I saw Spoon on Austin City Limits last night... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I saw Spoon on Austin City Limits last night...

Swish
02-25-2007, 09:40 AM
...while channel surfing after watching That Thing You Do on one of the movie channels. I only caught two songs; The Delicate Place and Sister Jack, both from their last release, Gimme Fiction, but that was better than nothing. If I had to make a list of my favorite bands over the last 5 or 10 years, these guys would certainly be on it. I'd never seen them perform, so this was an unexpected treat, and I hope I get a chance to see them when they decide to tour somewhere near me. I don't see any shows on the East Coast listed on their website, but maybe I'll get lucky later in the year.

Swish

icarus
02-25-2007, 09:59 AM
What kind of music does Spoon play??

Swish
02-25-2007, 10:27 AM
What kind of music does Spoon play??

...but that would be too broad to mean anything. They're based in Austin, TX and formed in 1994, had a major label release in 1998 that bombed, then went back to their indie roots, and that's when I "found" them here at Rave Recs. I can't remember who first mentioned them, but their 2001 cd, Girls Can Tell, was outstanding, and I really liked the next two, Kill the Moonlight and Gimme Fiction. They've been mentioned in the same breath as the Pixies and Sonic Youth, so if you like that type of indie rock with shades of punk, you should like Spoon. Their front man, Britt Daniel is one heck of a songwriter...or at least I think he writes most of the tunes.

It's my opinion that these guys should be HUGE, because they're that good. If they had the right exposure, they could fill some big venues.

Swish