speaker upgrading time!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : speaker upgrading time!!!

audio_dude
02-23-2007, 04:23 PM
ok guys, lets do this!

Budget: $400-$600 CDN aka monopoly money :lol: (approx. $325-$525 for you lazy americans)
style: bookshelf (save $50 for stand building materials), or floorstanding (no need for stands :P)
Music tastes: classic rock, hard rock, heavy rock (my madeup term for bands like pearl jam and such), rock, Jazz, Funk, Classical (piano, orchestral)
oh yes...a HUGE range there :P (they're listed in order of quantity listened to of each genre)

Right now I have my eyes on the new Paradigm Mini-Monitor V.5 ($400CDN from my local hifi shop that really loves me :P)

I will have $200 coming from the sale/trade in of my old Atoms, $200-$300 from my dad, and as much as I can afford to put in (we'll say about $100)

Any and all suggestions welcome, if you can, list possible audition places for the speakers in or near the Ottawa, ontario area if possible...

Cheers!:smilewinkgrin:

Luvin Da Blues
02-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Check out the Infinity Beta 20's...I have a pair and they sound pretty good IMO. Of course I spend a considerable amount of time placing them just right.

They are a bit lacking in the bass department but I run mine with 2 subs

heres an American link but even with shipping and customs they're still a good deal

http://www.theaudiovideosource.com/

Pat D
02-23-2007, 05:29 PM
ok guys, lets do this!

Budget: $400-$600 CDN aka monopoly money :lol: (approx. $325-$525 for you lazy americans)
style: bookshelf (save $50 for stand building materials), or floorstanding (no need for stands :P)
Music tastes: classic rock, hard rock, heavy rock (my madeup term for bands like pearl jam and such), rock, Jazz, Funk, Classical (piano, orchestral)
oh yes...a HUGE range there :P (they're listed in order of quantity listened to of each genre)

Right now I have my eyes on the new Paradigm Mini-Monitor V.5 ($400CDN from my local hifi shop that really loves me :P)

I will have $200 coming from the sale/trade in of my old Atoms, $200-$300 from my dad, and as much as I can afford to put in (we'll say about $100)

Any and all suggestions welcome, if you can, list possible audition places for the speakers in or near the Ottawa, ontario area if possible...

In your price range, I would tend to emphasize Canadian manufacturers as offering the best values, though of course, you many come across some British or US speakers, etc., that please you, too. Paradigm, as you mention, PSB, and API (Energy and Mirage), and Axiom (internet sales) are the best known. There is a list of Canadian audio manufacturers in an old thread compiled by Feanor: look at the second post.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=14164

Some of them, like Ethera, make fine speakers but are way out of your price range.

I would suggest you look at the Paradigm Monitor 3 or 5 as well as the Mini-Minitor. The Energy C-3 is quite a fine little speaker. I haven't heard the PSB Image Series but the B25 looks like a good bet for an audition.

Audio dealers in Ottawa. Well, I haven't visited Ottawa for a long time, but you can find some good dealers: here are a couple I've visited in the past.

http://www.audiocentre.ca/manufacturer.html

http://www.audioshop.on.ca/

Manufacturers usually have a dealer locator on their web sites.

icarus
02-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Well to sound like an old stereo type, there is the B&W 601 and 602's, which are carried by the audioshop, 685 bank street. According to the B&W suggested cdn reatil price guide the 601's are $325, and the 602's are $450. some others would be:

Acoustic Energy- Aelite one (approx 550)
Kef-iQ3 (approx 550)
Monitor Audio- Silver RS1 (approx 650)
Usher- S 520 ( approx 550)

audio_dude
02-23-2007, 06:14 PM
i've visited audioshop, and listened to the energy C-3, i HATE them... VERY bright a piercing... oh well...

anyone heard of mordant-short? i found another hifi shop on bank street that has the "Mordaunt-Short Carnival 6" floor stander for $495.00/pr...

or the Epos ELS for 499.00/pr

Wireworm5
02-23-2007, 06:52 PM
I haven't shopped for speakers in awhile, so maybe there's some new kids on the block. But for your stated budget I think the B&W DM 601 or 602 is the best speaker value. IMO the DM 601 is comparible to the Paradigm Studio 20's but has a narrower beam. However the 601 is bass shy so you may want the 602's for a more complete sound if you don't have a sub.
You still should audition these speakers though as I consider them a neutral speaker with sharp treble which you may not care for. They're easy to drive speakers so you won't have any problems powering them and still get very good sound.

blackraven
02-23-2007, 06:59 PM
B&W's, NHT's, Infinity Beta 20's in that price range. I'm not sure why more people don't recommend the Beta 20's. They have a very nice sound with decent bass and play very loud and clear. A local store sells them along with KEF's, Definitive's and Klipsch and there is no comparison. In every way the Beta's sound better. With that said, I prefer the B&W 601's, 602's and NHT's but they cost more.

