Floorstanding speaker shopping advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Floorstanding speaker shopping advice

Hashpot
02-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Im finally getting a pair of floorstanding speakers but i need help deciding on the perfect pair of floorstanding speakers.Ive been looking around and Ive been thinking about purchasing the JBL STADIUM Venue Series Speaker which looks great their the most in value in my price range I seen the same JBL's for $250(each) at Vanns.com but i can get them for 200each at JR.com I like this speakers because of the bass these produce, they have 8-inch woofers and they have some kind of polyplas drivers not too sure what those are but it sounds like a good thing though. Im having a hard time all this researching is giving me a headache because I find i a pair of speakers that are in and out of my pricerange and then later i find the same speakers at a lowerprice so if you thik of good floorstanding speks dont get caught up on the price because I could probality find them cheaper i notice that older models are way cheaper but I dont want speakers from the 2003's the oldest i want to go is 2005 . My limit is $400 for a pair of good speakers. I want them to be magnetically shielded so i can place them next to my Hitachi 50'' rear projection lcd. The height of the living room is about 8ft and the width is 20 by 17(ft) across. I hope i not too demanding i just want the perfect speakers any suggestions would be great.

PeruvianSkies
02-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Well, I am sure that you will get tons of recommendations from this site, but before anyone does so, please let me just say that you are going to want to get whats sounds 'best' to you, which will require you to audition them and shop around a bit for different brands to see what meets your needs and more importantly makes your ears happy.

For $400 you will most likely not find too many floorstanding speakers of superb quality, but you may want to check the used sections if you are able to audition them new. This is always a common setback for some people. Also check local dealers and see if they have any floor models that might be discounted and always check to see if you are able to check them out with your currrent gear for satisfaction purposes.

Good luck and good night.

blackraven
02-24-2007, 04:43 PM
I would consider the infinity primus 360's or beta30-40's over the JBL's. You may still be able to find last years models at discount prices. But why limit yourself to floor standers when you can buy bookshelfs for the same price that will sound better. I really like the NHT classic two's and three's as well as the super zero's. Check J&R music for the NHT's. Or like Peruvian says, buy used and get more speaker for the money.

Hashpot
02-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Bookshelf ay i did consider bookshelf but the only reason i really wanted floorstanding is because of the height placement i dont have anywhere to place bookshelfs unless i buy stands but then i dont want to spend on stands. the reason why i dont want to spend alot is because my parents are cheap so I have to stick with my budget. A while back ago i checked this bookshelfs there called the HB-1 Horn Bookshelfs are this any good?

audio_dude
02-24-2007, 06:45 PM
the HB-1 Horn Bookshelfs are actually quite nice speakers, they're made by HSU (yes, the famous sub maker) http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

These would be nice, but i think you can go much better with that $400 budget...

You could go with something thats suggested, or something else... something used might be better...
and buy a pair of these stands http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?PartNumber=240-744

emorphien
02-24-2007, 08:02 PM
In that price range I'd consider Athena and Infiniti for new towers.

Otherwise I'd go for bookshelves and also look at used speakers.

blackraven
02-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Get a couple of cinder blocks to use as speaker stands till you can afford a pair. Speaker stands can be bought for under $75 when you have the money.

Hashpot
02-24-2007, 09:48 PM
"I would consider the infinity primus 360's or beta30-40's over the JBL's." Hey blackraven im pretty sure you heard about the M3 V2 bookshelfs from Axiom should I buy these. This is going to be my first purchase ever for speakers thats why i just ask so much..But im going to look at the Infinity primus 360's and the beta

emorphien
02-24-2007, 09:59 PM
I own a pair of the M3Tis which as I understand are basically identical to the M3 v2s, I'd certainly recommend them in this price range. IMO they compare well against everything else I've heard under $350-400 (and IMO better than some more expensive speakers) but whether you'll like them depends on your taste.

Hashpot
02-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Would they be good for both movies and music they will be used mainly for movies though.

blackraven
02-25-2007, 12:12 AM
I cant comment on the Axioms because I havent heard them, but with a 30 day return,you cant go wrong. I bought my daughter the Primus 160's and theysound great. I'm sure the 360's sound even better. I prefer the Beta's though. They have a much fuller sound with more powerful bass. They play very loud and dont loose their composure.
The NHT's are even better, very detailed, transparent with great imaging for speakers in this price range. Your right to ask about speakers. People can recommend certain brands but it all boils down to what sounds good to your ears. Take your time and dont rush because your too eager to get a new pair. Buy what sounds good to you and not other people. Thats the best advice I can give you.
Hope this helps, Good Luck!

basite
02-25-2007, 02:43 AM
yes, bookshelves will be alot better in that price range...
and speakerstands may look expensive for what they are, but they certainly improve the sound...
and if you really don't want to spend so much money on stands, you ca, always make your own...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

emorphien
02-25-2007, 06:40 AM
Would they be good for both movies and music they will be used mainly for movies though.
In my experience the Axioms are a speaker that has a good balance for both music and movies. The speakers I replaced them with would not work for movies IMO but are excellent for music. I still have the Axioms though, I think at this point I've pretty much decided to just hang on to them until I have a need or a way to use them again.

JohnMichael
02-25-2007, 11:31 AM
If you are going bookshelf I would like to recommend the Ascend Acoustic CBM 170 SE speakers. They are very neutral. http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html

I am pleased with the greater definition compared to my NHT SuperOnes. Highs are extended without being bright. Excellent vocal reproduction. Good but not boomy bass and should mate easily with a sub. Great for all types of music.

Vardo
02-25-2007, 04:28 PM
I have Axiom speakers M3's (QS-4 surrounds) in a second, smaller
home theater. Placed properly they sound great. The spekers are
very detailed (a little on the bright side, and I don't mean that as a
negative...just well defined sound) Decent bass for a speaker that
size. They are extremely well built, and can be ordered in a number
of finishes (mine are light maple) at no extra cost. You can pick up
a pair of stands from B&H audio. They have a huge selection, with
prices as low as $60 a pair. Read the reviews of M3's on this site.

Ascend speakers, from what I've read ( reviews on this site,
CBM 170 SE) are also a good. I have not heard them, but
I get the impression they are a softer, more laid back sound than
Axiom. (But that's just an opinion based on what other people
have written, and that is not meant to be a negative either).
I have Mirage M5si's in my main listening room...and they have a
very softer/layed back sound compared to many speakers.
Axiom has a 30 day trial period, not sure about Ascend. Don't
like 'em, send them back.

Buy speakers that sound good to your ears, as others have said
in this thread, it all depends on your taste....good luck, vardo