Ghost Rider [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Rider

icarus
02-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Well I recently went t ocheck out the new ghost rider flick, and thankfully i didn't go in with high standards. The script writing was actually corny by comic book standards. on the plus side it is a true testimate to what computer imaging is capable of. Using a comic character like Ghost Rider you would expect to get some good battle scenes, but they all seamed to fall far short of impressive. in conclusion don't waste your money on going to the theatre, wait till it comes out on video.:sad:

Troy
02-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Why would anyone actually pay to see this movie? Has it had ANY good press? Have you seen the commercials for it? Couldn't you tell that it was gonna be awful before wasting $10 on it?

What if Hollywood made a movie like this and nobody went? They'd stop making movies like this. Get the picture?

icarus
02-18-2007, 12:12 PM
asa general rule I avoid watching these horrible movies at all costs. But besides growing up being obsessed with cars and hi-fi... im a huge comic fan, and ghost rider falls into the catagory of a classic comic character. the comics were very good, and i hoped that the movie, besides having corny commercials might actually live up to the comic (as much as spiderman and Xmen did at least). But it did crash and burn even on that premise... But i wasn't alone in going to watch this car wreck for the movie theatre actually was running 2 of its 10 theatres to show this flick, andthey were all sold out!!!

s dog
02-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Well I recently went t ocheck out the new ghost rider flick, and thankfully i didn't go in with high standards. The script writing was actually corny by comic book standards. on the plus side it is a true testimate to what computer imaging is capable of. Using a comic character like Ghost Rider you would expect to get some good battle scenes, but they all seamed to fall far short of impressive. in conclusion don't waste your money on going to the theatre, wait till it comes out on video.:sad:
It was between ghost rider and bridge to terabithia for tonights trip to the theater, so i guess i will go with terabithia thanks for the warning.

icarus
02-18-2007, 01:08 PM
any time dog... And if you go terabithia, tell me how it was... it looks pretty good..

anamorphic96
02-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Funny thing is Ghost Rider has been sitting on the shelf for 2 years. Sounds like the studio didn't know what to do with it. So it got released in the annual January to March dumping ground. Daredevil got the same treatment.

Every movie that comes out between January and March as well as August through October is of questionable quality. Granted there a few good ones that sneak through. Maybe 1 in 10 movies that are released in this time frame are any good. This is the way the industry works every year. Breach has been the only good movie I have seen that has been released in 2007. Even then it has some issues.

ForeverAutumn
02-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Why would anyone actually pay to see this movie? Has it had ANY good press? Have you seen the commercials for it? Couldn't you tell that it was gonna be awful before wasting $10 on it?

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I used to love Nicolas Cage. I'd go to the theatre to see everything that he did. I even saw, It Could Happen To You and City of Angels. But now, if I see a Cage film every 3 - 4 years, that's about enough for me. The last one I saw was Matchstick Men in 2003.

PeruvianSkies
02-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Cage was brilliant in the following:

MATCHSTICK MEN
ADAPTATION
and WINDTALKERS

other than that....he's just so-so.

icarus
02-18-2007, 10:01 PM
I would have to add to your list
LORD OF WAR
FACE OFF
after that then i would agree is acting is just "so-so"

Troy
02-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Brilliant in "Windtalkers?" Good acting in "Face Off?"

Jeez guys . . . what are YOU guys smoking?

This just in- John Woo makes baaaaad movies. He's never made a good film in English. Even his HK movies are vastly over-rated.

I DID like "Lord of War", but not because of Cage. It was just a very solid, very provocative movie. "Matchstick men" was also an extremely entertaining plot-twister of a film (I especially got off on all the mid-century modernist locations and sets), but imagine how much better it would have been with say, Johhny Depp in that role. I think "Adaptation" was the best thing he's ever been involved with. Again, great film, but not because of him.

If I have to hear him channel Elvis one more time . . .

icarus
02-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Brilliant in "Windtalkers?" Good acting in "Face Off?"

Jeez guys . . . what are YOU guys smoking?

Well troy takin a look at your blood shot eye... I be thinkin we smokin the same thing. Listenin to some musical youth.. Pass the dutchie on the left hand side:cornut:

Dusty Chalk
02-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Have to disagree -- Face/Off was effin' brilliant. They set up some distinct personalities in both actors, then had them switch off. Phenomenal, one of my two favourite movies from that year.

noddin0ff
02-19-2007, 12:56 PM
I would have to add to your list
LORD OF WAR
FACE OFF
after that then i would agree is acting is just "so-so"

and RAISING ARIZONA, WILD AT HEART, LEAVING LAS VEGAS...

Troy
02-19-2007, 01:29 PM

Yeah, Raising AZ: Nick Cage channeling Elvis for sure. Still, it IS a great movie, it gets funnier every time I see it. Wild at Heart though, more bad Elvis, and wasn't that just terrible overacting? Intentionally? His scenery chewing was just ridiculous in that. Still, a pretty goofily fun, strangely comedic counterpart to Blue Velvet. I didn't buy him in Leaving Las Vegas so much either. He has a whiny, pleading quality that I find grating and it was used to oscar®worthy excess there. He's become too overexposed now so whenever I see him he's just Nick Cage, every time.

Troy
02-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Other than that, he's pretty good.

JSE
02-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Ummm..............CON AIR????............Hellooooo! :thumbsup:

Seriously though, the wife and I watched Lord of War this weekend and it was pretty good. One thing I have to say about Cage, he's unique. Gibson, Ford, Clooney, Pitt, Redford....you can swap them out in just about any role and you would get roughly the same thing. No so with Cage.

JSE

ForeverAutumn
02-19-2007, 04:09 PM

Add in Adaptation and you'd have my top four. I liked Bringing Out the Dead too. I didn't see Windtalkers, but Hubby did and said that it was a real snooze fest. The same for Gone in Sixty Seconds.

And, yeah, he overacted in Wild At Heart, but that was half the fun!

ForeverAutumn
02-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Ummm..............CON AIR????............Hellooooo! :thumbsup:

OMG! That was the beginning of the end in my mind. Might as well have been Bruce Willis in that role.

icarus
02-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Well gone in sixty seconds is one of the great car movies of the last 10 years. The acting may have been lacking but the cars stole the show. Ya con-air would be a great movie if they had bruce willis star in it. He probably would have done a great job if willis stared in 5th element too.. some times it all comes down to finding the right actor for the right movie.