I'd audition as many speaks as possibilbe and just buy what sounds good to you without worrying about the brand!

Carl Reid
02-23-2007, 07:38 PM
My top four speaker manufacturers in your price range:

1) Monitor Audio - Bronze Series and Maybe the Silver Series Bookshelf should be in your price range

2) PSB - The Alpha Line

3) Mission - M3 series (not sure if you can find them though)

4) Wharfedale - Diamond Series

None of these manufacturers produce "bright" speakers IMO.... and all are excellent value for the money....

Happy Hunting!

Dusty Chalk
02-23-2007, 08:34 PM
I normally try to go against the flow, but...PSB Alpha should be on your short list.

If you can find one, the Blueroom Minipod would be worth auditioning.

done to the tune of (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=areyUfCNFxY)

basite
02-24-2007, 02:23 AM
don't know anything about psb, so I can't comment on that, but

wharfedale diamond 9.4, maybe a 9.5 should fit right in your budget,
then, monitor audio.
my cousin just bought a pair of bronze br2's, which play very nice, but maybe you can get a br5 in you budget, or a Silver RS1.
a focal chorus 706 would fit nicely too...
an then B&W's, a pair of 602's might just fit, if not, the 601 is a good speaker too...

Good luck & have fun,
Bert.

PeruvianSkies
02-24-2007, 05:10 AM
I think you could probably get the PSB image line rather than their entry line, Alpha. Even with that budget you could swing getting the Image series and that would certainly be a better investment.

Dusty Chalk
02-24-2007, 05:53 AM
Oh, one more: Totem. I think the Mite is just within your range new.

KaiWinters
02-24-2007, 07:12 AM
Unfortunately Paradigm has done away with the Monitor 3 and 5 in their new v.5 lineup.
Maybe you can find a v.4 in stock...I have the 3's and love them.
The Mini v.5 retails for $379 per pair without a "favorite" customer discount. The v.5 Titan is the next speaker above the Mini and retails for $499...US prices.

http://www.audioemporium.com/2007catalog.pdf

JohnMichael
02-24-2007, 07:54 AM
On a whim I tried a speaker from an internet speaker company after becoming frustrated at the local dealers. The Ascend CBM 170 SE is an incredible speaker for $348 US. It is very neutral and not bloated in the bass. It looks like a speaker and not fine furniture. I was shopping in higher price ranges and this speaker compares with some more expensive speakers I was auditioning. They image well and have very good centerfill.

emorphien
02-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Oh, one more: Totem. I think the Mite is just within your range new.
Dreamcatcher might be as well.

Also Axiom M3Ti, maybe some flavor of PSB (the image B25 is fairly nice), Focal Chorus 705V or 706V.

audio_dude
02-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Yes, i know the minis are $379 US...
but $400 canadian is $345 US... i'm not an idiot.

I'm probably going to take a trip downtown to visit some of the hifi shops i've found online over the past week and look at what I can find.

i'm going to Planet of Sound http://www.planetofsoundonline.com/
then walking to the AudioShop http://audioshop.on.ca

Florian
02-24-2007, 11:05 AM
I had a Vision.....it showed a true ribbon driver with a added subwoofer....used around 500$ to 600$...........

basite
02-24-2007, 11:20 AM
yeah, actually, why not,

planars:
a new magnepan mmg, and then save on for a sub (unless you already have one)
or try used, i'm sure you can find alot of nice planar stuff out there...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Carl Reid
02-24-2007, 11:25 AM
The MMG is a nice idea but probably not possible. The MMG is near impossible to get easily in Canada... importing it new kills the price... and as soon as it gets on the used market up here, someone gobbles it up.... I tried getting one used last week and it totally fell through....

blackraven
02-24-2007, 11:59 AM
If you want a pair of MMG's you can find them used on audiogon or you could drive down to St. Paul Minnesota and pick them up direct from the factory.

