Beyonce pictures in SI [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Beyonce pictures in SI

DariusNYC
02-15-2007, 03:34 PM
This post is intended to show no disrespect for Beyonce, who is an excellent singer and performer (and becoming a good songwriter) and general class act (Jaz-Z, you lucky bastard) and has under her belt some of the best popular pop songs of the last few years. ("Crazy in Love", "Irreplaceable", etc., plus some earlier monster hits with Destiny's Child.)

So having acknowledged that, and being a fan of hers, I feel both emininantly qualified to ask, and guiltless in asking . . . . um, have you seen those pictures of her in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue?!? Amazing!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/2007_swimsuit/beyonce/?cnn=yes

nobody
02-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Well, this is just ridiculous. It took this long for someone to post some words of thanks for such a thoughtful post from Darius? Or, did everyone else already know about it?

PeruvianSkies
02-22-2007, 12:58 PM
no, we just don't really care, or at least I don't.

GMichael
02-22-2007, 01:07 PM
They were included in the "drool" thread by Nod.

Resident Loser
02-22-2007, 01:33 PM
no, we just don't really care, or at least I don't.

...two of us...

jimHJJ(...ditto...)

Dusty Chalk
02-22-2007, 02:02 PM
I remain un-sylvan.

basite
02-22-2007, 02:18 PM
seen her, didn't like her too much,

and since when can she sing? let alone write songs?

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

noddin0ff
02-22-2007, 02:19 PM
I remain un-sylvan.

that's just too much information.

recoveryone
02-22-2007, 02:41 PM
I think I made mention of her during the Prince superbowl thread. As she should have been the half time show. Put the best/popluar talent on stage to go with the best game in town. Like her or not you have to admit she has the total package. As we in Cali put it she got L.A. face with an Oakland booty. And the real killer is she only 25 and been in the biz at the top for over ten years now. Not one of the other pop princess (brit,christina,Jessica) can hold a candle to her. The only one that is even close may be Gwen S., but she way behind the power curve. Beyonce is way out in front and with her doing more acting roles she taking the game and tilted it on its ear.

Singer (mulitable grammy's as group and solo)
Clothing line
Perfume
Cover Girl spokeperson
Serveral movie roles under her belt (Gold member, fighting Temptations, Dream Girls)

I bet she will be up for the next bond movie, and that will put her at the level of being one of the sexist women on the planet.

PeruvianSkies
02-22-2007, 03:04 PM
I never realized that having a clothing line and perfume made you talented or for that matter made people really care about you. I shall forever be enlightened.

recoveryone
02-22-2007, 03:39 PM
the point was that she is everywhere making money off her talent. You don't see courtney Love getting any fashion deal's lol

DariusNYC
02-22-2007, 06:14 PM
There are so many factors that keep her from being noted and given proper respect by folks on this board, despite her popularity and critical acclaim.

She practices in pop and r&b genres, and she's young, pretty, female and black. And she wasn't around in the 70s. But c'mon, she has made some of the most popular and critically acclaimed pop songs of the past decade -- and I would argue some of the best (hello? Survivor and Crazy in Love, for example, are just classics). She's classy, smart, nice, and totally beautiful. But she's pop, she's popular, she's young, she's female, and she's black. And thus she won't get much respect on this board. But I don't mean to play the race card too much or sound too inflamatory; by far the fact that she is pop and young, and to a lesser extent female, are the main demographic factors that keep the fogey rockists on this board from considering her talents properly. I think black is only a very small part of it, and certainly not in any intentional or over-the-top fashion -- let's face it, most white music listeners over a certain age like their black pop stars the way they like their black leaders: from the 60s. Doesn't meant they're horrible racists or anything. But anyway, how about those pictures?

jrhymeammo
02-22-2007, 06:29 PM
She plays her cello about 5 hours a day.

Now if that was true, I think bobsticks would lick the bow she uses..which happened to be made out of my pubic hair.:ciappa:

Dusty Chalk
02-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Whine whine whine. But anyway, how about those pictures?Can't we just dislike her because she's "not our thing", as it were? Must there be a reason? Must we analyze everything to death? I'm not saying we need to avoid analyzing whatsoever, but...I mean, c'mon, let's play the "most resembling" card -- what do I listen to, that even remotely resembles Beyonce's music?

basite
02-23-2007, 04:32 AM
yes, she's making money out of everything she does, yes she's hyper popular,
but, if beyonce was a 70 year old fat & ugly granny, would she be so popular then? I don't think so...

