AVR receivers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : AVR receivers

Sound5
02-19-2007, 11:07 PM
Looking to create a home theater system with Paradigm Studio 40 and 20 speakers. Not sure which AVR receiver to buy and will spend about $1000 that produces excellent CD music and Home Theater sound. So many AVR to compare including Denon 2807, Onkyo SR674, Yamaha RX-V1700, … Looking for the best sound quality. Had a Denon AVR (AVR2802), not happy with it.

edtyct
02-20-2007, 05:53 AM
You ought to check out the Rotel and Arcam reviewers. Both options exceed your $1000 limit by at least $500, unless you find one of them used, and neither receives much discount with dealers. Although you won't find new ones for sale on the web, the Audiogon and Videogon listings sometimes turn up a few (Rotel RSX-1056 or 1057; Arcam AVR-250 or 300); they tend to go fast.

N. Abstentia
02-20-2007, 06:20 AM
I would actually agree. Those speakers deserve better than the run of the mill Denon/Yamaha stuff (I also am not a Denon fan). It's definitely worth it to take it to the next level and look into Arcam and Rotel, maybe NAD also. And I hate to stretch the budget even more, but for just a pinch more you can actually get seperates! The Outlaw 990 pre/pro is $1100 by itself though, and by the time you add an amp it might be way over budget...but seperates are worth it :)

GMichael
02-20-2007, 07:24 AM
Another option is to pick up a cheaper receiver (with pre-outs) and then a used amp from Ebay, Audiogon or Videogon. You could get a pre-pro at a later date when you have more $.

Edit: Most amps will last for many years or decades. When your budget grows, you could add the latest pre-pro with whatever the new bells and whistles are coming out with them.
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you have more than one TV. Once you upgrade to the new pre-pro, the cheaper receiver you get now could be put to work in another room with cheaper speakers.

bubbagump
02-20-2007, 02:52 PM
You're not going to get respect from much of the audiophile community but check out the panasonic line of avr receivers with digital amplification. I was skeptical but after having lived with one for a few months now, I have to say I'm impressed. Very clean sound, capable of driving 4 ohm speakers and highly configurable. I also have a Yamaha dsp-a3090 with external Marantz monoblocs but it didn't do hdmi or component switching. I bought the panasonic SA-XR70 based on reviews and haven't looked back. At about 1/5th the cost of my center channel speaker alone, it seems a little out of place among my other gear but this is testimony to how far affordable receivers have come in the last few years.

RoyY51
02-20-2007, 04:36 PM
You might consider the Nad T763. I've had this unit for a year now and I'm loving it more each day. You can buy it online from DMC Electronics for $949.00, factory refurbished.

Happy Hunting!

P.S...David (the owner) is willing to bargain if it is a cash transaction.

jrhymeammo
02-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Yeah, look for idiots on Agon. I sold my Rotel RSX-972 for less than $400, I think. I chose that receiver over Denon 4803 and 3803 about....6 years ago? Can't tell ya, I used to get beyond wasted back then.

If Agon is not for you, check out Videogon. Pretty good deals there, and not many people check it out.