You should listen to the NHT's classic two's or three's. They have very nice soud. The three's have nice deep mid bass with freq resp in the 40's

audio_dude
02-24-2007, 02:04 PM
I was thinking about planars for a bit, but right now, i think my budget and time says i'm going to have to get box speakers. (i'm going to try to find a pair of apogee Centaurs maybe next year)

My trip to the hifi stores will be ether tommorow or monday (got the day off)
I'll keep you guys posted.

Cheers,

blackraven
02-24-2007, 04:34 PM
There are several pair of Apogee's for sale on Audigon FYI

audio_dude
02-24-2007, 04:52 PM
i've looked at audiogon, but for now they are all out of my budget :P

now, back on topic!!!

drseid
02-25-2007, 02:18 AM
ok guys, lets do this!

Used Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 mini-monitors would be my first choice in your range (approx $450 US)... difficult to find though...

Used Von Schweikert VR-1s should be able to be had, and more available ($400-450 US used)...

Also a good choice would be a pair of used Spendor 3/5s (about $500 US used).

New, I would look at the Rega R1 mini-monitors at the top of your range (around $500 US)...

Good luck,

---Dave

jrhymeammo
02-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Dear Dude,

Sounds like an exciting time for you. New toys are always fun. I'm not afraid to take a chance on gears(including speakers) I havent auditioned. But if you have to live with your new pair for more than 5 years, then I would go audition them first. I guess that's another reason why I love bookshelfs. It's too easy to Agon a pair.

Maybe you can look for a pair like I'm currently doing. Look for a great pair of speakers with scratches, preferably on the sides. You can get a pair for about 70% off. OR, save another $200 bucks and wait. Get a Summer job, son!!!

My advice is to do what your parents did. GET A JOB, SIR!!!

If you save enough, you can easily get a $1500 pair of speakers. Wait and hear incredible difference. But you want them now...... I understand. Trust me, I understand.

audio_dude
02-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Dude, i'm turning 15 in a month and I've had a summer job 2 years in a row already! (I make more than those shmucks at McD's...

But i'm keeping the one i usually have and getting a regular job too this summer, so i may upgrade again, depends

GMichael
02-26-2007, 08:08 AM
Dude, i'm turning 15 in a month

You're making me look bad. :ciappa:

audio_dude
02-26-2007, 08:29 AM
You're making me look bad. :ciappa:

glad to help :lol:

basite
02-26-2007, 08:45 AM
you guys are allowed to do summer jobs from such a young age?

you lucky bastards... :cornut:

Here in belgium we have to be at least 16 for that :(

have you considered buying vintage stuff from ebay or Agon? like a vintage JBL (the good times) or advents (like me) or other vintage stuff??

Keep them spinning,
bert.

audio_dude
02-26-2007, 11:12 AM
yuck....i don't like vintage speakers :P (no offence)

weeeell... LEGALLY we can work at age 14... but most people won't hire you...

MY situation is special, my old neighbor runs a chip (french fries) stand and He offered me a summer job there working the cash and/or making poutine (if you've never tried it, PM me and i'll tell ya how to make it urself :P)

yeh, so i'm working under the table at 13 and 14, and probably this year too... but i'm going to get an actual job to go with that, so i should have enough money to upgrade to some nice used apogees by X-mas time...

blackraven
02-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Jeez, 15 and wanting to buy Apogee's. Do I smell another Flo in the making?
Flo, maybe you can give the kid some pointers!

basite
02-26-2007, 01:09 PM
this is definately even worse than flo...

but that isn't too bad isn't it??

Vintage speakers might not look good (i know, they're not like modern speakers on looks...) but if you have good ones, they will beat modern speakers costing way more...
but yes, they're not all beauties...
although I kinda like the look of my advents now... :)

Rock on,
Bert.

(Rock with a really big R :cornut:)

Dusty Chalk
02-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Well, if he starts saving now, then he'll be able to afford them by the time he's ready to retire. It's doable within his lifetime.

GMichael
02-26-2007, 01:22 PM
this is definately even worse than flo...

but that isn't too bad isn't it??

Vintage speakers might not look good (i know, they're not like modern speakers on looks...) but if you have good ones, they will beat modern speakers costing way more...
but yes, they're not all beauties...

Rock on,
Bert.

