Malaysia vs. China vs. Japan [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Malaysia vs. China vs. Japan

Century L100
02-17-2007, 06:21 PM
I remember reading -- but I can't remember exactly where -- something to the effect that the Malaysian electronics industry is sort of a "cut above" China in terms of general quality. The person writing it also expressed the thought that working conditions and pay are better in Malaysia than China, although maybe not as good as in Japan. Is there any truth to this? I've done a search but can't seem to find what I read.

It's not a big factor influencing my purchases, but I've noticed from looking at online photos of rear panels that a lot of Yamaha products, including their lower end models, are built in Malaysia as opposed to the HK 3480, for example, which is produced in China.

bobsticks
02-17-2007, 07:41 PM
It was my impression, through reading, that China in fact was starting to put out a variety of decent budget "hi-fi" pieces. I'll do a couple searches and see what I can come up with.

Obviously, like anything else, case results and opinions may vary.

Rock789
02-17-2007, 07:58 PM
my VR-1's were made in china...
I did not realize this untill they said "made in china" on the box they came in...

basite
02-18-2007, 06:52 AM
are two...

you have: made in china, in a forest, by some 12 year old kids who know nothing about what they are doing, and just repeat what's being done by their boss... (the bad made in china)

and you have: made in china in a very high tech assemblage area, where the workers are trained/schooled. In this case, things are just put together, and all the parts come from more high tech countries like Germany, the USA, the UK, ... this is "the good made in china"

don't know about malasia,
Japan is always good...

Greetings,
Bert.

icarus
02-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Well put bert... With the recent directions that china has been taking, they are moving further from the "12 year old forest kid" to the "high tech assemblage area". Within the next decade I can see china's products continuosly improving in quality, as they become the next super power...

Century L100
02-18-2007, 06:10 PM
OK, I guess Bert's reply makes sense. I tend to think of the "12 year old forest kid", too, whenever I think of Chinese assembly facilities. But come to think of it, that was once probably true of some Japanese workers too many years ago.

The other replies also made me stop and think that Boeing is building airliners at Chinese plants and GM is building cars, including some Buick models, over there. I suppose that means that the overall trend in working conditions, training and education of workers is on the way up.

bubbagump
02-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Manufacturing standards (ie. ISO) are a pre-requisite for any major company before the contract is signed. This wasn't true a short twenty years ago. Now you can go just about anywhere and expect the design to be translated pretty faithfully into the product. For example, iPods are cranked out by the millions in Chinese factories. Korean cars now rival their Japanese and American counterparts. The Volkswagens built in Mexico are built to the same standards as their German counterparts. So to answer your question, the country of origin makes virtually no difference assuming the factory adheres to common standards. It's mostly a game of who can manufacture smarter-better-faster and least expensively. Not good for developed countries in my view. In the US you read every day about this company or that closing factories and moving off shore. Most recently, Hershey is canning another 1500 and moving the jobs to Mexico. It's good for the owners and stock holders, not good for the working men and women who are out in the cold.

PeruvianSkies
02-18-2007, 11:04 PM
I am American and I buy Canadian...haha.

elapsed
02-19-2007, 12:09 AM
I am Canadian and I buy British! LOL

2chAlex
02-20-2007, 12:29 AM
You know I keep getting told to get use this world economy concept. Maybe cause I'm a child of the fifties but the goverment of China is still what it is. It's as if no one looks beyond the surface/lower cost of goods. I have now have little choice, just try to advoid the "made in China" label . Who'd have thunk it that made in Japan electronics would become rare and sought after.

Rock&Roll Ninja
02-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Funny things, 'Japanese' electronics are usually built in China too. (Kinda like Ford cars built in Mexico).

And the Chinese factories are owned by.......... American businessmen!

Dusty Chalk
02-26-2007, 04:43 AM
I live on earth and I buy terrestrial.

Feanor
02-26-2007, 09:10 AM
Funny things, 'Japanese' electronics are usually built in China too. (Kinda like Ford cars built in Mexico).

And the Chinese factories are owned by.......... American businessmen!

You'r a chump if you think that the typical American businessman has any allegiance to the country. Come election time they affect to be social conservatives -- vote Republican if you love God and American way. But when it comes to investing their money goes where wages are low, benefits few, environmental laws fewers, and local bureaucrates are "amenable".

