Pink Vertical bars on LCD TV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pink Vertical bars on LCD TV

Luvin Da Blues
02-19-2007, 04:54 AM
Good Day gents,

I have my Motorola digital cable box hooked up to my Denon 2807 with component cables and the Denon is hooked up to my 46" LCD with a HDMI cable.

Now sometime when a I switch channels on the cable box I get pink vertical lines across the LCD. If I switch sources (ie: to DVD and back to the cable box) on the AV receiver the lines disappear. :confused5:

Has anyone have or had this problem? Is there a fix or work around for this?

Luvin Da Blues
02-19-2007, 04:58 AM
Bye the bye, how come my equip. list doesn't update?

Dusty Chalk
02-19-2007, 05:29 AM
Bye the bye, how come my equip. list doesn't update?It's probably updated in your profile (it says 2807 there), but you put it in your sig separately, so you need to change your sig separately.

Luvin Da Blues
02-19-2007, 05:34 AM
Duh!!!

Thanks Dusty

edtyct
02-19-2007, 06:26 AM
You don't say how your DVD player connects to the LCD TV. In any event, my guess is that the pink lines are an artifact of the transition from the receiver to the TV. Switching sources gives the HDMI output from the Denon a chance to get better acquainted with the HDMI input of the TV. Two possible remedies are (1) keeping everything in the digital domain or (2) going straight into the TV with at least one of your sources. Because (2) eliminates the switching facility of the receiver, I'd keep my fingers crossed that (1) does the trick, or live with the temporary pink extravaganza.

Luvin Da Blues
02-19-2007, 06:37 AM
Thanks,

My DVD is connected to the Denon with component cables also. I use this configuration because my DVD is older and the AV receiver up converts from interlaced to progressive. Am I missing something?

markw
02-19-2007, 06:42 AM
My DVD is connected to the Denon with component cables also. I use this configuration because my DVD is older and the AV receiver up converts from interlaced to progressive. Am I missing something?I do believe that your TV is perfectly capable of doing a fine job of upscaling the DVD's output into it's native format all by iteslf. You might want to give it a try.

Yeah, I'm "old school" in that I like to run my video directly to the TV and use that for video switching, and my audio to the receiver and use that for audio switching. It may seem a little cumbersome at first but it do have it's advantages.

I also run the red/white analog sound from the sources directly to the TV so I can use the source and TV only without the receiver in the middle. I hate kid's videos blasting through the big system.

edtyct
02-19-2007, 07:01 AM
Mark has a point about the TV doing the upconverting itself; it may well do as good a job as the receiver. However, regarding the other point, the conversion of analog component to digital HDMI is not simple. It's most likely the reason for the pink lines on first try. An all-HDMI circle of friends is the safest, most secure strategy if you plan to do HDMI switching; otherwise, you may have to resign yourself to a transitory glitch or two.