(Rock with a really big R :cornut:)

I refuse to be jealous, I refuse to be jealous, I refuse to be.... Oh screw it! I AM jealous! 15 year olds looking at Apogees? It's just not fair I tells ya!!!!

audio_dude
02-26-2007, 01:55 PM
well....Flo did get a hold of my MSN and I think by subliminal messaging he's converted me to planarism...

oh well, its cool... but one problem, i've STILL not heard a planar speaker in my life :lol:

he's THAT good.

I'm hoping another pair of Centaurs will come up for sale in Canada, then i'm gonna jump on 'em!

GMichael
02-26-2007, 02:05 PM
I got to hear a couple of Magi 3.6's a while back. Very nice. Very nice indeed. Flo used to have a pair of the 20.1's. He claims that the Apogees are better.

audio_dude
02-26-2007, 05:08 PM
the apogees ARE better (yeh, just wind coming from me... and probably the same from flo too...)

jrhymeammo
02-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Now that I dont go to college, I feel....."older".

Well, I would get a good amp before getting your hands on some Aps.
Get a pair of floorstanders and a couple of 250 watts monoblocks, then consider planars. But then again, I wanna get a 100watt tube integrated just to "play" with MMG.

Consider PSB. Not a big fan of Peru but he isnt retarded.
I would stay away from Paradigms, cuz you've alreay got to know their sound.

audio_dude
02-26-2007, 06:33 PM
LOL, but the new monitor line is a COMPLETLY different beast (i'm not kidding)

And (as flo says) I can run some apogee Centaurs off my current receiver.

After i get some centaurs, i'm going to buy a power amp and hook it into the preout on my receiver.

(and JR, how's the weather down in ol' lexington, kentucky?)

jrhymeammo
02-26-2007, 06:46 PM
And (as flo says) I can run some apogee Centaurs off my current receiver.

(and JR, how's the weather down in ol' lexington, kentucky?)

If that's possible then it sounds like fun. As for weather,

It's warm but white all around. LOL!!!!

Florian
02-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Oh what have i done :ihih:

Actaully, the Maggies are very nice speakers but they really are no competition to a big Apogee, they just are not. I personally had .5's, 1.6's and 2x 3.6's. My best friend ran 20.1's for a long time on very top notch electronics from Forsell, Goldmund and Conrad Johnson. He currently has Apogee DIVA's and Duettas.

But anyhow.... i think a small Apogee Centaur Minor would make a nice little speaker. Its a bigger true ribbon then a 20.1 ;-), its a hybrid and yes it has some drawbacks but he has a good starting age its a great choice. It runs of the Denon but will easily grow with the electronics to 5K or so.

A good lil speaker that can be found used and is easy to repair in case something does happen. Apogee also make "affordable" speakers :idea:

A Magnepan MMG is nice too but he has a small room and no real backwall so the dipole bass is a problem in there, besides the big Apogee's like the Caliper, Duetta and up are very expensive to repair and need a serious room and electronics to get the best out of them. Its just not affordable for most.

basite
02-27-2007, 07:46 AM
if you have a chance of buying those apogees, that would be great...

I too was thinking about planars once (and still am, actually) but they're kinda hard to place here (dipoles, of the maggie kind), but it should be possible...

anyways,
good luck finding those apogees dude, if you ever buy them, be sure to let us know :cornut:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Florian
02-27-2007, 07:50 AM
Hello Bert,

the small Apogee's are not planars. Quite a bit easier :idea:

basite
02-27-2007, 07:56 AM
ooh!! :ihih:

that makes it a whole lot easier...

Rock on,
Bert.

basite
02-27-2007, 09:28 AM
I refuse to be jealous, I refuse to be jealous, I refuse to be.... Oh screw it! I AM jealous! 15 year olds looking at Apogees? It's just not fair I tells ya!!!!

hey, I'm 16 (and a half) :cornut:

I don't see what's wrong with it, as a 7 year old kid you're looking at ferraris too... :ihih:
and now we're a little older, and are able to make some money :cornut:

Rock on,
Bert.

GMichael
02-27-2007, 09:53 AM
hey, I'm 16 (and a half) :cornut:

I don't see what's wrong with it, as a 7 year old kid you're looking at ferraris too... :ihih:
and now we're a little older, and are able to make some money :cornut:

Rock on,
Bert.

There's nothing wrong with it at all. There are far worse things that a 16 (and 1/2) year old could be getting into. I remember when I was 16. I was into, uh, well, uh, you just never mind. But if I had it to do over again, I'd have focused more on school.

audio_dude
02-27-2007, 02:53 PM
I remember when I was 16. I was into, uh, well, uh, you just never mind. But if I had it to do over again, I'd have focused more on school.

yeahh, you gotta watch out for those girl types... all hassle and lots of money...

