MIT has bad connectors [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : MIT has bad connectors

texlle
02-20-2007, 01:34 PM
I have a set of MITerminator 4 speaker cables that I've had for over 5 years. A couple weeks ago I turn on my stereo and the left side is dead. So I jiggle the left cable and the connection is in and out. My friend who has their previous generation MIT 4's (thinner/longer boxes on the cables) had the same issue. He had to cut the gold connectors off, leaving the bare wires to be connected and the issue was resolved. I did the same and it has worked great ever since.

My question: Is there anyone here who has MIT speaker cables who has experienced the same problem in the past?

These were $120 cables that I got on AA.com for $60 back in 2001 so I expected decent quality, apparently I was wrong. Otherwise, they still perform as good as they always did.

Btw, I can't believe I've been here 5 years to the day. :)

royphil345
02-20-2007, 02:25 PM
I have seen MIT with crimped connectors. Knew it was only a matter of time on those...

If they were soldered, they may have just needed cleaning / deoxidizing. Maybe the speaker terminals too. Just about any connector would after 5 years. Bare wires will require more frequent maintenance.

texlle
02-20-2007, 02:58 PM
They are soldered. I cleaned then with an alcohol swab. Nothing.