Who would you visit? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Who would you visit?

PeruvianSkies
02-14-2007, 10:49 PM
Here's an interesting idea...not sure if this has ever been a subject before, but here it is...

Who on this site would you visit? Pick 3. You are visiting them for their system ONLY and it can either be Home Theater or Audio Systems.

Here are mine...

limlim

http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=211&cat=501

Awesome setup, great equipment, incredibly thought-out and well executed. Could sit in front of this setup for years!

amp74

http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=2467&cat=500&ppuser=238017

Been dying to hear these speakers and this is another great setup with lots of thought put into it with great components.

florian

http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=2485&cat=500&ppuser=244261

Since this is a one-of-a-kind rarity this would be a must listen to system!

elapsed
02-14-2007, 11:16 PM
SpankingVanillaice

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=21513

Sony SS-MB150H $49.95 pair speakers. Uses the same tweeters as the ones that costed $280 from Sony. So the highs are the exact same!. More clear than the JBL HLS410!

MORE THAN JUST DINOSAURS!!!

Florian
02-15-2007, 04:15 AM
I would visit

Y_Suryadi

http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=1140&cat=500&ppuser=237592

Jagpot

http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=1480&cat=500&ppuser=237458

Bernd and Joe too but cant find the Gallery

JohnMichael
02-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Sorry but I would visit for the interesting folks who put together the system.

GMichael for system, laughs and beer.
Bernd for system and being a classy gentleman.
Bobsticks for system and an interesting human being.
Florian for system and enthusiasm.

basite
02-15-2007, 09:14 AM
the list would have been very long, but if I can only choose 3 then it would be:
For their systems only:

Flo, of course :cornut:

Y_Suryadi, although I haven't seen him on the actual forum (and I don't know him neither), I've seen all his pictures over and over again, he has a really impressive system...

and last, but not least:
Bernd, for his really unique speakers, that I've never heard of, until he bought them...:)

and for the persons behind the system:
this is harder, the list would should be endlessly long here...

Bernd, for being really kind, and gently, and whatever else you want,
JRA, for the fun, and to see his new place, and his setup, and for being a funny guy,
Bobsticks, for being an interesting person,
GMichael, for the fun, and the beer

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
02-15-2007, 09:20 AM
Playing by the rules. (system only)

E-stat
Florian
Bernd

Playing by my rules. (whatever dang reason I want)

JM (because he's such a nice guy)
Florian (because he promised me a beer and a smoke)
Bernd (because I love great food)
Kex (because he says what he means and doesn't say anything that he doesn't know to be true)
Speedy (I love fast cars too)
RL (because he makes my sarcasm detector peg the needle every time)
Markw (for that beer)
Kam (so he can fill me in on all the latest inside information on the latest flix)
Wooch (so he can go on for hours about things I don't understand, but want to)
SVI (so I can find out if he is as clueless as he seems)
LJ (because he's a d'm funny & nice guy)
FA (because she's a girl. duh!)
Sir TTT (because I miss him)
Lex (because one of his personalities was a very nice guy)
To be continued.....

Bernd
02-15-2007, 09:59 AM
I would travel south and east.
Stop off at Basite to help him to get his speaker stands finished.
Next stop Flo to finally hear those big speakers and show him that I am bigger than him.
Eastwards to stop off at y-suryadi for the incredible collection and in depth knowledge.
Then a long flight to see my pal Bobsticks and to sink a few and onwards to JM, to see if somebody that kind actual excists.
Eastwards to stop off at Jim's (RL) as I love his sense of humor and sarcasm.
And then to drop off all the food and people collected from across the globe I will kick G Michael's kitchen into touch and bully him into having the mother of all House warming parties right there and then.

That's it.

Peace

Bernd:16:

blackraven
02-15-2007, 03:39 PM
I'd have to visit Flo to see if it sounds as good as it looks.

Dusty Chalk
02-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Florian, that's a given -- I think everyone would like to know if it sounds as good as he claims it does.

I don't know who else. I think maybe the guy with the Kharmas. It's too bad this guy (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81836) isn't over here, I'd love to hear his system (wall of McIntosh).

Feanor
02-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Here's an interesting idea...not sure if this has ever been a subject before, but here it is...

Who on this site would you visit? Pick 3. You are visiting them for their system ONLY and it can either be Home Theater or Audio Systems.

I think I'll be objective and restrict my criteria to the systems. (There are many here who deserved to be flattered for reasons other than, or in addition to, their systems, but I won't indulge.)

I happen to be fond of planar speakers; here are the ones I know of off hand and would like to visit on that account ...

Florian: enough said!