(unless you're refering to the MAGS... then thats just... go into the corner and hide your shame :lol:)

audio_dude
02-28-2007, 05:23 PM
ok, well this thread is going nowhere fast...

Now, can we get back to the duscussion at hand?

Speakers, bookshelf or floorstanders for about $400-$600 CANADIAN

E-Stat
02-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Don't underestimate what Advents can do. A very inexpensive, yet beneficial improvement can be found by updating the crossover caps. That is if you have basic soldering skills. Minimize tweeter diffraction by putting a foam ring around the tweeters. Then double them. The tweeters benefit from mutual coupling to provide a slightly more natural midrange and image size is improved with a double pair (inverting the uppers). Harry Pearson of The Absolute Sound reported about the double Advents back in 1973. Last year, he heard my double pair of New Advents (circa '77) and his original opinion had not changed much. They remain faithful reproducers of music.

Although there is some good news and bad news. Some amps double their power into the lower impedance load of doubles. On the other hand, be careful with other amps because they aren't happy that the nominal impedance drops to 4 ohms and falls to a minimum around 2.6.

I get great results with a Pioneer PD-54 stable platter transport, Manley DAC with tube output stage directly into a Threshold Stasis 3 amp using JPS Labs cables and 14 gauge Philips speaker wire. I find it amazing how little clean power double Advents require. I get good levels at 4 watts output using a 400 watt amp.

rw

audio_dude
03-01-2007, 10:39 AM
thanks for that, but right now i'm considering waiting 'til after summer to buy some speakers, because that will probably bring my budget to around $800-$1000

blackraven
03-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Good idea, better to wait and get what you really want.

audio_dude
03-02-2007, 06:52 AM
Yeah, i think thats what i'm going to do...

any suggestions for good speakers that go for around $700 used?

jrhymeammo
03-02-2007, 06:39 PM
How about saving a bit more and getting a used pair of Von Schw.....
VR-2? They dont looks as cool as others, but I considered them for a little while. Maybe someone here can tell you about their sound.

audio_dude
03-02-2007, 07:04 PM
maybe...maybe... but, you guys do still realize i have a budget, eh?

blackraven
03-02-2007, 07:36 PM
MG 12's

PeruvianSkies
03-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Canadian speakers...hmm PSB you can check out DMC-electronics prices...your range you are looking at the Image line or perhaps the Stratus line used. Can't go wrong!

audio_dude
03-03-2007, 07:55 AM
flo was talking about the MG12's before, depends on what i can find, but for the MG12's i'd have to probably get new electronics first.

I'll have to check out PSB too.

blackraven
03-03-2007, 02:07 PM
95 wpc from a good high current receiver would do just fine. My local HiFi store has them hooked up to a 100wpc NAD and they sound great. You just want to make sure you have large gauge speaker wire because it really does make a difference with Maggies. Poor wires will clip or shut down your amp in no time at moderate to high volume with these speakers unless you have a high quality high powered amp. And they your wires will heat up and burn the insulation. Trust me on this because I've seen it personally with some one using zip cord with maggies.

audio_dude
03-03-2007, 08:18 PM
thanks blackraven!

Yes, well, right now i'm using a heavy duty extension cord with the ends lopped of and cut in 2, bare wire to the speakers... its all copper, and i think its like 14guage or so.

Carl Reid
03-03-2007, 10:38 PM
thanks for that, but right now i'm considering waiting 'til after summer to buy some speakers, because that will probably bring my budget to around $800-$1000

That's a really good move.

In that price range, apart from checking out maggies... I'd strongly suggest looking for a pair of Monitor Audio RS6s or even RS5s... I finally got what all the hype was about with the Silver series today... when I compared the RS8s directly against my favourite speakers the Monitor Audio Gold GS20s... once I started listening with my ears instead of my eyes, I was seriously impressed with the performance of the Silver Series...

Anyway, take your time and listen to as many different speakers as you can before purchasing...

Good Hunting...

audio_dude
03-04-2007, 10:17 AM
i will, and the summer will give me plenty of time to go around and audition things

Feanor
03-04-2007, 11:43 AM
ok guys, lets do this!