I'm not saying that you can't like her, seriously, you can...

keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
02-23-2007, 06:07 AM
There are so many factors that keep her from being noted and given proper respect by folks on this board, despite her popularity and critical acclaim.

She practices in pop and r&b genres, and she's young, pretty, female and black. And she wasn't around in the 70s. But c'mon, she has made some of the most popular and critically acclaimed pop songs of the past decade -- and I would argue some of the best (hello? Survivor and Crazy in Love, for example, are just classics). She's classy, smart, nice, and totally beautiful. But she's pop, she's popular, she's young, she's female, and she's black. And thus she won't get much respect on this board. But I don't mean to play the race card too much or sound too inflamatory; by far the fact that she is pop and young, and to a lesser extent female, are the main demographic factors that keep the fogey rockists on this board from considering her talents properly. I think black is only a very small part of it, and certainly not in any intentional or over-the-top fashion -- let's face it, most white music listeners over a certain age like their black pop stars the way they like their black leaders: from the 60s. Doesn't meant they're horrible racists or anything. But anyway, how about those pictures?

Nothing against her. She's alright. Just not what I'm looking for. I'll be glad to look at her when Jessica Alba is not around instead.

KaiWinters
02-23-2007, 06:21 AM
I bought the new Britney perfume..."Bald"...the total package...sheesh.

nobody
02-23-2007, 08:00 AM
I think Britney Spears is courting me from afar. She's taken on all the behaviors of about 90% of the women I've been with...shaving her head, crazy as a loon, in and out of rehab, whacked out on god knows what, hasn't worked in ages. She's just gonna have to face the fact that I'm married. Jeez, I wish she'd leave me alone.

Oh...and I'm with Dusty on you don't have to be anti-black to not like Beyonce's music. I like plenty of black artists both contemporary and classic but just don't care about her brand of pop. Nice pics though.

recoveryone
02-23-2007, 09:41 AM
yes, she's making money out of everything she does, yes she's hyper popular,
but, if beyonce was a 70 year old fat & ugly granny, would she be so popular then? I don't think so...

I'm not saying that you can't like her, seriously, you can...

keep them spinning,
Bert.

My Friend you have totally gone off the reservation, first you say she can't sing or write and now you campare her to a 70 year old. When was the last time you ever heard of a 70 year old pop star? So your point is as best mute. I don't think SI will be putting 70 year olds on the front cover anytime soon and who knows she may still be making movies when she reaches that age. But she would'nt be consider a pop star at that point, just an artist with 65 years in the biz.

Remember old Blue eyes (Frank) he started as a pop star and look how long he stayed in the biz (singing and acting). Popular culture defines what is hot, the test of time detreminds who are the real artist.

Jim Clark
02-23-2007, 02:08 PM

She practices in pop and r&b genres, and she's young, pretty, female and black. And she wasn't around in the 70s.

It would have been a much more relevant post had you just stopped at the pop and r&b. This board is preoccupied with rock in one form or another and it's hard to find an example of anyone from the mainstream or indie music world who is young, pretty, female, and black that rocks. Really, do you like her because she's young, pretty, female and black? It's about the music, it speaks to you or it doesn't. Not only should you have not played the race card too much, you shouldn't have played it at all. I thnk you're out of touch with the people on this board or you wouldn't have been so quick to insult the majority of us with the lamest argument this board has seen for quite a while.

-or- maybe you're just trying to incite discussion which wouldn't be such a bad thing.

jc

basite
02-23-2007, 02:38 PM
let's clear things up:

I have nothing against her, nor do I have something against anyone else,
but I just ment that her popularity is mostly based on her looks.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

ForeverAutumn
02-23-2007, 04:13 PM
she has made some of the most popular and critically acclaimed pop songs of the past decade -- and I would argue some of the best (hello? Survivor and Crazy in Love, for example, are just classics).

I'll agree that she's beautiful. But as for her songs...can't say that I've ever heard of either of the songs that you mention. No reflection on her talent or lack of, it's just not a genre of music that I listen to.

As for the rest of your post. It's just insulting.

most white music listeners over a certain age like their black pop stars the way they like their black leaders: from the 60s.

That's the most absurd statement that I've ever seen on this board. I like ALL my pop stars the way I like ALL my leaders. Talented in their line of work. I don't give a rat's ass what colour they are. You can't see colour with your ears.

But anyway, how about those pictures?

