speaker cross-over issue? Help I'm a newb [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : speaker cross-over issue? Help I'm a newb

blackops_1
02-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Hi everyone,

I recently got my first house so Now I can finally crank it! :ihih: My receiver is a fisher
rs-9115 that has a max output of 100watts per channel. First dumb question if i'm running 2 speakers does that mean each speaker gets 100 or 50 watts?
I just got some used Cerwin Vega DX-9's that i've fallen in love with! Man these things
really rock and sound good! It has a 15inch driver, 6.5 mid and dome bullet loaded horn tweeter. I couldn't find any info on Cerwin's website since the speakers are soo old but I
think the rated response is 30-20000hz and it is circuit and fused protected, cross over points of 250 and 5000hz I think? The speakers are supposed to handle 400 watts max, Now the strange thing is when I was playing some hard rock and really cranked it up all the way it blew the fuse to one speaker! No smoke came out and this was after about 2 minutes at max volume. Now if the speaker can supposedly handle 400 watts then my 100 watt receiver shouldn't be able to hurt it I think?? Maybe the crossover is going bad/out I dunno? I'm glad the fuse popped! What do you guys think? Should I get a new crossover assuming I can find one? Thanks in advance!

Dan.

PeruvianSkies
02-14-2007, 12:25 AM
Does the receiver say Fisher or FisherPrice?

blackops_1
02-14-2007, 12:30 AM
I think its just Fisher. I'm at work now so can't verify.

Feanor
02-14-2007, 03:56 AM
Hi everyone,

I recently got my first house so Now I can finally crank it! :ihih: My receiver is a fisher
rs-9115 that has a max output of 100watts per channel. First dumb question if i'm running 2 speakers does that mean each speaker gets 100 or 50 watts?
I just got some used Cerwin Vega DX-9's that i've fallen in love with! Man these things
really rock and sound good! It has a 15inch driver, 6.5 mid and dome bullet loaded horn tweeter. I couldn't find any info on Cerwin's website since the speakers are soo old but I
think the rated response is 30-20000hz and it is circuit and fused protected, cross over points of 250 and 5000hz I think? The speakers are supposed to handle 400 watts max, Now the strange thing is when I was playing some hard rock and really cranked it up all the way it blew the fuse to one speaker! No smoke came out and this was after about 2 minutes at max volume. Now if the speaker can supposedly handle 400 watts then my 100 watt receiver shouldn't be able to hurt it I think?? Maybe the crossover is going bad/out I dunno? I'm glad the fuse popped! What do you guys think? Should I get a new crossover assuming I can find one? Thanks in advance!

Dan.

First good news is that it is unlikely that the speaker crossover is the problem or needs fixing. That is, you probably only need to replace the fuse.

Now as for the cause: if you were driving the receiver wide open, (glad I was nowhere around at the time), you probably drove it into "clipping", that is, into a condition where it is producing significant distortion which in turn means even more power than the loudness music would suggest.

Let's get something else straight: the Cerwin Vega's 400 watt rating would be "music peak" or some similar description, that is, transient power, not continuous wattage. What happened was that the Fisher, especially given that was probably driven to clipping, was delivering a more continuous, actual power than the Cerwin's could handle, so the fuse blew -- lucky for you.

Feanor
02-14-2007, 03:57 AM

'Nough said. :D

Rock789
02-14-2007, 08:34 PM
x2 on clipping... (when a sin wave looks square)... this will cause very high currents and will not only damage your speakers, but will damage your receiver's amp...
if you want it louder, perhaps get a bigger amp and possibly additional speakers...

Rock789
02-14-2007, 08:34 PM
x2 on clipping... (when a sin wave looks square)... this will cause very high currents and will not only damage your speakers, but will damage your receiver's amp...
if you want it louder, perhaps get a bigger amp and possibly additional speakers...

blackops_1
02-14-2007, 09:01 PM

Ha ha yeah you got me there Peruvianskies :hand: Normally I don't push things to the limit, but being this is my first house which I worked and saved for a long time, searched a long time to find one without another neighbor's house in the yard. You bet I'm gona have my party and my freedom to finally see what she will do without worrying about a noise violation! And considering what a deal I got on the dx9's, even if the worst happened I wouldn't have lost much $$$, in perspective.

Blackops_1.

hydroman
02-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Repalce the fuse with the same rating. If it blows again - then we will make sure it is the correct fuse, and then troubleshoot further from there...

Congratulations on the house!

N. Abstentia
02-15-2007, 07:00 PM
..and replace that Fisher ASAP. It's probably producing 10% distortion at idle.

Rock789
02-15-2007, 07:28 PM
..and replace that Fisher ASAP. It's probably producing 10% distortion at idle.
rofl!

hydroman
02-16-2007, 10:37 AM
To your other question - 100W/Channel means just that - each speaker gets 100W. You only have one speaker per channel - right?