Dude, I'm late into this discussion, but I happen to notice an Audiogon ad that I think is worth mentioning. Let me start by saying that if you want to get into the better equipment, you have to expect to buy used; a lesson I learned late myself, I must admit.

The older model Studio 20 V.2 will certainly beat any Atom by a wide margin, and is probably better than ever latest Mini-Monitor too.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1178093771

Carl Reid
03-04-2007, 01:04 PM
ok guys, lets do this!

How did this thread reach to Page 3 without one of us asking one of the most fundamental questions:

What size room are you plannning to use these speakers in????

Since, you're a teen I'm assuming (could be wrong though) that you will be setting up this system in your bedroom. So unless you have a really large master bedroom, some of the floorstanding speaker options we've been suggesting may be totally impractical.

audio_dude
03-04-2007, 06:00 PM
haha! well, my room is 10x11, but i've got the design really worked out so I will have an approx. 6x11 area to listen in, with the bed and furniture being off to the side. I can bring the speakers out from the wall (so planars are feasable)

I've been thinking about looking for a used pair of apogee Centaurs for you guys out there who are new to the thread. Maybe some von schweikert VR-2's? since i'm waiting 'till after summer, i'd probably be able to increase my budget to about $800-$1000 US

Carl Reid
03-04-2007, 06:39 PM
haha! well, my room is 10x11, but i've got the design really worked out so I will have an approx. 6x11 area to listen in, with the bed and furniture being off to the side. I can bring the speakers out from the wall (so planars are feasable)

I currently have a similiar sized listening room and have been reluctant to take the plunge into planars for fear of side wall interactions. Pulling the speakers out from the walls 2-3 feet isn't difficult, but from what I've heard (guys like Flo need to jump in and correct me on this, if I'm wrong) Planars need a lot of space from the side walls as well...

So let's assume you get a pair of MG12s... which are 17 inches wide... so approximately 1.5 feet wide.... they should be at least 6 feet apart... plus 3 feet (1.5 per speaker)....that means that 9 of about 10/11 feet of room width is taken up... leaving clearance between the speakers and the side walls of only 6 inches to 1ft each....

@ Flo/any other Planar owner: Is 6 - 12 inches enough sidewall clearance for a planar?

Feanor
03-04-2007, 07:25 PM
I currently have a similiar sized listening room and have been reluctant to take the plunge into planars for fear of side wall interactions. Pulling the speakers out from the walls 2-3 feet isn't difficult, but from what I've heard (guys like Flo need to jump in and correct me on this, if I'm wrong) Planars need a lot of space from the side walls as well...

@ Flo/any other Planar owner: Is 6 - 12 inches enough sidewall clearance for a planar?

The MMGs or MG12s are quasi-ribbons and rather directional, therefore a foot from the side wall is possible though not ideal. The wall behind the speakers is the bigger problem: 2 feet is possible with some wall treatment to reduce the relection of the back wave. Also, the listener is going to be pretty close to the rear wall, and some wall treatmentvis likely going to be necessary there too regardless of whether the speakers are planar or not.

I trick I've used is deflectors behind the planar speakers. I made some out of ceiling tile, (which is cheap). They were angled about 45 degree with respect to the speaker panel and ldeflect rear wave from returning back through the speaker itself which would cause the unpleasant effects. I do recommend this approach when the planars must be place close than 3 feet from the wall; the sound is resolved and the imaging precise.

audio_dude
03-04-2007, 07:45 PM
thanks for the suggestions, but another thing... the design of my room is wierd... the way i want to lay it out, there would be about 7 or 8 feet width availible for speaker placement... but on the left side where the speakers would be is a doorway, 2 feet deep, three feet wide.
and on the other side there would be a dresser, but still 4 feet to the wall from the dresser.

audio_dude
03-04-2007, 07:45 PM
oh, one more thing... my thread has managed to get mroe reply's than all of those SVI threads!!! w00!

basite
03-05-2007, 07:14 AM
congrats on the number of posts in this thread!

could you make a quick drawing of your room (seen from above)? So we can have a visual interpretation of your room.

and you should definately check out monitor audio too!

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

blackraven
03-05-2007, 07:56 AM
If you place the maggies too close to the side walls the bass is accentuated and can become boomy. Placing some fabric or tapestries on the side walls would help this. Idealy the speakers should be placed 6' apart but you really have to move them around to see what sounds best.

