a sub [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : a sub

02-15-2004, 01:46 AM
I think many newbies are asking this question

Does it matter the brand of sub that you put into your system?
I am aware of needs for matching timbre, hence this question. Is it better to get a sub of the same brand that matches it?

On a personal note, this is regarding a 2.1 system rather than 5.1 surround

Sealed
02-15-2004, 02:57 AM
The brand doesn't matter at all. It's the sub itself: is it capable ot not? You can mix and match all day, so long as the sub is good...no matter what the name on it says.

markw
02-15-2004, 05:37 AM
Not so much brand limitations, but I/O considerations on your stuff and the sub.

The main one is to be sure you can integrate it into your system. For instance, if you don't have a LFE output, a sub swith only one line level input won't be able to plug into your system.

Check your stuff first. Is there a provision for preamp outputs and main inputs? If so, you can use any sub with a r/l line level input (and possibly outputs, but this is not mandatory.) All you would need is a pair of "Y" connectors (or another interconnect).

If you don't have these, you will need to limit your chouces to only those subs with speaker level inputs (and possibly outputs).

Bryan
02-16-2004, 05:44 AM
You ask a couple of interesting questions.

"Does it matter the brand of sub that you put into your system?"

1. Yes it does. Not all subs are created equal. The KLH 10" sub sold at BB will not sound nearly as good as a HSU VTF-2. Buying a quality sub to begin with will save you quite a bit of money in the long run.

"I am aware of needs for matching timbre, hence this question. Is it better to get a sub of the same brand that matches it?"

No. Typically, companies that make good speakers do not make good subwoofers. JBL speakers are great but their subs, IMO, leave a lot to be desired.

Either buy a new or used quality sub to begin with and can be set for years to come.

chimera128
02-16-2004, 08:32 AM
Timbre matching refers to the main channels, the center channel, and the rear channels. The sub brand does not matter, just buy one that you like in terms of sound quality and performance.