Athena F2s versus Acoustech HT-75 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Athena F2s versus Acoustech HT-75

lewburgh
02-17-2007, 06:57 AM
Know these speakers aren't the most exciting to boot especially in comparison to what most of you are listening to, but I am on a budget. Getting ready to go back to school. Anyone have any opinions I would be most grateful. Thanks! Watched Lord of the Rings on my current system last night with my new Acoustech HT-65 Center. Quite a contrast between that and my old JBL N Center II. Acoustech is far more accurate, pronounced, and a better all around build. Little bright but hoping that will change after break in period- what can I expect for 139. Any other suggestions to improve my system- two channel pre amp for music? cables?

Lew

HK 525AVR
Toshiba HDTV 51H84
Samsung HD-850
Marantz CD5001
XBOX 360

Acoustech HT-65 Center
Athena RS1 Rears
Velodyne DPS-12 Sub
? Fronts Acoustech HT-75s or Athena F2s (found original F2s on ebay not F2.2 construction)
Audioquest Copperhead RCA audio interconnects
Bluejeanscables-Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables

lewburgh
02-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Also looking at the Magnepans MMGs now and thinking of pairing with an Outlaw 2 ch amp.

jrhymeammo
02-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Back to school ay? Ahhh I remember those days... couple of months ago I think:idea:

MMG and Outlaw should be interesting. I've been told that MMG doesnt do well with bass heavy music. My bookshelf monitors go down to about 55hz on specs and I dont miss my Paradigm PW2200 I sold for $100. I would judge anything based on specs though....

Maggies would be fun, but how big is your room going to be?
I'll say this because the placement of MMGs would be crucial.

lewburgh
02-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Yeah have heard that about MMGs but don't really listen to a lot of heavy bass music. I am going to wait on these because the room I am working with is small and with the Outlaw this is too much right now for me to spend. Any suggestions between the Athena F2s and Acoustech HT-75

Thanks,
Lew

royphil345
02-19-2007, 04:59 AM
I hate saying anything negative about the F2 because they are so popular....

I looked at them. Was very, very interested in them because they were so similar to the PSB 800 I liked and are now out of production (2 8" woofers and a silk dome). I was really disappointed. They weren't much cheaper, but the sound just wasn't in the same class IMHO. Bass is impressive. Mids seem a touch lacking to me and the highs just don't have the same life or smoothness.

I haven't heard the Acoustechs. I did once have a set of Klipsch towers and do miss them sometimes. Ultra-efficient speakers can be fun. They look similar. The smaller woofers and larger horn give me the impression there's hope for nice mids. Bic has sold some excellent speakers for very low prices in the past... I'd be tempted to give them a try. Especially if I already bought the matching center channel speaker...

lewburgh
02-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the info Royalphil.

Purchased the Acoustechs HT-75s to match the center HT-65. Got $50 off because I wrote 2 reviews so I only paid $279. I paid $400 for my JBL E60s which are crap so I'm pleased. For the money these make the most sense to me. I know they won't sound as good as the Klipsch reference series but am hoping they come close. I was impressed with the center so that is a good indication that I will like the towers. The only shortfall I have read about in this line is the lack of bass. With two 6.5" woofers I would imagine so but I have that covered with my Veldoyne DSP-12. Anyways, I am more concerned with the speakers being efficient not really a bass guy. My HK AVR525 at 70w per channel should have no problem driving these speakers. The purchasing stops for me here for the time being! Am just going to enjoy the budget system I have put together for a while.

In the near future when I get a house I'll be in the market for a two channel amp like the Outlaw for music and am interested in hearing the MMGs and MG-12s. Will probably keep the rest of my speakers and equipment for home theater use.

Lew

Harman Kardon AVR525
Marantz CD 5001
Samsung DVD HD-850
Toshiba 51H84 HDTV
XBOX 360

Acoustech HT-75 fronts
Acoustech HT-65 center
Athena AS-R1 rears
Velodyne DPS-12
Belden 5000 series speaker cables
Audioquest Copperhead RCA interconnects