Apogee Acoustics THE GRAND
Tact RCS 2.2XP DAD
Sony SCD 777 ES
Usher 1.5 Reference
Krell KSA100 MKII
2xKrell KRS100
2x Krell MDA500E-Stat: I'd love hear those Sound Lab's

GamuT CD-1
VPI Scout/Souther TQ-1/Dynavector DV20XL
Audio Research SP-9
MKIIIDACT attenuators (for CDP)
VTL MB-450 amps
Sound Lab U-1 speakersJoeE SP9: those Acoustats plus the exotic combo of other components

ARC SP9 MKII preamp
VPI HW19jr
Rega RB300
Marcof PPA1 head amp
Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon cartridges
Marantz CD63SE CD
MSB DtoA
Sony DVP-NS500V
Accuphase T101 tuner
Nakamichi LX-3, ZX-7 Cassette
Lexicon MC8
2 modified Hafler DH200
2 radically modified Dynaco MK3's
1 Adcom GFA545
2 Paradigm xovers
2 12" Subs
1pr Acoustat Spectra 22/SPW-1 ESL's (fronts)
1pr Acoustat Model 1 ESL's (rears)Mike Anderson: those Maggie MG 3.6s plus EQ and MF kw500

500 GB LaCie Hard Drive
Squeezebox2
Behringer DEQ2496
Musical Fidelity kw500
Magnepan 3.6RFeanor: that is me! You're welcome to come by and listen :)

Denon TU767 tuner;
Sony SDC-CE775 SACD player
Technics SL_PS70 CD player (as transport)
Laptop with iTunes; Apple Lossless files on external HD
M-Audio Audiophile USB external sound card
Assemblage DAC 1.5 with HDCD decoding, (modified)
Technics SL-D2 turntable
Denon DL110 cartridge
Cambridge 540P phono preamp
Sonic Frontiers Line 1 preamp
2 x Monarchy SM-70 Pro amps
Magneplanar MG 1.6QR speakers
PSP Subsonic 5 subwoofer

E-Stat
02-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Playing by my rules. (whatever dang reason I want)

I like your approach! I'd like to meet our cast of characters and hear their environments over a beer or...

As for me, I pumped because I'm headed to Seacliff next month for another visit. Harry always has lots of new toys to play with. And, I always leave with new music choices!

rw

lewburgh
02-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Applause to Peruvian Skies!

This was a great idea. I am new to audioreview and am learning a lot as I go here. I have just spent the past 2 hours looking at all the different systems and set-ups.

Lew

GMichael
02-16-2007, 10:39 AM
I like your approach! I'd like to meet our cast of characters and hear their environments over a beer or...

As for me, I pumped because I'm headed to Seacliff next month for another visit. Harry always has lots of new toys to play with. And, I always leave with new music choices!

rw

We should all meet in Vegas!

JohnMichael
02-16-2007, 12:20 PM
We should all meet in Vegas!

GMichael is that you? I almost did not recognize you with that showgirl in your lap.

It would be great fun to have an AR get together.

basite
02-16-2007, 12:29 PM

It would be great fun indeed,
but I'll pass on this one, maybe when I'm older :cornut:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
02-16-2007, 12:34 PM
GMichael is that you? I almost did not recognize you with that showgirl in your lap.

mwupf mqupf mwupfst.. That's not my lap. But I can't blame you for that mistake. That's what happens when I sit like Mork from Ork.

jrhymeammo
02-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Bastie, you are always welcomed over my place. If that ever happens, we should drive up north about 4 hours to hear bobsticks ML/Mac.

I was going to say someone with Cary SLI-80, but dunno anyone.

Maybe I'll go see Dusty and steal his Stingray around 2PM when he's sleeping hard, and drive to Daves place in VA/DC to find out how the amp will play his big Linbrook Signature System.

Too bad Flo never got his TT he wanted. E-Stat's system would be a delight.

-J

bobsticks
02-18-2007, 06:40 AM
Based solely on system I would visit Bernd, E-Stat and big-daddy Flo. There's alot of good systems out there but I get the feeling these guys really have it dailed in.

To throw yet another OT wrinkle into this thread, I would love to get together with Dusty and nobody on musical variety. Throw PatD in there too as the breadth of his knowledge in the classical genre would be something from which I could benefit (as apposed to my own carpetbombing consumerism--buy it all and figure out what you like and why later).

I love the idea of Vegas. Am I the only one crazy enough to think we should actually do this? We gotta get the Rave Recers in on this too. I bet Davey and Swish-baby are hell on wheels and the ebb and flow of Troy and BradH arguing would create an almost musical backdrop for while counting cards.

My goal for this year is to have things fully automated by July (I'm the only guy in the world who works toward self-planned-obsolescence) so I should be able to hit the road a bit. Bernd and I need to get together and maybe while we're at it will take a trip down Kentucky way. J and I can go looking for some of those slim girls in toyota Priuses that he obssesses over. The fact that JM and I haven't gotten together is a crime. What, are we even two hours apart?

Peace out everybody and enjoy the rest of the weekend...

