Ethical Question - Thoughts on MX3000? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ethical Question - Thoughts on MX3000?

nuawlins@comcast.net
02-16-2007, 05:48 AM
AM considering purchasing the Universal Remote MX3000 from the internet and getting it programmed from a local authorized dealer. internet savings is almost 40% of MSRP for the hardware. (Internet cost is approx $600; programming is $300.00) - MSRP on both is closer to $1,400.00
is this the way to go or am I asking for trouble?

Dusty Chalk
02-16-2007, 05:50 AM
If you're paying for the programming, I wouldn't worry about it.

westcott
03-05-2007, 09:30 AM
AM considering purchasing the Universal Remote MX3000 from the internet and getting it programmed from a local authorized dealer. internet savings is almost 40% of MSRP for the hardware. (Internet cost is approx $600; programming is $300.00) - MSRP on both is closer to $1,400.00
is this the way to go or am I asking for trouble?

There are far more affordable solutions that provide the same functionality and cool factor.

Logitech Harmony has several function based remotes, that when used in conjunction with an RF hub, are great solutions. They have even put out a LCD touch screen for about US$500 that is very tempting. Their other solutions can be had for around US$100. That way you can take that money and spend it on your audio CD selection.

The programming of these units is fairly intuitive and is web based. Just plug in the model numbers into the web interface, connect via a usb cable, and it downloads all the codes you could possibly want. Setting up activities is easy and tech support is very good if you have questions.

And, as always, the folks around here are always willing to lend a helping hand.

basite
03-05-2007, 10:03 AM
why buy overpriced remote controls in the first place?
why not buy a logitech harmony, or why don't you just use the original remotes?

keep them spinning,
Bert.

N. Abstentia
03-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Harmony 880 = $199
Programming it = free

No brainer.

topspeed
03-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Your MX3000 contains web based programming via USB. If you can figure out how to post a question on AR, you can certainly figure out how to program the MX on your own. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to computers, yet programmed both my Dad's and my own Harmony 880. I'm not saying you should get the 880 (although that is what most of us use) as the MX is pretty trick, but before you drop $300 bucks to have some pimple faced teenager plug it into their laptop, you should take a few minutes and see if you can figure it out on your own. The 880 was so easy, well...even I could to it!

Believe me, that's sayin' something!

Donna6985
04-23-2007, 06:51 AM
Does anyone know whether or not the Harmony 890 or 1000 will control pc media center - specifically the OneView system from Theater Xtreme

http://www.theaterxtreme.com/media_console.html

The only remote I have been able to find that specifically states that it controls pc is the Home Theater Master brand which would include the MX3000.

westcott
04-23-2007, 06:59 AM
Does anyone know whether or not the Harmony 890 or 1000 will control pc media center - specifically the OneView system from Theater Xtreme

http://www.theaterxtreme.com/media_console.html

The only remote I have been able to find that specifically states that it controls pc is the Home Theater Master brand which would include the MX3000.

If you give me a model number, I can plug it into the database for you.

Donna6985
04-23-2007, 07:07 AM
I really don't know a model number. It's Theater Xtremes own media console called OneView. I believe they only have the one. Thanks for your help.

N. Abstentia
04-23-2007, 08:00 AM
If it's an IR remote, any Harmony will control it. It's fully programmable.

westcott
04-23-2007, 08:19 AM
I really don't know a model number. It's Theater Xtremes own media console called OneView. I believe they only have the one. Thanks for your help.

I just called Harmony support and this device is not presently listed. It would require you to program it using the Theater Xtremes OneView remote and entering into the system via USB connection. Once in the database, then it would be listed and available to other owners of that device.

Not sure if this helps you but if you have the OneView remote, you are all set. Otherwise, you would have to wait until someone else logs on with the TX OneView system.

Donna6985
04-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Thanks for your help. I don't actually have it yet and I'm not sure if a remote comes with it or not! That's a great question.....Thanks again.

DEVO
04-25-2007, 06:31 AM
http://www.universalremote.com/product_detail.php?model=38

This remote is still my favorite. It has just about the same codes as the MX3000, but w/ out the headaches of a touchscreen...and a custom installer can take the codes from the MX3000 and add to the MX850 if needed.
If you look at B & K, Lexicon, so on and so on... they all took this remote and added it to their pre-pros.
Logitechs are very nice remotes that can be user friendly, but do not have the power of the URC remotes.