I'm holding out for the Male swimsuit issue. I'm young...I can wait.

recoveryone
02-23-2007, 05:46 PM
I think Darius was a bit defensive in his comments, and maybe this dialog will enlighten him in future threads. But some of the remarks made were also inflamatory, but not to the point of using race as the reason for not liking her. I would go along with the comment made by Autumn, if your not into that style of music or never heard any of the artist work maybe the comments should be kept just to what you do know and not assume.

jrhymeammo
02-23-2007, 05:55 PM
When was the last time you ever heard of a 70 year old pop star?
Have you ever heard of this aweful group called:

"The Rolling Stones" or even worst

"U2"?

geez.....

recoveryone
02-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Have you ever heard of this aweful group called:

"The Rolling Stones" or even worst

"U2"?

geez.....

The Stones are not pop stars anymore, they pass that in the 60's you totally miss the point my friend. Pop star= mass media appeal, crazed fans, Top 40 chart topper.

I would classify the Stones as Rock n Roll Icons (Artist) already in the hall of fame

U2 have only been around since the 80's (Pop stars late 80's)

3-LockBox
02-24-2007, 10:40 AM

She practices in pop and r&b genres, and she's young, pretty, female and black. And she wasn't around in the 70s.

Terribly disapointed in that comment from you. I have in the past enjoyed music from black, female singers. Beyonce is a beutiful young woman, no doubt. So is Christi Aguillera and Gwen Stephani, but I don't listen to them, and they're white. I don't listen to Chakira, but boy do I look at her (she's right you know, her hips don't lie). Sure, I like gawking at attractive women, even women who's CDs I don't own, so thanx for the pix, I guess.

Beyonce just isn't my bag man. And I don't read a lot of discussion on this board about anyone from that genre and style of music. So to suggest that your post didn't garner more positive responses (if that's what you were trying to achieve, now that I think about it) just because the subject was a 'pretty black woman'?

You think you shoulda got more responces just cuz you're, who...Darius? You show up here every great blue moon and your first post in ages is something a teenager would post. And then you drop the racist bomb...:confused5:

Poor form my man, poor form.

I can't believe I just wrote this post about Darius...:sad:

Carl Reid
02-24-2007, 04:11 PM

There are many reasons why your post didn't get that much attention, but most of the reasons you've suggested are ridiculous and frankly offensive.

I do not believe in pulling the race card casually! Racism exists and is a serious problem for so many people. Making claims that part of the reason people ignored your post is because Beyonce is black, trivializes real racist issues and much like the story of the boy who cried wolf - it serves only to make people ignore real issues of racism when they occur.

More likely reasons why your post did not garner as much attention as you felt it deserved:

1) This is an audio-review forum and not the playboy message board, so the priority here is music and not pictures of girls in Bikinis.

2) You failed to post your thread in an 'appropriate' place for it, which would be the non-audio discussions or even general... But it has nothing to do with Rave Recordings, which is where it is posted.

Further, I'll speak for myself on this one... I listen to and own a large number of current hip hop, RnB and Pop recordings, including music by Destiny's Child and Beyonce... and frankly, I think Beyonce is seriously overrated. I find that much of her success has to do more with looking hot and good business decisions than with genuine talent. There are far more talented young black female artists than her out there. So I think she gets more than enough respect as it is....

BradH
02-27-2007, 11:38 AM
This post is intended to show no disrespect for Beyonce...

Oh, man, you gotta get past that pc crap.

Say it with me Big D: "I AM A FREAKING MAN-PIG!!"

You failed to post your thread in an 'appropriate' place for it, which would be the non-audio discussions or even general... But it has nothing to do with Rave Recordings, which is where it is posted.

Too bad, I preferred this board when it was like the Wild West. Absolutely no moderator for years. Tough environment.

Despite his professed sensitivity, Darius is really a cowboy left over from the old days...HAHAHA!!

Troy
02-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Gawrsk, she's awrful purty.

PeruvianSkies
02-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Shouldn't this post be in the off-topic section????

3-LockBox
02-28-2007, 11:56 PM
cool system dude

however,

I'll put my fold-out Fingerhut system up against it any old day (as long as we only go 45 to 45, since the RPM selector switch is busted off (it always was very stiff anyway).

:16:

ForeverAutumn
03-01-2007, 06:54 AM
Shouldn't this post be in the off-topic section????

SHHHHHH!!!! We like to get OT here every once in while. It's good for morale.

I hope that we didn't scare Darius off. I didn't like his comments in this thread. But that doesn't mean this his musical input isn't welcome.

