Which to sell [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which to sell

SpankingVanillaice
02-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Which speakers are better out of the two? The JBL HLS410 or the JBL Control 1Xtreme? I currently have both of them and I' am trying to decide which one to sell on E-bay. I will need to sell one of them but I don't know which I should sell. I need to save money to get better speakers but in the mean while I need to get the most I can and I sure don't need two pairs of speakers so please tell me which speakers is the best out of the two so I can sell one. Both are in good condition and sound like new.

Here are some specs on the JBL Control 1Xtreme.

CONTROL1XTREME
2-Way, 4-Inch (100mm), Personal-Size Monitor Loudspeaker

Small-footprint, personal-size monitor with rugged, molded enclosure brings the music anywhere it's needed, including the home or office.

Shielded components allow placement next to video monitors.

Optional wall-mount brackets available (WBC1).

MSRP: $199.99PR

SPECIFICATIONS

General
Recommended Power Amplifier Range 10 Watts – 80 Watts
Impedance 8 Ohms
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m) 89dB
Frequency Response 80Hz – 20kHz
High-Frequency Driver 1/2" Titanium-laminate dome, shielded
Low-Frequency Driver 4", Shielded
Dimensions
(H x W x D) 9" x 6-1/16" x 5-7/16"
(228mm x 155mm 139mm)
Weight 5.2 lb (2.4kg)

Here's some specs on the JBL HLS410.

HLS410

Video Shielding allows speakers to be safely placed near a TV without distorting your television's picture.

MSRP: $229.00PR

SPECIFICATIONS

First Manufactured 1998
Last Manufactured 1999
First MSRP $229.00
General
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m) 86
Impedance 8
4"
Midrange Driver N/A
High-Frequency Driver 10mm mounted in Constant Directivity Horn
Recommended Power Amplifier Range 15 - 100 watts
Dimensions (H x W x D) 10 x 5 1/2 x 6 1/8"
Frequency Response (±3dB) 75 - 20kHz

SpankingVanillaice
02-25-2007, 08:52 PM
I'am serious about this and I need real true adivse reguarding selling the Control 1Xtreme or the HLS410.

Thank You very much!

Rock789
02-25-2007, 09:00 PM
"here's your sign"

Rock789
02-25-2007, 09:03 PM
why not sell both and buy these? (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=302-940), these, (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-640) or these? (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=302-930)

SpankingVanillaice
02-25-2007, 09:21 PM
I can't sell both I need a pair of speakers to hear sound. I only have two pairs of speakers now and I need to keep the best out of the two and sell the one that is not as good. I need everyone to please research on these two speakers carefully and tell me which out of the two is the best overall speaker.

elapsed
02-25-2007, 10:12 PM
How about you tell us, which pair sounds better to you? Keep that pair.

If you're planning on selling both eventually to upgrade then what does it really matter? You'll get roughly the same money for either pair on eBay if they do sell. :)

Florian
02-25-2007, 10:47 PM
I can't sell both I need a pair of speakers to hear sound. I only have two pairs of speakers now and I need to keep the best out of the two and sell the one that is not as good. I need everyone to please research on these two speakers carefully and tell me which out of the two is the best overall speaker.

Even at danger of repeating myself i have to say this.

*Image a friendly, soft and warm voice and read the following ...... "i am stupid" and then pat yourself on the back.

SpankingVanillaice
02-26-2007, 02:53 AM
Well I wanted to know the general feedbacks of the two speakers. Example: Someone might say the JBL HLS410 is a better speaker since it uses a horn and it can have a lower crossover point to blend the music better and the woofers is better quality and materal then the Control 1Xtreme. By the way that part where I said having lower crossover point is true fact about the HLS410.

Florian
02-26-2007, 03:04 AM
Well I wanted to know the general feedbacks of the two speakers. Example: Someone might say the JBL HLS410 is a better speaker since it uses a horn and it can have a lower crossover point to blend the music better and the woofers is better quality and materal then the Control 1Xtreme. By the way that part where I said having lower crossover point is true fact about the HLS410.

And another one might just call you an idiot.

markw
02-26-2007, 04:27 AM
So, all this agonizing over specs and you stil ldon't know what you like? Yeah, you're cool. Wotta waste of time.

IMNSHO, you're asking us to choose which we would rather eat. Bull dung or cow dung. I'd choose neither. Get rid of both of 'em.

But hey, we're not gonna be eating it so it behooves you to choose whichever you prefer.

Be a man. Make your own decision and go with it.

