the long awaited speakerstands... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : the long awaited speakerstands...

basite
02-20-2007, 05:13 AM
Well, it took alot of time, but they're finally finished :cornut:
my DIY speakerstands!!!

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/speakerstands1.jpg

the advents look taller now...
http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/speakerstand2.jpg

Here's how 4 layers of high gloss paint looks llike
http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/closeup.jpg

they're a little taller than original, (they were going to be 25cm high, they ended up being 37.2 cm high...)
they wheigh reasonably much, 7.8 kgs, not filled, we're still looking for sand, they will wheigh about 10 kg filled with sand...

they're in high gloss black, and I think they look pretty good :cornut:

sound has definately improved, will do a more detailed review later,

thanks for all the hints and tips guys!!

ooh, and more good news, I also ordered my cd player, which became a Marantz CD5001 OSE :cornut:
and I already bought myself a set of Kimber PJB cables...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Bernd
02-20-2007, 07:47 AM
Fantastic news. Well done. But do try and fill them. If you use sand make sure that it is kiln dried. Otherwise your wood will start to rot from the moisture. A better filling material is lead shot.
Your set up looks good now. Should sound great. Well done.

Peace

Bernd:16:

JohnMichael
02-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Your stands look very nice. Good job. I know you will like the Marantz CD5001 and will look forward to your comments on it. I reside in the budget world of audio and it is nice that there are truly good quality budget components available.

basite
02-20-2007, 01:15 PM
somekind of a review:

After finetuning the placement, and playing alot of vinyl, here is the current review, when I get my new cd player, I will review some more, with cd's,
this day however, was vinyl only :cornut:

this setup is definately more revealing than all the previous ones, which I think is good, because good recordings will actually sound like good recordings...

the sound is more balanced, the highs have definately improved because of the difference in height, this difference also made the whole sound become more open, wider, and more detailed, the lows have definately improved the most of them all, it's really detailed, and against all my expectations: there is enough of it, it's not too less, not too much, and the 'oomp' in the upper bass has left too :ihih:
and because the highs and the lows are improved, the mids came with them too! because the more stable way of standing, and because of more detailed bass, the mids became more audible, and more detailed too, for some reason...

the stands made this speakers transform (in the good way of course :) ), they showed how good the Advents actually are...
I can't do reviews with cd's yet, because cd playback on my pc sucks, but this is going to change when the marantz arrives :ihih:

Rock on!
Bert.

jrhymeammo
02-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Damn, looking sweeeeeeet!!!

Nice glossy finish, I seriously love it.

Are you still sitting on a cushion, buddah style? How high are tweeters from your ears?

Not very suprised to hear that sound has improved for you. Giving drivers more room can be a great thing.

Congrats

basite
02-21-2007, 02:09 AM
Damn, looking sweeeeeeet!!!

Nice glossy finish, I seriously love it.

Are you still sitting on a cushion, buddah style? How high are tweeters from your ears?

Not very suprised to hear that sound has improved for you. Giving drivers more room can be a great thing.

Congrats

thanks,
and, I get to sit on a chair now!! my office chair was just right when set to the lowest, so that's also good,

the tweeters are almost on ear level, my ears are like 2 maybe 3 cm above the tweeters, I like it this way though...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

basite
02-21-2007, 06:58 AM
*burns his cheap monster cable*

I replaced the cheap monster cable that connected the pro-ject phonobox 2 to my amp, by my new bought Kimber PBJ cable, to let it break in a little, and I must say that this was quite an improvement...

might buy myself a QED qunex2 tomorrow to replace the monster for good... :cornut:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Bernd
02-21-2007, 08:21 AM
*burns his cheap monster cable*

I replaced the cheap monster cable that connected the pro-ject phonobox 2 to my amp, by my new bought Kimber PBJ cable, to let it break in a little, and I must say that this was quite an improvement...

might buy myself a QED qunex2 tomorrow to replace the monster for good... :cornut:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Good show Bert,

A little tip. I would stay clear of the QED cables. I don't know anybody who likes them.I found them to mask a lot of detail and very one dimensional sounding. I tried their Silver Spiral (top of QEDs tree) some years back, and it was not good. Big and bloated. Total lack of refinement. Stick with Kimber, Audioquest or something of that quality. You will enjoy it more in the long run.

Peace and keep'm spinning

Bernd:16:

Dusty Chalk
02-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Just to offer a counterpoint -- I really like them. Not sure exactly which ones I was listening to, but it compared well to my Cardas Neutral References, and at a fraction of the price. And I don't even have my 8TC's any more.

basite
02-21-2007, 10:41 AM
how do the audioquest cables sound?
the audioquest sidewinder looks interesting...

Rock on,
Bert.

Bernd
02-22-2007, 02:59 AM
Hi Bert,

Two people (Dusty and myself) and you get two different preferences. That is the bottom line with cables. You need to try them in your system. Best would be to try and borrow some over a couple of days from a dealer and see how you get on.
In very general terms I find Audioquest really musical and suitable in many systems. Kimber is ever so slightly warmer sounding.
I like Cardas the best, but that is in my system and with my musical preferences.
Remember, that cables can't add anything to your system. Trying out things like that is half the fun.
Good luck

Peace

Bernd:7:

PeruvianSkies
02-23-2007, 12:27 AM
I agree..."cables do not add" to a system, rather than can only positively or negatively effect what is already there. If more and more people would realize this there would be a lot less debate back and forth over whether or not cables make a difference.

Dusty Chalk
02-23-2007, 06:30 AM
I don't think it would help -- some people just argue. They'll take any excuse to get up on their podium and lecture.

noddin0ff
02-24-2007, 06:21 AM
I agree..."cables do not add" to a system, rather than can only positively or negatively effect what is already there. If more and more people would realize this there would be a lot less debate back and forth over whether or not cables make a difference.
how can you positively effect something with out 'adding' to the system?

emorphien
02-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Cables can either transmit the signal, or introduce varying degrees of distortion. I'd agree that in most cases most decent cables are of no major concern in this matter and that most of the distortion people think they're clearing up with overpriced cables is inaudible anyway, if the cable is even improving on anything in the first place (most times it isn't, but good marketing takes care of that problem).

jrhymeammo
02-26-2007, 06:41 PM
It's just about finding the right sound in your system.

Hey Bert, I hope PBJ will work out for you. It was perfect from my VTL phono, but thin and boring for my my Marantz. But that was in Denver... Different room requires different gears or arrangement. Take your time and enjoy. Great thing about you is that you are never in too much rush to change your gears. Got more patience than more of us here, regardless of income. Enjoy the tunes.

JRA

PeruvianSkies
02-28-2007, 12:11 AM

Cables do NOT add to a system, is my point, they can either transmit the signal accurately or inaccurately, which I am sure you can figure out which one is positive and which one is a negative.

bobsticks
03-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Nice look Bert, very classy and well done. The effort you put into these shows. I have no doubt that the stands add a great deal of life to the sound...
...and I'm not touchin' the cable thing for all the tea in China.

basite
03-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Hi gang,

I'm posting a little less because I'm on audiokarma now too :) I won't leave here though.

anyways.
updates:
the stands are now filled, no... not with sand, totally unexpected came 2 large, very very heavy metal tubes (my dad brought them from his work) and they fit perfectly, they must be attached somehow, I'm thinking of a small layer of sand on the bottom to keep them more stable (well, they already are stable, they can't really move in the stands.
and due to their weight, moving the stands was made more difficult too... these things must weigh about 50-60 kg or so :cornut:
anyways, it did tighten the bass, and I'm now using dad's sub for a couple of days, I'm actually starting to think to buy myself one...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.