Panasonic 60U [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic 60U

BillyB
02-24-2007, 11:29 AM
Just wandering if anyone can confirm something for me.I have the Panasonic 60U plasma and have a question regarding the audio outs.The display has RCA outs and an Optical digital audio out.At first I used the RCA's to my reciever and it was obvious the audio out was a fixed level type.I bought the better Optical audio cable and was surprised to find the same result.Even with the display speakers off the volume control on the Panny remote is obsolete.Not a big deal but sometimes I like to just use the TV remote once the reciever is calibrated.Can't do that and adjust the HT volume unless I'm missing something.Anyone with the same display that could let me know about their set-up?

edtyct
02-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Why would you use audio output at all from the TV? If you don't use the on-board speakers, the amplification from the Panasonic is almost useless. That's why the outputs are de-coupled from the volume control on the TV remote. Is it that hard to memorize the colume level on the receiver so that you can change it back when you're done with a lower-volume setting? I'm not trying to bust your chops, just to understand your situation better. Am I missing something?

BillyB
02-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Why would you use audio output at all from the TV? If you don't use the on-board speakers, the amplification from the Panasonic is almost useless. That's why the outputs are de-coupled from the volume control on the TV remote. Is it that hard to memorize the colume level on the receiver so that you can change it back when you're done with a lower-volume setting? I'm not trying to bust your chops, just to understand your situation better. Am I missing something?

This set-up is brand new and I'm still purchasing A/V cables.My DVD player and HD cable box are feeding the Panasonic via HDMI inputs so for now I'm using the Panny's Optical digital audio out to feed my A/V reciever for all audio output.While less than ideal this does work if the reciever is set up properly.I will feed all audio through digital inputs on A/V reciever once I pick them out.

My reciever is behind the wall in a closet and my new IR extender isn't working well,thus the nuisance of controlling the volume until this problem is solved.Variable audio outs while less common these days would have temporarily solved my problem regarding volume control.It was just a simple question as I already knew what my long term solution needed to be.

edtyct
02-24-2007, 06:07 PM
Got ya. Just checking. Good luck.