...or ask Adam. Maybe you'll take his advice.

Dusty Chalk
02-26-2007, 04:55 AM
This is the advice you would get if anyone else were to ask it: listen and decide for yourself.

GMichael
02-26-2007, 06:32 AM
I have two cheeseburgers. I'd like to sell one. Which one do you think I should sell? The one in my left hand is thicker by 2.5mm and has pickles and mustard, but the one on the right is 1.7 inches wider and has mayo and catsup (or ketchup). If you were me, which one would you sell on Ebay and for how much?

Sorry Spanky. It was too funny not to say. But really. Forget the specs man. Which ones do you like better? No one here is qualified to tell you what sounds better to you. If you sat us all down in a room with these things, half of us would pick one set and the other half would pick the other. And we'd all have reasons why, but none of them would matter. All that matters is, do you like mayo or mustard with that. Speakers are the same way. People will like what they like. What do you like?

L.J.
02-26-2007, 06:42 AM
Sell both

GMichael
02-26-2007, 06:46 AM
Sell both

But what would I eat?

Rock789
02-26-2007, 07:41 AM
But what would I eat?
arn't they cold now?
cook a new burger ;o)

GMichael
02-26-2007, 07:49 AM
arn't they cold now?
cook a new burger ;o)

Well one is at 104 degrees Fahrenheit and the other is at 40 degrees Celsius. Which one is hotter?

noddin0ff
02-26-2007, 07:50 AM
These threads are like scabs--the more you pick at them, the worse they get.

SVI, I'd sell the one that will get the most money on ebay. If you're going to upgrade, the more money you have to do so the better. If you can't tell which one sounds better to you, then for your listening purposes, it doesn't matter which you sell. Sell the one that costed more; presumably that one will get more on ebay.

audio_dude
02-26-2007, 07:58 AM
Spanky, go to a hifi store, pick out some speakers you like, get a price, then go home, sell both speakers for the amount of money you need and then go buy the new pair you like.

(BTW, best buy is NOT a hifi store...)

L.J.
02-26-2007, 08:22 AM
But what would I eat?

Oh, I was actually suggesting that Spanky (I can't believe I just typed that) sell both and buy decent used speakers with the money. Or better yet, save for a bit and then make a purchase. Should be able find something good easily. In the meantime I'm sure he has a boombox or something to go on. Probably could even find something in a garage sale for $10 to keep em going.

Gm I suggest to throw those burgers away and move on to steak :)

basite
02-26-2007, 08:36 AM
!

sell both, buy better (read: real) speakers instead,
don't just buy something.

ask us which ones, and then buy that ones we said you to buy (or go listen to the ones we suggested), nothing else!

and remember that thing I said in my previous post? Try saving sometime...
save now,
look for better speakers in the meanwhile (keep saving money too...)
and when you saved enough, sell all your speakers and buy new ones with the money you saved and the money you made by selling the speakers...

until then,
leave.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
02-26-2007, 08:46 AM
I think you should try these: http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=82.1

Get mom to let you use her credit card. If you don't like these, you can send them back at no charge (within the 30 days). They'll even give you (her) the freight back. If you like them, you'll have time to sell both sets that you have now and give mom the money before her CC bill comes in the mail.

While you are at it, here is a nice Integrated Amp to save up for. http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=processors&product=20.1

Resident Loser
02-26-2007, 09:09 AM
...off your meds again?

Since you have both pairs of them...if you have a speaker A/B switch on what-ever-it-is you use as an amp, hook both pairs up, play your source, switch between the two pairs of speakers...lissen real good...for a lo-o-o-o-ng time...does one pair sound better than the other?...sell the one that doesn't sound so good...

jimHJJ(...it's THAT friggin' simple...)

markw
02-26-2007, 10:42 AM
She's with Ben.

Brainstorm
02-28-2007, 12:21 PM
I don’t know how to answer this, but in the last 18 years now that I have been using the JBL control series 5 and more recently since last year the JBL control 1 which are made up in multiples that go around the room in a hoarse shoe configuration as well as have a few attached to the ceiling and when balanced aligned and calibrated they deliver a truly moving surround for films.

And granted I only paid around £249. 95p not all at the same time but over the coarse of the summertime of 2006, where a total of x10 have been installed so far with a around x14 more or so to go!

Florian
02-28-2007, 12:23 PM
I have a smilar problem. I am most likely to sell my speakers too.

GMichael
02-28-2007, 12:26 PM

My basement isn't tall enough for them. You'll have to keep them until I'm ready.

