Michell Gyrodec Servicing [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Michell Gyrodec Servicing

Yasvanth
02-22-2007, 12:13 AM
Hi

I bought my Michell Gyrodec record deck in 1999 and so far I have not replaced the old oil in the brass bearing compartment. I did try to unscrew the small flat round plate that sits on the top of the platter just at the base of the spindle by hand but it was just too tight to remove. So has anybody got any suggestions on how I can do this?

I would be very grateful.
Yas

Resident Loser
02-22-2007, 07:41 AM
Hi

I bought my Michell Gyrodec record deck in 1999 and so far I have not replaced the old oil in the brass bearing compartment. I did try to unscrew the small flat round plate that sits on the top of the platter just at the base of the spindle by hand but it was just too tight to remove. So has anybody got any suggestions on how I can do this?

I would be very grateful.
Yas

...is that something the mfr. advises?

The Michell website leaves a lot to be desired IMO, no FAQs or manual downloads etc. however, I get the impression (despite the paucity of info available) that this self-pumping, oil-bathed, inverted bearing they speak of actually has little to do with the platter itself, having more to do with the sub-chassis...Supposedly it uses a synthetic oil, which in autos, provides greater longevity and better heat dissipation...I would think the relatively low speeds of a TT would present no problem in this regard...as the site says "year after year" of service.

Since they seem to have many retrofit options, I suppose an oil change may be a DIY sort of thing. You would be best advised to use the same oil that was installed by the OEM, as types and weights of oils comingling can actually cause problems by reducing the lubricants' efficacy...

You may be able to remove the drive belt and simply lift the platter to reveal the bearing assembly, although I would use caution as they also mention a "thrust ball" whose location is unclear to me...

jimHJJ(...unless the owners manual gives specifics, I'd give 'em a call...)

Yasvanth
02-22-2007, 07:54 AM
Hi

I did first remove the belt and tried to lift the platter but it just did not budge.
If you or anybody else who also owns a Michell Gyrodec and knows how to unscrew that tiny plate which is about the size of ten pence piece.
As i am keen to replace the old oil with new oil.
Then I'm all open to suggestions.

Yas

Resident Loser
02-22-2007, 08:53 AM
Hi

I did first remove the belt and tried to lift the platter but it just did not budge.
If you or anybody else who also owns a Michell Gyrodec and knows how to unscrew that tiny plate which is about the size of ten pence piece.

Yas

...if you're that keen, I'd suggest you do a Google on the subject...I did...According to the info available it's a knurled platter nut...the operative word knurled...designed to be hand tightened...Seems as though Mobil One 0W-40 is a viable alternative to the 8cc, $15USD vial available fron the mfr.

Didn't you do the set-up yourself? Or like this thread, did you have someone else do the work for you?

jimHJJ(...but don't take my word for it...)

JohnMichael
02-22-2007, 09:33 AM
I am sure one of the members who own or have owned a Michell turntable will be helpful. Here is a link for the bearing oil.

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AMICBEARINGOIL

Yasvanth
02-22-2007, 11:30 AM
...if you're that keen, I'd suggest you do a Google on the subject...I did...According to the info available it's a knurled platter nut...the operative word knurled...designed to be hand tightened...Seems as though Mobil One 0W-40 is a viable alternative to the 8cc, $15USD vial available fron the mfr.

Didn't you do the set-up yourself? Or like this thread, did you have someone else do the work for you?

jimHJJ(...but don't take my word for it...)

Hello

No my Hifi dealer set up the Michell Gyrodec at my house and since then it has never been serviced except I did replace the rubble belt as the old one was beginning to perish.
I'll try on Google .
Thanks anyway.

Yas

Resident Loser
02-22-2007, 11:41 AM
...I am sure one of the members who own or have owned a Michell turntable will be helpful...

...inference being that my responses were not? You would think I advised him to get a pair of Vise-grips and a bottle of J&J Baby Oil...

Do you think my response in post #2 was somehow an imprudent course of action?

Do you think the presentation of the information (or lack thereof) as revealed as result of my investigation of the Michell site was less than factual?

Do you think my caveat re: mixing lubricants or advising that care be taken with the potential for loss of the ball bearing was somehow un-helpful?

You are obviously ignorant (as was I at the time) of the fact that while I was researching the OPs dilemma, he was responding to my response in another thread re: his opinion being the only one that really mattered in all things audio...with what I consider a real snot-ball reply...

So the less than gung-ho attitude in my further response within this thread is quite warranted, yet still quite helpful and factual...A simple Google on the subject will cite a few responses at the Vinyl Engine site which will link to at least two angelfire citations giving a complete breakdown of the assembly procedure, bearing upgrade and lubricant substitution for the TT in question...certainly better than can be presented here...

Actually he's quite lucky he's gotten what he has...The OP is a big boy and really doesn't need to have things served up on a silver platter...

jimHJJ(...particularly in light of his prior attitude...)

JohnMichael
02-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Sorry Jim but it is not all about you. I know some members have Michell tables and thought they might be of help. I was recently ordering a new belt and stylus and happened upon the oil so I thought I would pass the info along. I was responding to Yasvanth and not to you.

Resident Loser
02-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Hello

No my Hifi dealer set up the Michell Gyrodec at my house and since then it has never been serviced except I did replace the rubble belt as the old one was beginning to perish.
I'll try on Google .
Thanks anyway.

Yas

...the salient search parameters: Michell Gyrodec oil change and you will eventually arrive at this link:

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=40&sid=359ca88a9e038431958d40bbfe87bbd9

While there may be small idiosyncrasies, most TTs and their mechanical requirements are relativly similar...owning a particular unit may not be required for competent and helpful advice to be given...

jimHJJ(...good luck...)

