New House Construction and speaker options [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New House Construction and speaker options

doubledeed
02-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Hello everybody- this is my first post on this message board so forgive me if I screw something up...

My question primarily is concerned w/ speakers that I need to purchase for a new houe in FL. Right now my Audio equipment is basically an ONKYO 501 receiver and some cheap speakers that I'm using in my Apartment. I used to have a decent system in my old house but when the house was destroyed by hurricane Ivan, the in-wall went w/ it...

I'm in the final stage of construction and basically need advice on in-wall speakers for 3 different rooms in the house and a separate set of home theater/music speakers. Here's what I was thinking of purchasing:
- for the in-wall speakers music speakers only, I was thinking of going through the "inwallstore" online and getting the JA Audio EX-165 for around 150/pair. The guy at the store rates them highly and hasn't had any complaints. Does anybody know of this brand? The price is good and as long as the sound is above average then I won't necessarily be upset w/ the purchase
- for the home theater speakers- here's where I need the HELP. I was thinking of getting on-walls instead of in-walls as the speaker wire is currently coming out right behind the 50" TV. I was thinking of the DEfinative Tech Mythos 2 and then the 3 for the center speakers. I wouldn't mind going to in-walls but how would I get the wire out to the speaker w/out seeing it. Can you simply make a slice in the dry-wall, shove in the wire, mud over the slice and then cut out the hole for the new in-wall?? If that is not possible then I guess I need to go w/ an on-wall speaker (my wife won't let me do a floor standing speaker). Now for the rear surrouds- they need to be in-ceiling as it is a large room and there's no place I can put bookshelf speakers. Does the quality of the rear surround really make a huge difference? I was thinking of also using the defiative in-walls but am open to suggestions. Also, do I need to use the same speaker manufacuter for all my hometheater needs?

I know this is a lot of questions but I am LOST as to how to go about selecting the right speaker combination for all my listening options. Any/All advice will be appreciated.

Cheers
dave

audio_dude
02-13-2007, 06:32 PM
hmm, well, all I can say is that inwalls aren't usually the best bet for hifi stereo, but if you insist, you might want to take a look at Axiom audio, they make some great inwalls, that beat out others by still having an enclosure, and not relying on the wall frame to resonate.

You can also go with them for your HT stuff, its been highly praised.

nightflier
02-14-2007, 09:08 AM
Have you considered on-wall?

icarus
02-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Well depending on yuor price range, I have listend to and been impressed by the Bowers and wilkins in wall series. They range any were from $200 to $2500 canadian, (for $us dollars knock of about 20%). If your are interested i could send you the B&W price guide.

basite
02-14-2007, 10:58 AM
yeah, B&W makes good in walls (good normal speakers too)

but why would you only do in walls?

why not do one room for a more dedicated listening room (not really dedicated, but just a place where you sit more to listen to music) and put a real system there with real, non in-wall speakers or so?

Greetings,
Bert.

icarus
02-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Ya bert thats a great suggestion, depending if the wife will let him.Since by the sounds of it towers are out, but there is a pretty big range of book-shelf speakers that are truly amazing (depending on the budget)

doubledeed
02-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks for everyone's reply as I'm a little overwhelmed w/ all the optiosn out there. For the home theater I would love some input about definative's onwall mythos two and threes and then maybe a in cieling uiw 65A. Does anybody not like definative. It's really the only brand that I've heard- liked them enough to buy them but wanted to research other people's opinions. I heard them at BB's Magnolia's store.

Many thanks
dave

PeruvianSkies
02-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Another problem that people forget about when it comes to In-Walls is if you ever decide to re-arrange the room...not that everyone likes to do that, but I personally like to change up my room every now and again and the last thing that I want to dictate that decision is where my speakers are in the wall!

atom10
02-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Check the Axiom audio if you want to setup a hifi stereo.

icarus
02-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Does anybody not like definative. It's really the only brand that I've heard- liked them enough to buy them but wanted to research other people's opinions. I heard them at BB's Magnolia's store.

I hope we have given you enough options here, and considering that your live in a place big enough to support a magnolia store, there should be other audio stores around with different brands for you to check out. In the end we can give all the advice we can on what we personally think is best, but in the end it all comes down to your personal preferences.