Athena AS-F2.2 Versus AS-F2 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Athena AS-F2.2 Versus AS-F2

lewburgh
02-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Hello all,

I am in the process of selling all my JBL Northridge series speakers and upgrading from my E60s, E30s, NCenter II, and JBL PB-10. Ran these through a HK AVR 525. While these speakers were OK for movies they are not good by any stretch of the imagination for music. My little bookshelf BIC V62s sound exceptionally better than my floorstanding E60s that cost twice as much. Anyways I have decided on Athena AS-F2s for my fronts. Have already purchased the original AS-R1s for my rears (found on Ebay) NOT the AS-R1.2s, a Velodyne DSP-12 sub which is awesome, and an Acoustech HT-65 center. Now all I need is the fronts to complet my new 5.1 system. Was wondering if anyone heard about the Athena F2.2 line as being a less quality build in comparison to the original F2s? Have heard the new cabinets are not the quality build of the original F2s. Am concerned about this. Haven't been able to find the original F2s and am hesistant on buying the new F2.2s.

Thanks,
Lew

nightflier
02-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Why wouldn't you want to get the Acoustech HT-75s for the fronts? They would match much better with the center and are also gorgeous speakers to boot. I haven't heard either of the Athenas, but I think the Acoustech would be an excellent alternative.

lewburgh
02-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Thanks nightflier. Have looked at the Acoustech HT-75s. Only 279 for the pair, supposedly compare to Klipsch in some respects. Have you heard these speakers?

lewburgh
02-14-2007, 06:20 PM
Anyone have any other suggestions in terms of fronts for $500 or under for the pair. Probably will go with the Acoustech HT-75.

Harmon Kardon AVR 525
Samsung DVD-850
Athena AS-R1 Rears
Velodyne DSP-12 Sub
Acoustech HT-65
XBOX 360
Fronts ?

nightflier
02-15-2007, 07:45 PM
I have heard the HT-75s and compared them to the Klipsch RB towers (forgot the exact model #). For the price, they can't be beat. They are not better than the Klipsch at 3x the price, but they certainly sound very good. The horned tweeters sound a lot like the Klipsch but they don't have the same depth and authority (probably because the speakers are so much smaller). As I said, I haven't heard the Athenas so I can't help you out there, but I doubt you will be disappointed, especially if you add a sub.

lewburgh
02-15-2007, 08:07 PM
I think your right makes the most sense with the other components I have, especially the HT-65 Center. Is my Velodyne DSP-12 suffecient or should I purchase another sub. Not a large room I am working with.

Thanks,
Lew

lewburgh
02-15-2007, 08:09 PM
Just purchased a Marantz CD5001, can't wait to get that as well. Will the Acoustech HT-75s reproduce two channel audio well with my HK 525.

Lew

teledynepost
02-15-2007, 09:57 PM
I am satisfied with my F2.2's, though I only paid 240/pair new (I work for BestBuy and got them at a discount). I wouldn't pay more than that, and they are paired with a 15" Velodyne CHT-15.