The Rack system in departed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Rack system in departed

recoveryone
02-16-2007, 09:17 AM
I was watching the Departed last night and my jaw about hit the floor when I saw Matt Damon Girlfriend walk over to use his stereo system. It was a full McIntosh system, AVR, CD,.etc... the whole shbang. I know someone from that movie set went home with a very nice system. In most movies they use off brand stuff or remove the labels on such non important items. That just caught me off guard.

Feanor
02-16-2007, 08:08 PM
I was watching the Departed last night and my jaw about hit the floor when I saw Matt Damon Girlfriend walk over to use his stereo system. It was a full McIntosh system, AVR, CD,.etc... the whole shbang. I know someone from that movie set went home with a very nice system. In most movies they use off brand stuff or remove the labels on such non important items. That just caught me off guard.

Now I've got one more incentive. I gotta say, I love the Mac look.

basite
02-17-2007, 03:29 AM
Now I've got one more incentive. I gotta say, I love the Mac look.

I second that... :cornut:

they look georgeous indeed, and they sound even better, and they have POWER!!!
too bad they're really expensive...

didn't they use Mcintosh gear in the miami vice movie too??

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

emorphien
02-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Now I've got one more incentive. I gotta say, I love the Mac look.Ehh, I think they're hideous and gaudy.

recoveryone
02-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Feanor
02-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Ehh, I think they're hideous and gaudy.

In classy, retro sort of way. That's what I love about them. I'm not a fan of gaudy in general, but I love retro gaudy in certain contexts.

PeruvianSkies
02-17-2007, 02:53 PM
What's interesting is the name McIntosh is written in an olde English sorta font, then they have those greenish/bluish lights housed inside a tank, which still looks like it's from the 70's. So it's sort of a hybrid between old world and new world, yet they are incredibly warm and seems to me they haven't changed any of their core values.

emorphien
02-17-2007, 04:16 PM
In classy, retro sort of way. That's what I love about them. I'm not a fan of gaudy in general, but I love retro gaudy in certain contexts.
That would be one thing if it were classy. To me they've just overdone it and I don't find it classy at all.

Dusty Chalk
02-17-2007, 05:29 PM
I actually understand emorphien's viewpoint, and kind of agree with it -- I'm more of a minimalist, myself, and they're sort of...well...maximalist...

Feanor
02-17-2007, 06:00 PM
I actually understand emorphien's viewpoint, and kind of agree with it -- I'm more of a minimalist, myself, and they're sort of...well...maximalist...

Put your finger right on it: I love excess :15: :15: :15: :15: :15:

emorphien
02-17-2007, 06:21 PM
You got it. I love over-engineered products that can really perform, but I like an understated appearance. To me McIntosh just screams "I'm compensating" or "look at me."

bobsticks
02-17-2007, 07:43 PM
You got it. I love over-engineered products that can really perform, but I like an understated appearance. To me McIntosh just screams "I'm compensating" or "look at me."

LOL...Ouch.

Florian
02-18-2007, 03:38 AM
Mmmhhh Macs...... droool :)

basite
02-18-2007, 03:49 AM
Mmmhhh Macs...... droool :)

maybe their MC2kw will suit you and your system...

if you have loads of money...

Rock on...
Bert.

Florian
02-18-2007, 03:52 AM
maybe their MC2kw will suit you and your system...

if you have loads of money...

Rock on...
Bert.

Na, i am sticking to all old Krell Class A beasts :-) 3.2kw into 8ohm..... mmmh

But i cant afford the Macs either, still very good stuff they make tough :18:

basite
02-18-2007, 04:18 AM
Na, i am sticking to all old Krell Class A beasts :-) 3.2kw into 8ohm..... mmmh

But i cant afford the Macs either, still very good stuff they make tough :18:

that makes me feel small with my 50 watt integrated.... :cornut:

actually, how much power does one actually need to drive speakers like mine to get the most out of them, I read on the MF site that a speaker with a sensetivity of 89 db (pretty much like mine) needs 200 watts to get a good dynamic range....

is this true?

Greetings,
Bert.

