Stupid hookup question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Stupid hookup question

crhoover
02-14-2007, 10:15 AM
:confused5: Not sure if this is the right forum for this, so forgive me if it is not. I have a Yanaha DSP-A1 and want to hook up an old MCS 3235 to use as a radio as the Yami does not have a tuner. I am not finding an "out" on the MCS 3235, so does this mean that it cannot be done? Or, if so, how? I need help on this one. Thanks everyone.:confused5:

markw
02-14-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm hoping the receiver has a pair of plugs on the back marked "tape out". If so, these would be what you want to use to connect to the Yammie's inputs. Actually, whatever source you select on the Yammie will be fed to the Yammie's inputs so you esssentially have a fancy switchbox with a built in tuner.

You'll have to use the volume control on the Yammie for these inputs, including the tuner. No other controls on the receiver will have any effect on the signal.

crhoover
02-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Markw,
Yes, the receiver does have a pair of "tape out" plugs. THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!! I just couldnt figure this thing out. I do appreciate your help!
I know this receiver is a VERY old one, however, it should do OK for a radio and nothing else. That is until I upgrade to a HD radio.....:)

markw
02-14-2007, 08:42 PM
You can feed ALL of it's inputs to your speaker system. Plug in a CD player, phono, Ipod device and perhaps a tape deck. Ya got 'em. Ya might as well use 'em

crhoover
02-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Just wanted to let you know that your advice worked like a charm! :thumbsup: Of course you probably know that, but this was so simple that I couldnt figure it out.:) It's actually nice to have a radio again. My $15.00 Goodwill purchase was well worth it.:2: Now, if I could only find the manual.
Appreciate the help!

Resident Loser
02-15-2007, 06:29 AM
...I'd add to markw's advice...don't hook anything up to "phono" (if you have one so labeled) unless it hapens to be a phono...

jimHJJ(...that's a no-no...)

crhoover
02-15-2007, 03:37 PM
...I'd add to markw's advice...don't hook anything up to "phono" (if you have one so labeled) unless it hapens to be a phono...

jimHJJ(...that's a no-no...)

Just curious..............why?

Dusty Chalk
02-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Because of the RIAA EQ -- records have an equalization on them that needs to be compensated for upon playback, so it'll sound completely wrong. The phono input has that compensation built into it.

markw
02-16-2007, 04:19 AM
Because of the RIAA EQ -- records have an equalization on them that needs to be compensated for upon playback, so it'll sound completely wrong. The phono input has that compensation built into it.It has an additional amplifer stage built in for weak signals, which a phono cartridge puts out. It's looking for signal strength of about .005% of the signal strength other components put out and feeding a high level signal into this input will produce a nasty, distorted sound. You won't like it..