both going at the same time.

Any recommendations?

...personally, I'd tell Sparky to mind his own friggin' business, but that's just the kinda' guy I am...

Whatever you buy today is kinda' obsolete yesterday, so unless you have problems or a case of upgrade-itis, you have a fairly flexible arrangement as things stand...

That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't do it. You will have to do a bit of research with your needs in mind...You have a lot of speakers and you can run into impedance problems, or amplifier power problems that two separate units tend to eliminate...HT receivers with zone capability have trade-offs...Generally speaking (7.1 units notwithstanding), if you use the internal, semi-dedicated surround sound amplification channels for another zone, you'll no longer have surround at your HT spot and if you elect NOT to use those channels, you will need an outboard amplifier, and yada, yada, yada...so what have you gained?

jimHJJ(...in reality, zip, nada, squat...)

blackraven
02-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Ditto! I didnt see that you wanted to run HT as well as zone 2 at the same time. Just buy a HT receiver and use your older receivers for other area's of the house.

joewilly1
02-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll heed it and stick with what I have.