JohnMichael
02-18-2007, 10:12 AM
I have never been to Vegas but I am ready. There is potential for a great get together. Bobsticks I would love to point the Echo West this summer. Or even spring after the snow stops falling.

emorphien
02-18-2007, 10:18 AM
neat thread idea... i'll have to think about it although of course I'd have to hear Florians for the novelty

jrhymeammo
02-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Give it another 10 years, then this site just might be big enough to have annual 30.8 ch /Stereo-thon convention. Guess I bet start using that damn green search option.. but it sucks!!! http://qna.live.com/ShowQuestion.aspx?qid=113BFE98EE1D4534BF0C6AAFE084 2B70

Eric, there better be piles of shrimp cocktail bigger than Bernd

JRA

PeruvianSkies
02-19-2007, 12:05 AM
bobsticks...what would I do without you? You are truly one of the few people here that appreciate the thought put into starting a new thread. I have enjoyed reading this one for sure and I think what is really cool about this is the fact that people tend to want to visit one another not just for gear, but for their personality, which is amazing since most of us know very little about one another except for our music babbling and our rants about equipment. While there is usually some hostility on this site, there also seem to be great friendships that have formed and that's a really great thing.

Bernd
02-19-2007, 12:29 AM
bobsticks...what would I do without you? You are truly one of the few people here that appreciate the thought put into starting a new thread. I have enjoyed reading this one for sure and I think what is really cool about this is the fact that people tend to want to visit one another not just for gear, but for their personality, which is amazing since most of us know very little about one another except for our music babbling and our rants about equipment. While there is usually some hostility on this site, there also seem to be great friendships that have formed and that's a really great thing.

Great Post!!

Well if such a meet should materialise I would be game. Just need some notice. I am with bobsticks in that there are some very knowledgable members in RRs, who I would love to meet.
Have a great week.

Peace

P.S. Hiro - The shrimps need to be really big!!!!:ciappa:

GMichael
02-19-2007, 06:04 AM
I just like being a pain in the butt. Can I be invited anyhow?

JohnMichael
02-19-2007, 07:42 AM
I just like being a pain in the butt. Can I be invited anyhow?

Sure, after all one man's pain is anothers pleasure. LOL

GMichael
02-19-2007, 08:10 AM
Sure, after all one man's pain is anothers pleasure. LOL

AHH :yikes:
That's not the direction I was going.:incazzato: :prrr:

JohnMichael
02-19-2007, 08:27 AM
AHH :yikes:
That's not the direction I was going.:incazzato: :prrr:

I am so tired of snow the only direction I want to go is Southwest.

JohnMichael
02-19-2007, 09:00 AM
J-Murda so I can hear his Denon DL301 MkII. Just wondering how my country and bluegrass vinyl will sound with that cartridge. Seriously my recording of The Rite of Spring on Telarc would be interesting to hear.

jrhymeammo
02-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Stravizzy is still alive and finally went Country Western?

You are also much welcomed over here in the blue. What do you say we dress Bernd in a shrimp suit and get freaky with it. Not sure what I meant, but I'll let GM get crazy wit it.

Dusty Chalk
02-19-2007, 06:55 PM
How about a lobster claw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VeIL7juFE0)?

GMichael
02-20-2007, 05:54 AM
What do you say we dress Bernd in a shrimp suit and get freaky with it. Not sure what I meant, but I'll let GM get crazy wit it.

Can't eat shell fish myself. But my cats are very excited.

Bernd
02-20-2007, 07:56 AM
How about a lobster claw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VeIL7juFE0)?
Dusty, that is not my colour.:ihih:

Peace

PeruvianSkies
02-23-2007, 12:33 AM
this thread has taken an interesting turn...

PeruvianSkies
08-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Because of the fact that in the past 6 months quite a few upgrades have happened here at AR and I thought it might be interesting to see/hear some up the new setups. I think GMichael and Nightflier both have done some great things with their gear, same with jrhymeammo and Basite. I think I'd still like to check out Bernds for sure, as well as Flo's for obvious reasons, but I am not sure about that third slot right now.

basite
08-18-2007, 04:07 AM
Because of the fact that in the past 6 months quite a few upgrades have happened here at AR and I thought it might be interesting to see/hear some up the new setups. I think GMichael and Nightflier both have done some great things with their gear, same with jrhymeammo and Basite. I think I'd still like to check out Bernds for sure, as well as Flo's for obvious reasons, but I am not sure about that third slot right now.

wait till tomorrow and you'll have reason to come over :)

GMichael
08-18-2007, 04:22 AM
wait till tomorrow and you'll have reason to come over :)

Your amps shows up tomorrow? Congrats. I would have been going nuts by now.

basite
08-18-2007, 05:16 AM
there are certain stress-signs, though, I can feel I won't sleep that much this night, neither will I sleep tomorrow night :)

PeruvianSkies
08-18-2007, 01:24 PM
there are certain stress-signs, though, I can feel I won't sleep that much this night, neither will I sleep tomorrow night :)

What are you gettin'????

basite
08-19-2007, 02:10 AM
wait & see :ihih:

basite
08-20-2007, 04:17 AM
What are you gettin'????

wait & see :ihih:

you can find out what I bought here:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=202295#post202295