Florian
02-28-2007, 12:30 PM
My basement isn't tall enough for them. You'll have to keep them until I'm ready.

They are most likely to go to New York for 65K

elapsed
02-28-2007, 12:30 PM
GMichael - until you have space for the Apogee Grands, may I suggest a pair of JBL Control 1Xtreme speakers? I just happen to know of someone who may be selling this exact pair!

Resident Loser
02-28-2007, 12:31 PM

...Downstairs neighbors don't like the idea of strategically placed screw-jacks supporting their ceiling?

jimHJJ(...jus' wunnerin'...)

GMichael
02-28-2007, 01:17 PM
They are most likely to go to New York for 65K

That should just about cover the freight.

Dude, you must be so upset to see them go. What are you getting instead?

Florian
02-28-2007, 01:36 PM
That should just about cover the freight.

Dude, you must be so upset to see them go. What are you getting instead?

Well it aint sure yet, but maybe the following

Analysis Audio Amphitryon with a full lineup of Pathos Reference Gear with a goldmund T3F Reference Turntable.Something like that

GMichael
02-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Well it aint sure yet, but maybe the following

Analysis Audio Amphitryon with a full lineup of Pathos Reference Gear with a goldmund T3F Reference Turntable.Something like that

These? http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/analysisaudio/epsilon.html

Not too shabby. How do they stack up to your babies?

Florian
02-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Na thats the small one. I am looking at the biggest one. The Amphitryon

basite
03-01-2007, 07:39 AM
why are u going to sell them?

and how does the Amphitryon compare to yours?

anayways, good luck man,

Rock on!
Bert.

Florian
03-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Well, nothing is certain or done yet. I am considering selling the speaker because i can get close to 10 times more money back then what i have put into it. The top of the line Amph. speaker is very good, altough nowhere close to the Grand. But no speaker i have ever heard comes close to the Grand. In one swift move i could finish a fantastic system, certainly amongst the best. But the Grand is so good, that i cannot decided even at close to 10 times the price. So its a thinker!

basite
03-01-2007, 07:59 AM
If I were you, I'd keep the grands, and then started saving to get the the rest of that ultra exotic gear...

when you buy those other speakers, you will never reach the same quality as the grand again, but when you keep your grands, you can save on, and buy the fantastic amps and cd players and all the rest later...

Greetings,
Bert.

emorphien
03-01-2007, 12:47 PM
spanky, you're a moron

hydroman
03-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Flo-
It would eat me alive to step down in speakers to finish the system... Unless the end result was better. If it ain't...

GMichael
03-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Flo-
It would eat me alive to step down in speakers to finish the system... Unless the end result was better. If it ain't...

I hear that. But he would be "stepping down" from F'n incredible to just incredible.

Rock789
03-01-2007, 01:40 PM
once you have it, how can you let it go

Dusty Chalk
03-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Here's a thought -- with as few as there are out there, will you really be able to get them again if you realize you made a mistake?

I'm not saying "don't", I'm just saying, "think long and hard about this".

SpankingVanillaice
03-03-2007, 03:10 PM
I have decided to keep the Control 1Xtremes and I removed the Titanium-Laminated dome tweeters and I ordered two Polycarbonated dome tweeters that was used in the orginal Control 1 since I like the sound of Polycarbonate better then titanium-laminate.

Both the Control 1Xtreme and the orginal Control 1 uses same size woofers and tweeters. I did learn one thing for sure is that the woofers model number is exactly same as the pro Control 1. Only the tweeters said Control 1X. So I just swap the Titanium-Laminate tweeters to Polycarbonate tweeters that are used in the orginal Control 1 and it sounds perfect as I want meaning it sounds exactly like the Orginal Control 1 from Pro even the power is the same, bass and highs same etc. :)

emorphien
03-03-2007, 04:39 PM
I have decided to keep the Control 1Xtremes and I removed the Titanium-Laminated dome tweeters and I ordered two Polycarbonated dome tweeters that was used in the orginal Control 1 since I like the sound of Polycarbonate better then titanium-laminate.