JohnMichael
02-22-2007, 12:05 PM
...the salient search parameters: Michell Gyrodec oil change and you will eventually arrive at this link:

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=40&sid=359ca88a9e038431958d40bbfe87bbd9

While there may be small idiosyncrasies, most TTs and their mechanical requirements are relativly similar...owning a particular unit may not be required for competent and helpful advice to be given...

jimHJJ(...good luck...)

Nice link Jim, good job.

Resident Loser
02-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Sorry Jim but it is not all about you.

I know some members have Michell tables and thought they might be of help. I was recently ordering a new belt and stylus and happened upon the oil so I thought I would pass the info along. I was responding to Yasvanth and not to you.

...that it was...but I haven't seen flocks of responses to this thread...in fact ZERO...

...If you or anybody else who also owns a Michell Gyrodec and knows how to unscrew that tiny plate which is about the size of ten pence piece.

Oil wouldn't seem to be the problem...

jimHJJ(...but that's just me...)

Yasvanth
02-26-2007, 08:03 AM
Hi

Can somebody who also owns a Michell Gyrodec, tell me why whenever I switch on the motor to listen to a record the motor is making a funny noise? I have had my deck since new and it is about 7 years old and this noise has only popped up recently.

Also is there anything I can do rectify this problem instead of taking it to my dealer?

Thanks
Yas

Resident Loser
02-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Hi

Can somebody who also owns a Michell Gyrodec, tell me why whenever I switch on the motor to listen to a record the motor is making a funny noise? I have had my deck since new and it is about 7 years old and this noise has only popped up recently.

Also is there anything I can do rectify this problem instead of taking it to my dealer?

Thanks
Yas

...I realize fully that I'll wind up regretting this, no matter how special you may consider your TT, pretty much ALL TTs can be reduced to three component parts: the motor, the platter, the tone-arm...

What sort of noise is coming from the motor? Is it a hum? a chuffing noise? High pitch? Low pitch? Of regular frequency? Can you characterize it?...If, in fact, you have sectionalized your probelm by disconnecting the drive belt and absolutely eliminated the platter/bearing/drive belt and yes, tone-arm, any number of things can go wrong with any motor of any sort...Bearings, armature de-lamination, loose screws, failing isolation mountings, bad brushes (if there are any), internal dirt and dust whirring about, even other loose parts of the TT base that may be exhibiting sympathetic vibrations either at the motor's RPM...OR...line frequency of 50/60 Hz (depending on your mains)...

All it take is some common sense and minimal mechanical aptitude to narrow things down...

With the motor isolated (drive belt disconnected) feel it? Does the noise stop when you hold the motor? Is the vibe regular or is their something out of the ordinary that matches the frequency/rhythm of the noise? Using your hands, deaden the rest of the base at various points, does the noise disappear? Leveling feet loose? It's a process of elimination starting with the bleedin' obvious...

Since we can't do these things, it's up to you and if you can't make a qualified determination, then your dealer's service department is your only recourse...

jimHJJ(...unless they have some sort of service bulletin from the mfr., they'll probably pretty much start out doing what I told you to do, but on a cost/hr. basis...)

Chas Underhay
02-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Hi Yasvanth, you need to remove the belt and lift the whole platter dead square, slowly and gently. You may also need to get some one else to hold the chassis down but be sure to put equal pressure on both sides when you lift, it will come off.

I used to get a small ammount of noise from my motor (PAPST in the old type casing mounted drectly onto the base board), most noticable when the lid was closed. It never seemed to be transmitted into the music though. I changed the motor and housing a few years ago to the current outboard DC type and never thought it made that much difference to the overall sound. My gyro dec is the ancient one with the aluminium platter so it may have been that the platter was so heavy that the supposed differences between AC and DC motors had less impact than with the lighter acrylic platter.

Yasvanth
02-27-2007, 05:50 AM
Hi Chas,

My Michell Gyrodec was purchased in 1999 and it has and AC motor. I'm not sure whether it is an MK V or MK IV anyway . I removed the belt and just let the motor revolve on its own and the whirring noise is definately coming from the motor and not from the main bearing as I first thought it was.
I am using my Gyrodec with a QC power supply as well. Is there anything I can do to the motor eg maybe apply a small amout of oil to make it run more quieter and smoother?

Your advice will be great.

Yas

Resident Loser
02-27-2007, 08:30 AM
...he should toddle on over with his pin-point oiler and do it for you...

Did you ever visit the link to Vinyl Engine that I provided above?...There are many Q&As there...even some re: noisy motors and QC power supplies...Perhaps some of it may apply.

But no, we wouldn't want to put ourselves out too much...

jimHJJ(...now would we?...)

Yasvanth
03-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Hello Resident Loser,

Thanks for your advice. The Vinyl Engine was very useful. But I'll prefer to personally take my Michell Gyrodec to Michell Engineering and let them check it and they will also service and give me the advice that I need.

All the best

Yas:hand:

Chas Underhay
03-14-2007, 07:07 AM
Hi Yasvanth

If you are located here in the UK that is your best bet. I found the guys at the factory very helpful when they did mine and they won't try to get you to spend money unnecessarilly. (unlike most dealers)

One very worthwhile mod they did to mine was to fit the Orb threaded spindle and screw down clamp. It's so much better and more positive than the normal collet type gyrodec clamp, I can't understand why it isn't fitted as standard.

Best of luck