JohnMichael
03-05-2007, 08:17 AM
oh, one more thing... my thread has managed to get mroe reply's than all of those SVI threads!!! w00!

and you seem to be listening to the advice.

audio_dude
03-05-2007, 02:54 PM
and you seem to be listening to the advice.

thank god no one started to compare me to him, if someone did, i'd have to shoot myself...

PS. I use an online program to design my room layout, so i'll print off a copy and scan it in and post it here ASAP

audio_dude
03-05-2007, 03:53 PM
here is my room layout (its not like this now, but will be when i get new speakers.)

Any suggestions will be taken into appreciation.
http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/6734/roomdesignvj0.th.jpg (http://img164.imageshack.us/my.php?image=roomdesignvj0.jpg)

basite
03-06-2007, 12:17 PM
I've got a similar 'problem' it's called 'bed'
they are huge (well yeah, pretty big) and you can't just move them somewhere else.

the way you are planning to set it up now, is good for in your room.
But do you think your speakers can be placed further apart? maybe that could improve the sound too...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Carl Reid
03-06-2007, 01:51 PM
here is my room layout (its not like this now, but will be when i get new speakers.)

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/6734/roomdesignvj0.th.jpg (http://img164.imageshack.us/my.php?image=roomdesignvj0.jpg)

Have you considered turning the bed sideways, getting rid of the chair and using the bed as seating for listening to your music.... That's how I had my original audio setup when I was a teen... found it saved a lot of space since the bed became a 'useful' part of the audio enviroment....

audio_dude
03-06-2007, 01:59 PM
carl... one problem... i need the desk, and the chair to go with it :P

audio_dude
03-07-2007, 06:46 PM
any other suggestions? for you new comers go back to page three near the bottom to see my new room layout and make suggestions on it, or speakers to go in it

Thanks!

GMichael
03-08-2007, 06:10 AM

But I don't see a cottonwood tree or a kitty box.

???

audio_dude
03-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Gmicheal... did you just compare my room to spanky's?...

do that again and i'll kill you... then myself...

bobsticks
03-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Hey G, don't forget the boy band posters on the door and walls...:ihih:

Seriously, Rob, it's too bad that those Studio v.2s sold. I think Feanor was on to something. IMHO, you'll be better served in that room by a good set of bookshelves. I tried putting floorstanders in my office, which is not much bigger, and the experience was horrible. Muddy bass up the wazoo...Good luck with the search.

Carl Reid
03-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Hey G, don't forget the boy band posters on the door and walls...:ihih:

Seriously, Rob, it's too bad that those Studio v.2s sold. I think Feanor was on to something. IMHO, you'll be better served in that room by a good set of bookshelves. I tried putting floorstanders in my office, which is not much bigger, and the experience was horrible. Muddy bass up the wazoo...Good luck with the search.

He can get floorstanders in a room that size without muddy bass... I've done it before...

Just don't get anything with more low end extension than dual 6.5 inch woofers and you should be fine...

GMichael
03-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Gmicheal... did you just compare my room to spanky's?...

do that again and i'll kill you... then myself...

OK, but only if you kill yourself first. I'll go second.

audio_dude
03-09-2007, 07:03 PM
OK, but only if you kill yourself first. I'll go second.

ok gmichael, deal...

but seriously, what about a front ported floorstander such as a used pair of Von Schweikert VR-2's?

basite
03-10-2007, 03:30 AM
My room is just a little bit bigger as yours, and I have 2 12" woofers in it...

I think that when you set floorstanders up correctly, that you shouldn't have any problems with them in you room...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Feanor
03-10-2007, 03:49 AM
ok gmichael, deal...

but seriously, what about a front ported floorstander such as a used pair of Von Schweikert VR-2's?

Let me know when you find a pair of Von Schweikert VR-2's for $600; if you don't buy them, I might.

Mind you, the pair I heard were a little boomy in the bass -- and that was in a room about 20' x 90'. Also, you'll need to turn off the rear-firing speaker if their only a few inches from the wall.

audio_dude
03-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Feanor: If I want to get VR-2's, thats cause i decided i'm waiting 'till after summer to buy them so I can increase my budget to around $1000

i'm looking for those, or a pair of apogee centaurs.

audio_dude
03-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Out of these three, which would you recommend for my room and amp:

Von Schweikert VR-2
Apogee Centaur
Magnepan MG12

audio_dude
03-15-2007, 01:45 PM
oh well, i guess this thread has had it... i'll put it to bed now. (and i'll revive it in 3 or 4 months when i've got my $1000!!!) :lol: