Most Overated/Most Overpaid Actor [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Most Overated/Most Overpaid Actor

Worf101
02-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Semi-annual thread here. Who are you constantly amazed by. And I don't mean amazed by the dept and breadth of their wor either. I mean amazed that the sorry muthaf**ker still draw a pay check amazed. Let's vote.

icarus
02-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Well I would say tom cruise, but he got disowned by paramount... But I must say hands down worste actress goes to Paris Hilton...

Worf101
02-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Well I would say tom cruise, but he got disowned by paramount... But I must say hands down worste actress goes to Paris Hilton...
Shhhh be vewy quiet.... We're only doing ACTORS!!!!!!! LOL!

We'll do the frail's another day.

Da Worfster

noddin0ff
02-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Kevin Costner all the way

Worf101
02-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Kevin Costner all the way
He's not made much lately... But i think I just missed him.

Da Worfster

GMichael
02-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Well, my first thought was Richard Gere. But after reading though your choices, I find myself in a quandary. Who should get my pick for top looser with $mil+ for a paycheck? Dang it Worf! These are all losers IMO. Eeni, meeny miny....whoa!

Edit: OK, thought it over. Had to go with Keanu Reeves. He made a much better stoner way back when, than he does an action star.

icarus
02-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Well since im not aloud to claim Paris Hilton as a dude, I guess i will just have to pass the crown on to Ben Assfleck. My mind hurts just trying to think of a decent movie he was in since Dogma (which still wasn't a steller performance, its just a really humerous movie). All he can really do is be famous for matching his name with his girl friends, Bennifer how cute...Come on how can you be considered an actor when your claim to fame is dating a singer/bad actress with an oversized rear-end. I would go on, but im starting to pissed off, and still early in the day and i don't feel like being miserable for the rest of it.

So ben Assfleck gets my vote for the waste of a paycheck.

ForeverAutumn
02-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Will there be a separate poll for actresses? 'Cause the first thought in my mind was Julia Roberts. But if I have to go with one of your choices...I picked Keanu. Can't think of one movie that I liked him in. All of the others, I could probably find an honourable mention for.

Worf101
02-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Will there be a separate poll for actresses? 'Cause the first thought in my mind was Julia Roberts. But if I have to go with one of your choices...I picked Keanu. Can't think of one movie that I liked him in. All of the others, I could probably find an honourable mention for.

Read the THIRD post please.. .and CLEAN YOUR GLASSES!!!. :mad5:

LOL, Yeth there will be a separate and equal poll of acresses, I made need some help though. So keep nominatin em to me so's I'll be ready in a week or so.

Da Worfster

GMichael
02-14-2007, 11:00 AM

Hey, your first thought and my first thought could team up and make a completely forgettable movie. Oh wait! It's too late.

GMichael
02-14-2007, 11:02 AM
:

LOL, Yeth there will be a separate and equal poll of acresses, I made need some help though. So keep nominatin em to me so's I'll be ready in a week or so.

Da Worfster

Britney frickin' Spears. nuf said.

ForeverAutumn
02-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Read the THIRD post please.. .and CLEAN YOUR GLASSES!!!. :mad5:

Da Worfster

So "frails" is actresses? Is that what you're telling me? I didn't know that. I plea ignorance your honour.

If you're looking for suggestions, don't forget to include Jennifer Aniston.

Worf101
02-14-2007, 11:17 AM
So "frails" is actresses? Is that what you're telling me? I didn't know that. I plea ignorance your honour.

If you're looking for suggestions, don't forget to include Jennifer Aniston.
You know that "ignorance of the law is NO excuse"!!!! Off with her head!!! Her Head I say!!!! LOL Yeth M'dear "frail" is '30's slang for a woman. And Jennifer Anniston is duly noted.

Da Worfster

Worf101
02-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Well since im not aloud to claim Paris Hilton as a dude, I guess i will just have to pass the crown on to Ben Assfleck. My mind hurts just trying to think of a decent movie he was in since Dogma (which still wasn't a steller performance, its just a really humerous movie). All he can really do is be famous for matching his name with his girl friends, Bennifer how cute...Come on how can you be considered an actor when your claim to fame is dating a singer/bad actress with an oversized rear-end. I would go on, but im starting to pissed off, and still early in the day and i don't feel like being miserable for the rest of it.

So ben Assfleck gets my vote for the waste of a paycheck.
Your post is too funny, I'm dyin' here at work.

Da Worfster

ForeverAutumn
02-14-2007, 12:15 PM
"frail" is '30's slang for a woman.

Da Worfster

I'm obviously A LOT younger than you are. :p

Troy
02-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Ben Affleck was my choice, tho I could have easily picked several otters. Pearl Harbor, man, Pearl Harbor.

Whenever I hear Matt Damon's name I think of Team America where his puppet always says "I'm Matt Daaaaaamon." in a slightly retarded way.

Alec Baldwin? Hello? Wasn't he great in Departed? Glenn Garry, Glenn Ross? He cancels out his douchebag brothers.

Hanks? He deserved those Oscars®.

I don't hate Cruise or Reeves as much as most people seem to. I can think of several movies from each that were pretty solid performances. And I don't watch chat shows or pay attention to the celebrity worship circuit, so I don't give 2 sh!ts about Cruise's weirdnesses. Everybody in Hollywood is a religious nut or has a gerbil in his butt.

Gee, I like Owen Wilson, tho I think he's getting too much exposure now. He was GREAT in "Bottlerocket."

Costner WAS in a terrible movie this year about Coast Guardsmen, so he IS still working. He's horrifyingly awful in EVERYTHING he does. I can't understand how he continues to be a box office draw / get work.

kexodusc
02-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Affleck and Reeves arguably shouldn't be there - don't think they make as much as some of the others, and I'm pretty sure few people "overrate" them. Terrible, yes, overrated and overpaid? Arguable.

Cruise get's my nod - he's been in a few good movies, but I find his range extremely limited.

Stallone's not all that great, either though, but are you ever as disappointed leaving a Stallone movie as you are leaving a Cruise movie? Only if you expect Rambo 8 to be picture of the year.

Samuel L Jackson deserves a nomination, that guy's prostituted himself to some pretty terrible roles lately...Can't think of any role since "The Negotiator" that I liked...maybe "Coach Carter"...and if we give him a nod, Bruce Willis deserves one too.

Oh, and Ashton f'n Kutcher or whatever his name is - that guy is aweful!

dean_martin
02-14-2007, 02:34 PM
I remember when George Clooney used to be a regular in these polls, but my vote always went to uni-character actor Tom Cruise.

The one guy who gets on my nerves lately is the guy from CSI-Miami and I don't even watch the show or remember his name. (Anybody else think he's a little pale for Miami?) I remember when he left a cop show to become a movie stahhh a long time ago. He's the only thing about King of New York that bugs me.

Damon kinda redeemed himself with me in the Bourne movies and Stuck on You. Otherwise, it's hard to imagine a more boring actor (see The Rainmaker - the only Grisham novel I ever liked), except for maybe Assfleck.

Owen Wilson is still riding his performances in Bottlerocket (as previously mentioned) and Zoolander with me, but he's getting close to being played out. What bothers me is I think Vince Vaughn is already there. (That relationship movie he did with Jennifer Anniston sucked.)

So, who am I picking from the list? I can't go wrong with my old stand-by Tom Cruise.

PeruvianSkies
02-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Ben Affleck all the way!

Harrison Ford has definitely been bombing lately...however, he still has a few of the greatest films ever made attached to his name APOCALYPSE NOW and BLADE RUNNER, but has not been able to come back on top in the past decade.

Tom Hanks proved in the 90's that he could do a great movie each year until he did CATCH ME IF YOU CAN and THE LADYKILLERS remake.

Keanu Reeves is certainly a terrible actor, but he's not overrated because everyone rates him pretty low.

Tom Cruise has unfortunately been in 4 movies that I absolutely love...EYES WIDE SHUT, MAGNOLIA, COLOR OF MONEY, and THE LAST SAMURAI.

Stallone is certainly a good candidate though, but I think Affleck is worse if that's even possible.

I enjoy the Baldwins when they come out to play.

Matt Damon redeems himself now and again and has done some more fitting roles.

Martin Lawrence is not really overrated for the same reason as Reeves...no one takes either of them serious enough to rate them high to begin with.

Owen Wilson I enjoy.

recoveryone
02-14-2007, 03:33 PM
I could't make a choice, for the reason, I didn't know most of the list was even rated!!!!!

Ford, Hanks and Cruise have their niche in the biz and the rest is just a spit in the wind(just make sure your upwind).

jrhymeammo
02-14-2007, 03:41 PM
No Tim Allen? Whatta hell?

I was hoping to see Dan Aykroyd, but I'm glad he aint getting squat lately.

Most under-rated? Please look to the left of this post. 'nuff said

Jay da Ra

Dusty Chalk
02-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Where is Tom Arnold?

That said, I'd go with Cruise -- don't hate him, I just think he ruined Eyes Wide Shut -- I can imagine pretty much anyone else doing that role with more gravity, no wonder it took him forever to film.

Reaves was perfect in Johnny Mnemonic. "Agh, my head, it can't hold it all!..."

FA -- what about The Matrix?

Gerald Cooperberg
02-14-2007, 07:20 PM
I think that the majority of those guys are great when paired with the right material. I'd rather see a poll for most misused actor... whenever you've got a marketing department making a casting decision, that's when you get the truly cringe-worthy performances.

I won't go into too much detail defending the names you list aside from saying that a couple of them turned in some of my favorite recent performances. Damon was terrific in The Departed (truth to be told, I think he's always solid; that guy never seems to phone it in), Keanu Reeves did great work in both A Scanner Darkly and The Lake House, and Alec Baldwin was perfectly cast in Running With Scissors (and good in The Departed as well).

-Coop

bobsticks
02-14-2007, 07:24 PM
I hate Tom Hanks so much I can't rationally discuss it.

PeruvianSkies
02-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Affleck can't even take himself seriously (see JAY AND SILENT BOB) making fun of that so-called New England accent he attempted in GOOD WILL HUNTING. Affleck also destroyed DAREDEVIL and MINORITY REPORT 2, also known as PAYCHECK. Let's not also be so quick to forget a film called GIGLI, or rather let's try to forget it even faster than it hit video. Talk about a gimmick film to exploit a relationship. Then he did a few other terrible films early in the 2000's such as SUM OF ALL FEARS and BOUNCE. PEARL HARBOR was so-so. Need I say more?

bobsticks
02-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Definetley compelling and well reasoned argument for Affleck...

...nonethless, with Hanks, I feel the all-consuming urge to lob sea urchins at his face.

SlumpBuster
02-14-2007, 08:20 PM
AFFLECK WAS THE BOMB IN PHANTOMS!!!!

Seriously, Affleck gave good interview to Terry Gross.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6139155

FWIW, its worth a listen for a candid look at Hollywood and how no one sets out to make a sucky film.

PeruvianSkies
02-14-2007, 09:12 PM
Well, no-one necessarily 'sets out' to do anything sucky, yet I think that we all know when we are working on something that is not really that great. It's the same with music. An artist doesn't set out to make a crappy album, but they certainly know when they have a winner and a loser on their hands. Granted a movie can suck with little fault to a particular actor in general, this is why it's important to read scripts and be careful about which projects you attach yourself to. I think when someone comes along and says ...hey, we are going to make this film called "Gigli" you might want to run the other way!

Smokey
02-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Can’t believe you included Martin Lawrence in your poll http://www.blueblood.net/boards/images/smilies2/angry_bonkhead.gif

I think he is pretty darn funny and do work hard in the business. But I agree that Owen Wilson does definitely need a nose job :D

PeruvianSkies
02-14-2007, 10:03 PM
I respect Owen Wilson for NOT changing his looks despite being in a position to do so with ease. Instead he is obviously happy with who he is and how he looks. Let's face it, if he did get a nose job then everyone would be gossiping about how he changed his looks and make jokes about his nose job yadda yadda yadda. I don't know why everyone complains about celebrities looks and then when someone comes along who is just more average looking then they want them to change to fit in with everyone else in tinsel town. Give the guy a break! His nose certainly has had a few, why not him!

Dusty Chalk
02-14-2007, 10:54 PM
He was great in A Night at the Museum.

Dusty Chalk
02-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Affleck also destroyed ... MINORITY REPORT 2, also known as PAYCHECK.Wait...what?!?!? Paycheck was nothing like Minority Report, at least plot-wise...they were both set in the future, that's about it...

PeruvianSkies
02-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Noooooo.... 1492 CONQUEST OF PARADISE is nothing like MINORITY REPORT...PAYCHECK is incredibly close to MINORITY REPORT and that's why I made the comment that it was like a sequel to the film. Both movies are incredibly crappy loop-holed films that have the same look, feel, and smell. Both are made by directors who used to make great films: John Woo and Steven Spielberg. Both contain actors on this overrated thread: Affleck and Cruise. Both are stories from Philip K. Dick. Both films turn into chase films revolving around a central character set against a futuristic background with elements dealing with time and time warping. Both films also require a crane to suspend your disbelief. Other than that they are complete opposites...geesh.

