Grado Labs SR 80 Ear Cups [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Grado Labs SR 80 Ear Cups

lewburgh
02-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Just bought a pair of Grado Labs SR 80 earphones and I am quite impressed. Amazing compared to all the other headphones I have used in the past. Was wondering if they make a more comfortable ear cup? My only complaint is that they become slightly uncomfortable after a while. And is there a cup that will be more noise cancelling that will not destroy the soundstage of the SR 80s? I have an electronic drumkit Yamaha DTXPress III and the headphones aren't really applicable because they let in too much outside noise. Are unbelievable for listening to my favorite CD's. Can't wait to get my new Marantz CD5001 to listen then. I'm sure I'm not the only newbie that's brought this up. I'm sorry to be one of those boring, uninformative beginners. Am learning.

Lew

HK 525AVR
Toshiba HDTV 51H84
Samsung HD-850
Marantz CD5001
XBOX 360

Acoustech HT-65 Center
Athena RS1 Rears
Velodyne DPS-12 Sub
? Fronts probably Acoustech HT-75s

audio_dude
02-16-2007, 06:44 PM
haha, welcome to AR.com, now, i own a pair of SR-60's, and I can tell you a little secret that will make your sr-80's WAY more comfortable...

buy a nice comfy pair of tube socks... take one of them, cut it just past where the ankle cuff is, then roll it up (like the part that covers your foot, roll it inwards, creating a donut type thing with one covered end) now take off the current pads, and slip the donut ring over the little lip which holds the cover.

this works great, the sock provides a very simple, comfortable pad that is thin enough to let all the sound through.

(make sure not to get one of those huge poofy work socks or something...)

Have fun, and experiment! find what works best!

lewburgh
02-16-2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks Rob,
Will give it a try. Anything else I can do to make more noise canceling?

Lew

Dusty Chalk
02-17-2007, 04:31 AM
No, not really. What you're buying when you buy Grados is the sound. They're infamously open headphones, and even when someone told Grado himself they wished he'd make a closed headphone or more comfortable headphones, he said, (and I paraphrase) "you don't like my headphones, make your own".

That said, the GS1000 is the most comfortable Grado I've ever had the displeasure to wear.

audio_dude
02-17-2007, 07:55 AM
haha, nice, yeh, grado's are open, and because of that, they sound amazing, don't bother using them as portables, these are basically super high end headphones for home stereo only.

I'd love to hear those GS1000's

thomasward00
03-03-2007, 08:19 AM
I use my SR60's with my Zune and Xenos portable AMP, can't stand earbuds. the SR60's are very portable.

audio_dude
03-03-2007, 12:16 PM
the cord is thick, the earcups get twisted around... sure, they CAN be used portable, but they leak sound like a sieve, which can get annoying.