Dusty Chalk
03-01-2007, 10:49 AM
I hope that we didn't scare Darius off. I didn't like his comments in this thread. But that doesn't mean this his musical input isn't welcome.He's from New York, he'll be fine.

BradH
03-01-2007, 05:26 PM
He's from New York, he'll be fine.

Actually, he's from Michigan and he'll be fine.

And where the hell is Rae, dammit?

bobsticks
03-01-2007, 06:32 PM
She plays her cello about 5 hours a day.

Now if that was true, I think bobsticks would lick the bow she uses..which happened to be made out of my pubic hair.:ciappa:

Wow...ouch. Okay, that was uncalled for. :prrr:

As one of the folks on this forum who is not a "rock fogey" I don't particularly take offense to D's comment, although I'm saddened by the way he synthesizes information. Could it not be that one can passively dislike a particular artist or genre and it be just that? Does it require more probing commentary?

Also I fail to see how not commenting on her pictures fail to show respect. I had a variety of thoughts when I saw the pictures but none of them had to do with any level of respect or lack thereof for her musical talent. :devil:

jrhymeammo
03-02-2007, 06:16 PM
The Stones are not pop stars anymore, they pass that in the 60's you totally miss the point my friend. Pop star= mass media appeal, crazed fans, Top 40 chart topper.
Too outta three, dont think I missed it by too much then. Either way I still remain on their music. Just awful.

Hey bobsticks. Com'n man, I only said it cuz I know you would.

jrhymeammo
03-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Hey Darius,

if it'll help you sleep better, just know this.

The world is becoming more and more like this.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/DSC01414.jpg

my blood, your blood. All the same. Just stay the hell away from me when I'm diggin thru crates.

Feanor
03-02-2007, 08:02 PM
This post is intended to show no disrespect for Beyonce, who is an excellent singer and performer (and becoming a good songwriter) and general class act (Jaz-Z, you lucky bastard) and has under her belt some of the best popular pop songs of the last few years. ("Crazy in Love", "Irreplaceable", etc., plus some earlier monster hits with Destiny's Child.)

So having acknowledged that, and being a fan of hers, I feel both emininantly qualified to ask, and guiltless in asking . . . . um, have you seen those pictures of her in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue?!? Amazing!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/2007_swimsuit/beyonce/?cnn=yes

I don't think it's opera or lieder, though. As a classical music listener I don't recognize the name.

She gorgeous but then so are most of those Sports Illustrated models.

recoveryone
03-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Too outta three, dont think I missed it by too much then. Either way I still remain on their music. Just awful.

Hey bobsticks. Com'n man, I only said it cuz I know you would.

I know this is up to one's personnal opinion, But the Stones neither have any major endorsement deal as a group, and their fans are not crazed any more, more like the viagra type now and when was the last time they hit the top 40?

Maybe if I put it in more detail POP STAR= weekly Mag/Rag coverage, Fans that dress, act, talk, walk, dance as they do, Top 40 hit records that crosses over from whatever Genera the song/record came out of.

Oh by the way folks Bono was given a NAACP Image Award (this past week) for his long time work in African charites. And the real funny part was all Bono could say at first was how fine Tyra Banks was. The Rap group "The Roots" did a great job on U2 hit "In the Name of Love" with full guitar riffs/solos

jrhymeammo
03-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Blah blah blah..
Not offense. I'm just trying say that it's going nowhere, so I'll stop posting on this thread.

At least we can both agree that KISS sounds worst than a character from the Basket Case trying to wedge his way out of my ass after eating a plate of crab sandwich at the Somebody's Grille and Bar in Manilla Iowa. You ever eat there?

recoveryone
03-05-2007, 08:15 PM
ahhhhhh, nope! and I'll take your word on it. lol

GMichael
03-06-2007, 06:07 AM
Not offense. I'm just trying say that it's going nowhere, so I'll stop posting on this thread.

At least we can both agree that KISS sounds worst than a character from the Basket Case trying to wedge his way out of my ass after eating a plate of crab sandwich at the Somebody's Grille and Bar in Manilla Iowa. You ever eat there?

Why is a character from the Basket Case trying to wedge his way out of your a$$? And how did he/she get in there? :idea:

N-E-V-E-R-M-I-N-D!!!

I really, really DON'T want to know.

Tarheel_
03-06-2007, 06:50 AM
my favorite black female group has always been En Vogue...some great music from the nineties....really talented ladies.

just wanted to throw in a plug for the original divas.