Worf101
02-15-2007, 06:15 AM
I'm obviously A LOT younger than you are. :p
Someone please take this knife from twixt my ribs... Oooch, oowch...
bleed, gasp and wheeze..

Da Worfster

Worf101
02-15-2007, 06:21 AM
I hate Tom Hanks so much I can't rationally discuss it.
Laughing so hard I'm about to piss myself...

Da Worfster

SlumpBuster
02-15-2007, 06:41 AM
Well, no-one necessarily 'sets out' to do anything sucky, yet I think that we all know when we are working on something that is not really that great. It's the same with music. An artist doesn't set out to make a crappy album, but they certainly know when they have a winner and a loser on their hands. Granted a movie can suck with little fault to a particular actor in general, this is why it's important to read scripts and be careful about which projects you attach yourself to. I think when someone comes along and says ...hey, we are going to make this film called "Gigli" you might want to run the other way!

To the contrary. I was listening to and interview with David Mamet the other day, and he was discussing how it can be dificult to dicern how well things are going on set. For example, he said that if you are working on comedy and you are laughing at the dailies,
then its a pretty good indication that its not going to be good at final cut. Sort of like an opposite thing. If the comedic timing was spot on enough to be funny in the daily, the editing process is not going to be able to preserve the time.

As to Gigli, Affleck claims taht it was a monster script that was subject to massive studio and star competition. It was project that was around for years that everyone was competing for.

ForeverAutumn
02-15-2007, 07:19 AM
FA -- what about The Matrix?

What about it? IMO Keanu didn't bring any value to the film...coulda been almost anybody in that role.

Troy
02-15-2007, 11:34 AM
What about it? IMO Keanu didn't bring any value to the film...coulda been almost anybody in that role.

Yeah, like Ben Affleck!

GMichael
02-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Looks like Ben is pulling away from the pack.

Smokey
02-15-2007, 03:01 PM
I respect Owen Wilson for NOT changing his looks despite being in a position to do so with ease. Instead he is obviously happy with who he is and how he looks.

There is nothing wrong with natural look even if it is not pretty to look at (just look at my avatar :D). But when natural look become too distractive, he/she might need some work done.

Like when Stalone had the bandaid on his nose in Tthe movie Copland. It just became too distractive :)

Dusty Chalk
02-15-2007, 04:02 PM
I thought that was a reference to Chinatown...?

PeruvianSkies
02-15-2007, 08:24 PM
I think it was a definite reference to CHINATOWN, yeah as if COPLAND (despite being a so-so film) is anywhere near the genius of CHINATOWN!

eisforelectronic
02-17-2007, 12:39 PM
I actually like Affleck, but he has made some crappy films. I think I like him better in interviews and more candid stuff. Besides, he has no respect for people with no shopping agenda.

lewburgh
02-17-2007, 01:51 PM
I agree Tom Hanks is the worst! Castaway!!!! Are you kidding me one of the worst movies ever made. Somewhere along the way Mr. Hanks/Josh from Big became such a stuffy over paid, egotistical, Springsteen loving pompus ass. I do like Springsteen however.

Sorry I am very passionate about this but am even more infuriated by Julia Roberts. Name one Julia Roberts movie worth noting other than maybe Pretty Woman which is every girls favorite right up there with Erin Brokavich another awful movie. The thing that gets me with Julia is that although she does seem like a decent person she carries herself in a manner that speaks- look at me, I'm so beautiful, and so humble, and so down to Earth. I am just amazing! This is making me sick. Sorry I can't talk about this anymore. Put Julia on the list! She would get my vote.

Lew

Jack in Wilmington
02-17-2007, 07:48 PM
You have some really good choices on the list. Maybe its not his fault but my vote goes to Owen Wilson. Starsky and Hutch was so bad. But it was miss cast like so many other clunkers.

McHale's Navy
Dukes of Hazzard
Bewitched (Now why wasn't Will Ferrell on the list)
Miami Vice

the list goes on and on

PeruvianSkies
02-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Unfortunately it would seem that Owen Wilson has been doing alot of the same films lately, which is a shame since he was on a bigger roll when he was doing the films of Wes Anderson and even BEHIND ENEMY LINES, which wasn't too terrible despite being a remake of BAT 21.