Florian
02-18-2007, 04:26 AM
I couldnt tell ya, i just pretend to have knowledge. I dont think a bookshelve needs that much, but it depends on the current it gets. My system loves massive power and current, ya dont really need it unless you crank it. It just loves current and amps that will never begin to sweat, then it will play any level ya want :-)

basite
02-18-2007, 04:32 AM
yeah, there's where i'm stuck, it's not a real "bookshelve"

I am going to buy a power amp this summer anyways, for future intentions, but I think the Advents will be happy with it too...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Feanor
02-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Yes, emorphien is right, McIntosh are a bit gaudy. IMO, with some humor and self-assurance you can indulge in a little gaudy betimes. However if you prefer classic elegance without the gaudy, I suggest Accuphase.

emorphien
02-18-2007, 12:53 PM
Yes, emorphien is right, McIntosh are a bit gaudy. IMO, with some humor and self-assurance you can indulge in a little gaudy betimes. However if you prefer classic elegance without the gaudy, I suggest Accuphase.
Yes, those are quite a bit less flashy. To be honest I'd prefer the appearance of those if they went with a black face to match the displays, I find silver & black designs work better with the more modern designs than with the classic designs. I do find Classe components attractive in a techno-futuristic sort of way, for example.

It's just a matter of personal taste, McIntosh has been a brand I cringe at aesthetically for quite a while now.

Feanor
02-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Yes, those are quite a bit less flashy. To be honest I'd prefer the appearance of those if they went with a black face to match the displays, I find silver & black designs work better with the more modern designs than with the classic designs. I do find Classe components attractive in a techno-futuristic sort of way, for example.

It's just a matter of personal taste, McIntosh has been a brand I cringe at aesthetically for quite a while now.

Well, Classe isn't bad. But I have to say I prefer McIntosh to MBL -- that's just too much bling!! :eek6:

hifitommy
02-18-2007, 01:41 PM
as long as they sound excellent. i have had spartan-nad 3020, arc sp3c, adcom, etc but if one of those big blue eyed monsters sounded better than what i have and i have the funds, it could grow roots in my room.

basite
02-19-2007, 01:41 AM
yes, the macs look different than the accuphase, and yes the accuphase looks good too, but it's still a matter of taste...

I prefer both...
while the accuphase looks classier, and softer,
the mcintosh looks classy too, it's just ment to be placed in a different interior...
it looks harder yes, sometimes it does, but still, they look georgeous...

Greetings,
Bert.

Feanor
02-19-2007, 03:23 AM
If you ask me, (though I realize that you aren't asking me :o ), I think Mac style actually peaked in the '70 -- most elegant, least gaudy:

Dusty Chalk
02-19-2007, 05:23 AM
MBL, Classe, McIntosh...I wouldn't kick any of 'em out of bed, if you know what I mean...

PeruvianSkies
02-19-2007, 10:10 PM
I love the look of the Classe gear out there, especially their new designs. I am also a huge fan of the sleekness of the Parasound stuff as well, maybe I just love the silver boxes in contrast to black ones...although I think blue lights on anything is preferrable instead of red or any other color for that matter.

emorphien
02-20-2007, 06:02 AM
I love the look of the Classe gear out there, especially their new designs. I am also a huge fan of the sleekness of the Parasound stuff as well, maybe I just love the silver boxes in contrast to black ones...although I think blue lights on anything is preferrable instead of red or any other color for that matter.
Depends on how bright the lights are for me, some equipment has blue lights that would like up a room.

Feanor
02-20-2007, 06:11 AM

Yeah, the Parasounds are nice. Unlike emorphien, I prefer silver to black -- haha!! or my new Sonic Frontiers that's both.

But best of all, I like "champagne", i.e. that pale gold color, like Accuphase or some Marantz and early Sony's. Or even Conrad Johnson for the color, although I can't stand the overall look of many of the current CJ components. (Opps! sorry whoever's avatar is a CJ amp.)

emorphien
02-20-2007, 10:01 AM
I like silver, I just am picky about how silver and black are combined on the face of the components :)