GMichael
02-26-2007, 09:40 AM
It's hard to nail down. I buy from overseas all the time. I have received parts from China that were top notch parts. I have also received parts from Germany that were crap. It all depends on what you are buying and who it is you are buying it from. China, just by the fact of being so huge, is a crap shoot. There are many suppliers from there that are just making whatever they can, anyway they can, to make a buck. Capitalism! But if you find a company there that makes quality products, then they can be just as good as anyone else's products. We were buying products from Lithuania for many years. They've had their issues but have come around to being one of our best sources. The German company I mentioned makes quality parts most of the time. But we bought parts that were outside of their expertise one time. It wasn't good. Korea is making better parts now also. In general, better than China but less expensive than Japan. But not always. Like anything else, generalizing can lead you to believe that it's always true, but it isn't. Case by case is the only way. Find a company owned by someone who believes in quality and you're better off.

Feanor
02-26-2007, 12:57 PM
It's hard to nail down. I buy from overseas all the time. I have received parts from China that were top notch parts. I have also received parts from Germany that were crap. It all depends on what you are buying and who it is you are buying it from. China, just by the fact of being so huge, is a crap shoot. There are many suppliers from there that are just making whatever they can, anyway they can, to make a buck. Capitalism! But if you find a company there that makes quality products, then they can be just as good as anyone else's products. We were buying products from Lithuania for many years. They've had their issues but have come around to being one of our best sources. The German company I mentioned makes quality parts most of the time. But we bought parts that were outside of their expertise one time. It wasn't good. Korea is making better parts now also. In general, better than China but less expensive than Japan. But not always. Like anything else, generalizing can lead you to believe that it's always true, but it isn't. Case by case is the only way. Find a company owned by someone who believes in quality and you're better off.

Every stark word of it. Japanese cars, even made in America, are better than American cars made America (or, for that matter, Mexico). Why? Because Japanese business believes in quality (that is, that it sells stuff and keep customer coming back). American automakers always believed that the buyer is too stupid to prefer quality over glitz, despite a generation during which to see the light. They're going down the pipes and deservedly so

So on to the main point which is that there is no protection to the American, (let's say North American), workers or businesses on account of stuff made here being higher quality. Because it isn't or won't be for long anyway.

Rock789
02-26-2007, 01:24 PM
My Toyota Tacoma is proudly Made in America!
where are GM, Ford, and Dodge trucks made? (Canada and Mexico)
... ya not all the stuff is made here or there, but look at things like unions... GM can move a plant to Mexico and save money in a year or two due to the cost of labor... where as a Honda or Toyota plant would not have have to worry about union labor...

Rock789
02-26-2007, 01:28 PM
also... little to no tariffs allow overseas companies to sell in the states for cheaper than we can make it in the states...

"I hear a sucking sound" -- regarding NAFTA if you don't remember ;o)

hydroman
03-01-2007, 12:26 PM
I will admit i was quite a bit put off when i saw that my 'Denon' reciever was made in China. And my Harmon Kardon, and my.... wow, just about everything. Marantz, H/K and other 'high end' units were USofA. Good Japanese brands (Yamaha, Denon, Sony, Pioneer) came from ... Japan.

No Longer. Labor costs and reduced shipping expenses combined with open borders with low/no tariffs mean the assembly job is bid out.

So far the Denon smoked itself in just over three years and the first H/K shipped was defective from the factory...

But on a global scale - globalism is a good thing. Neither the US nor China could afford a war. Peace Happens. Taiwan's biggest trading partner is no longer the US but... China.

I am a consumer. I want cheap, durable and effective products that meet my needs. If i recieve that - why should i truly care who assembled it?

basite
03-01-2007, 12:35 PM
my speakers were made in the usa, my cables were made in the usa
my integrated amp was made in japan, my old receiver (now used as a tuner) was made in japan, my tt is made was japan.

I'd much rather have chinese assembled hifi gear, where all the parts are made in high tech countries like germany, the usa, the UK, the rest of western europe, japan. than I'd buy a german assembled amp, where all the parts were made in china.

does that make them hyper expensive? no.
they more belong to a higher end class, not to the mass products.
and the things made in china are cheaper in production costs, but the manufucturer just makes more profit of "made in china products."

Greetings,
Bert.

emorphien
03-01-2007, 12:45 PM
I am American and I buy Canadian...haha.
ditto