Both the Control 1Xtreme and the orginal Control 1 uses same size woofers and tweeters. I did learn one thing for sure is that the woofers model number is exactly same as the pro Control 1. Only the tweeters said Control 1X. So I just swap the Titanium-Laminate tweeters to Polycarbonate tweeters that are used in the orginal Control 1 and it sounds perfect as I want meaning it sounds exactly like the Orginal Control 1 from Pro even the power is the same, bass and highs same etc. :)
oh boy

Rock789
03-04-2007, 01:04 AM
I'm glad you are happy with your decision

Florian
03-04-2007, 06:13 AM
Well, i picked up my new 250 Krell this weekend, and well...the Grand stays :)
I am selling one in comission tough for my friend in France, price is 115k....

basite
03-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Well, i picked up my new 250 Krell this weekend, and well...the Grand stays :)

Good news,

now get 'em spinning really good!!
and when possible post some pics :ihih:

Rock on,
Bert.

Florian
03-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Well ya know, its more about being frustrated then anything else. I have to wait 5 month so far on the Grand electronics etc.. Then you need even more poweramps, dedicated lines etc.. But having the first new Krell here seems to show that i am getting somewhere. So i keep on :ihih:

basite
03-04-2007, 10:05 AM
'slowly' but surely...

keep on going...

Greetings,
Bert.

Florian
03-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Here is a picture. The new Krell is the black one

Normally i would not try to ruin a thread, but in this case there is nothing to ruin.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//505/P1020370.JPG

audio_dude
03-04-2007, 10:22 AM
*drool*

basite
03-04-2007, 10:36 AM
*drool* indeed

that is one sweet looking amp,

Rock on,
Bert.

Florian
03-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Well, while we are at it :-)

This is a small picture from my friends place. Its not done yet but a system in progress.

Well this is my buddys MG20 setup.
Jadis JP80
Audio Research SP9 and SP10 and SP11
Goldmund Eidos 36
Goldmund DAC
Goldmund T3 Reference
Forsell Air Reference
Audio Research EC21
Conrad Johnson Premier 5 Monos
Conrad Johnson Premier 4 Stereo
Conrad Johnson Preamps (3)
Rel Studio
Maggie 20 (beeing replaced by other planars)
amongst other toys

and my dog :-)

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/P1020363.JPG

jrhymeammo
03-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Hey Flo,

are you just a slob or stack CDs in a secret German technique that no one knows about?

But I bet even the scratched CDs sound great in your system.

Florian
03-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Hey Flo,

are you just a slob or stack CDs in a secret German technique that no one knows about?

But I bet even the scratched CDs sound great in your system.

I am just a slob, i listen to so much music. More then 11hrs a day that i just dont bother anymore. My carpet infront of the Grand is covered in music. I am not a stereotypical audiophile and polish my knobs to remove them from static. To me its just a fun hobby and sometimes i forget the prices of all that music.

JohnMichael
03-04-2007, 11:02 AM
That is a great Ute Lemper cd I spotted on the end table. I have it but would love to hear it on that system or on yours of course.

bobsticks
Well ya know, its more about being frustrated then anything else. I have to wait 5 month so far on the Grand electronics etc.. Then you need even more poweramps, dedicated lines etc.. But having the first new Krell here seems to show that i am getting somewhere. So i keep on :ihih:

Stick with it Flo, nothing good ever came easy...

...much like the quandry of how to chieve hi-end bliss with JBL. To throw another speak into the fray is the introduction of the new JBL Submission OneSixNinerAThreeQSeventy with its polcarbonated non-resonating molybednum tweeter fixture housing the world famous moth paper arsenic-treated A5Niner tweet. What to do, what to do?

jrhymeammo
11hours a day? You lucky bastard!! No wonder your electricity bill is more than a payment for a 5 series.

But I do think stacking CDs on top of each other is safer than getting one of those Case Logic folders. Yuck..

jrhymeammo
03-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Planar looks like fun. How much regular tube power do you think I would need for a pair of MMG or 1.6R? 80/125ish in 4?

Florian
03-04-2007, 11:10 AM
You know planar speakers are really wonderfull and Maggies are a great starter! But one has to remember that the only way they really work is in a large room, with lots of space and absolutly top notch electronics. After the Maggies you can choose more difficult but better speakers from Apogee or Analysis Audio amongst other system builders. Its a long hard journey but these systems are great! Real dynamics with closer to real imaging, soundstaging and resolution. I will never go back ;-)

My friend was running 500 krell watts into the bass, 250 tube watts per side into the midrange and 250 tube watts into the tweeter fully 3 way active. Now its time to let them go and move up in speakers.

jrhymeammo
03-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Sounds like a great system.

You can do whatchu want, but make sure your dog can go to your bedroom away from your 120db beasts.

basite
03-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Planar looks like fun. How much regular tube power do you think I would need for a pair of MMG or 1.6R? 80/125ish in 4?

JRA, I've heard the MG12, and I'd say this:
Skip the mmg, go for the MG12, or even better, the 1.6R
I think the dealer said they needed like 60 watts (tube watts, of course) at least. Not sure though, it could have been more too...
and it was for the MG12, the 1.6 will obviously require more...
and I know 6.5" woofers can produce quite some bass... :cornut:

I've just been playing around with speaker cable now, and that made quite a difference too, plays much clearer somehow...

and Flo,
tell your friend that he has a nice place.
and that he has a very nice system, I've always wondered how jadis sounds, and I'm starting to wonder how Audio Research sounds too. :ihih:

Greetings,
Bert.

basite
03-04-2007, 11:31 AM
seems like your dog likes it there too :cornut:

I wonder how SVI thinks about these systems....

Rock on,
Bert.

jrhymeammo
03-04-2007, 12:13 PM
I've just been playing around with speaker cable now, and that made quite a difference too, plays much clearer somehow...

Greetings,
Bert.

Did you get your PBJ? I hope they'll work for ya. Mine's been just sitting around. I should sell them so I can get a nicer quad of KT88. But I might prefer them if I move to a different apartment.

Robert-The-Rambler
03-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Here is a picture. The new Krell is the black one

Normally i would not try to ruin a thread, but in this case there is nothing to ruin.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//505/P1020370.JPG

I'm seeing numbers in your posts that exceed yearrly salaries for a lot of people. And your right about this thread. I suspected SVI was a phony from the get go but since I don't have the power to mod here I figured I wouldn't worry about it. Anyhow, I look at your stuff and I am clueless. Could you post a link to info about the stuff in another thread or something. I like reading about stuff even if I can't afford it. Dreaming never hurt anybody.

basite
03-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Did you get your PBJ? I hope they'll work for ya. Mine's been just sitting around. I should sell them so I can get a nicer quad of KT88. But I might prefer them if I move to a different apartment.

I already have the PBJ interconnect,
It's being used now for my phonobox, but when my cd player arrives, it will be used for that.
but I've been playing around with speaker cables now.
I've moved my gear and placed them between my speakers (on wooden plates, rack is going to be build soon) because the 6m of speaker cable (per side, 12m in total) crossing my entire room annoyed me.
using the shorter (and since I used 2 cables per side) really cleared things up...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
03-04-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm seeing numbers in your posts that exceed yearrly salaries for a lot of people. And your right about this thread. I suspected SVI was a phony from the get go but since I don't have the power to mod here I figured I wouldn't worry about it. Anyhow, I look at your stuff and I am clueless. Could you post a link to info about the stuff in another thread or something. I like reading about stuff even if I can't afford it. Dreaming never hurt anybody.

The local power company sends him Christmas cards.
Flo, remember not to run your system durring peak hours.

Robert-The-Rambler
03-04-2007, 06:58 PM
The local power company sends him Christmas cards.
Flo, remember not to run your system durring peak hours.

You must have to be naked in the summer to enjoy that gear. It must get hot in there and you probably don't have enough amps left to adequately offer climate control.

Rock789
03-05-2007, 05:29 AM
You must have to be naked in the summer to enjoy that gear. It must get hot in there and you probably don't have enough amps left to adequately offer climate control.
Probably has a low voltage 3phase service to power everything ;o)

audio_dude
03-05-2007, 03:56 PM
now... as much as I dislike SVI threads now... how did we get to flo showing off his system?!?

i'm beginning to get an idea here... "the bigger a man's stereo, the small his p****"

Florian
03-05-2007, 04:07 PM
now... as much as I dislike SVI threads now... how did we get to flo showing off his system?!?

i'm beginning to get an idea here... "the bigger a man's stereo, the small his p****"

Just go and ask your mom about that :cornut: LOL-----you know i am only kidding.

GMichael
03-06-2007, 06:16 AM
Did anyone see that coming?

Carl Reid
03-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Did anyone see that coming?

Me! Me! Me! *Waves hands frantically*

Yeah, I think someone (won't say who though lol) was just begging for that comeback....

JohnMichael
03-06-2007, 10:59 AM

I thought that was the bigger a man's car, said the Toyota Echo driver as he passed the Hummer driver as he pulled into yet another gas station.

basite
03-06-2007, 11:08 AM
I thought that was the bigger a man's car, said the Toyota Echo driver as he passed the Hummer driver as he pulled into yet another gas station.

reality comes hard... :cornut:

Rock on,
Bert.