The Police, back in uniform! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Police, back in uniform!

topspeed
02-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Yes, fellow Police fans, Sting, Stewart Copeland, and Andy Summers are saddling up for a World Tour this year and opening with a show in Vancouver, BC in March!

I, for one, am a huge Police fan and although they only released a handful of albums, their mark on the '80's music scene was indelible. They have stated that they will only be playing Police tunes, no solo stuff from Sting, which is fine with me. Not that he didn't have some great solo stuff (Fortress Around Your Heart is still my fave), but the Police had sooo many great tunes that they can easily put on a 2hr show and still be incomplete, IMO.

As an aside, Copeland was one of my primary influences as a kit player and is firmly entrenched as one of the greatest rock drummers of all time. When I bought my first Tama, the salesman asked me what kind of sound I was looking for and without hesitation I stated "Like Stewart Copeland's." He was one of the few that still played "traditional" vs. matched and always incorporated lots of timbales and other percussion along with his kit.

Prices are going to be from $50-$225 and you can be sure you'll be paying a lot more for the primo seats.

It'll be worth it. I'm in!

bobsticks
02-13-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm all on board as well. I suspect, or at least I hope, that this will be one band that the tears have been kind to. After years of seperation it will be interesting to see what new perspectives are brought to the standards.

topspeed
02-13-2007, 11:34 AM
They were tight on the Grammys, but that was only one song. I remember catching the Eagles on the Hell Freezes Over tour and was blown away at how fantastic they sounded together, despite the long layoff. We can only hope the Police are as fortunate.

Dusty Chalk
02-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Well, as much as I love them, I won't be seeing them live -- not for those prices. I've seen Andy Summers solo when he opened for Tangerine Dream, and that'll have to be good enough for me.

Rock789
02-14-2007, 08:41 PM
have a link to their tour schedule?

hydroman
02-15-2007, 11:13 AM
I would attend.

I Strongly Suspect the character clashes will kill any chance of further collaboration (same for VanHalen with Diamond Dave Lee Roth gone/back/gone/back.... ;) ).

topspeed
02-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Rock, their full schedule hasn't been finalized. Check ticketmaster or google.

Rock789
02-15-2007, 07:46 PM
ok thanks

Woochifer
02-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Looks like obtaining tickets for this tour will be a bit tricky. All of the concerts will have a presale and a general sale. The presale tickets will go to fan club members and Best Buy Reward Zone members (because Best Buy is the tour sponsor). I believe that you can still join the fan club and obtain a presale code, but with the BB Reward Zone, you have to have been a member as of February 1.

Here's a link to the dates that have been announced so far.

https://tickets.thepolicetour.com/

The presale codes for the New York and Boston dates have already gone out. Apparently, the next round of ticket announcements will occur 2/20, 2/27, and 3/3. Once the dates are announced, then the presale codes are made available starting at 6am local time. Here are the presale details from Best Buy's website. The BB site also shows the tentative tour locations that have yet to announce the exact date.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat113700050000&type=category

For Concert Venues announced 2/12/07, Codes available from 6:00:00 a.m. local time 2/12/07 to 11:00:00 a.m. local time 2/16/07, while supplies last. For Concert Venues announced 2/20/07, 2/27/07 and 3/6/07, Codes available from 6:00:00 a.m. local time Tuesday to 11:00:00 a.m. local time Friday of that week, while supplies last. Codes and presale tickets are limited in quantity and available on a first come, first served basis. Code will appear on screen if request is successful. Print Code screen for your records.

LIMIT ONE CODE PER MEMBER DURING PROMOTIONAL PERIOD. OBTAINING A CODE DOES NOT GUARANTEE ABILITY TO PURCHASE PRESALE TICKETS. If you receive a Code for a Concert Venue, visit www.ticketmaster.com during applicable presale period, and follow online instructions to enter Code for the opportunity to order presale tickets for that Concert Venue. For Concert Venues announced 2/12/07, presale begins 12:00:00 noon local time 2/13/07 to 12:00:00 noon local time 2/16/07, while supplies last. For Concert Venues announced 2/20/07, 2/27/07 and 3/6/07, presale begins 10:00:00 a.m. local time Wednesday to 12:00:00 noon local time Friday of that week, while supplies last. Tickets in all price ranges will not be available for presale.

LIMIT ONE CODE ENTRY FOR MAXIMUM OF TWO PRESALE TICKETS PER MEMBER DURING PROMOTIONAL PERIOD. See www.ticketmaster.com for presale schedule, as all times and dates that the Codes are available and tickets are available to purchase via the presale are subject to change. "Local time" defined as time zone of applicable Concert Venue.

bubbagump
02-18-2007, 05:25 AM
It's Sting's arrogance and perhaps financial situation that has kept this from happening for so long. When Sting left the Police to work his solo career, I was pissed. While many love what he does on his own (including a lot of Police material), it was too artsy for my taste. Kind of what happened when Eric Clapton left Cream. There was an edgyness and synergy with Copeland and Summers that Sting completely lacks on his own. Let's hope Sting can contain his enormous ego long enough to pull this off and perhaps come up with more material.

Woochifer
02-21-2007, 02:26 PM
For anyone who's a Best Buy Reward Zone or Police Fan Club member ...

The presale codes for the following shows are now available ...

June 6 - Seattle
June 9 - Denver
June 13 - Oakland
June 15 - Las Vegas (?)
June 18 - Phoenix
June 23 - Los Angeles
June 26 - Dallas
July 2 - St. Louis

For Best Buy Reward Zone presale codes, the presale begins Thursday, February 22 at 10am local time. I know that for the Oakland show, the public ticket sale begins on Sunday.

I know that the fan club presale begins on Friday, but I'm not sure about which shows they have available because their website has not been updated.

Woochifer
02-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Okay, it looks like the presale has already started in Seattle, Phoenix, and Denver. Presales for the Oakland and Los Angeles shows start tomorrow. I don't see anything on Ticketmaster's website for Dallas and St. Louis, so I might have jumped the gun there. Sorry 'bout that and good luck!

superdougiefreshness
02-21-2007, 06:45 PM
It's Sting's arrogance and perhaps financial situation that has kept this from happening for so long. When Sting left the Police to work his solo career, I was pissed. While many love what he does on his own (including a lot of Police material), it was too artsy for my taste. Kind of what happened when Eric Clapton left Cream. There was an edgyness and synergy with Copeland and Summers that Sting completely lacks on his own. Let's hope Sting can contain his enormous ego long enough to pull this off and perhaps come up with more material.
You really hit the nail on the head concerning Sting's huge ego. I was lucky to have seen the Police in about 1980 while in highschool and the Go Go's was the opening act. The Police had a live brass section and chorus of three black women on board as backup singers; this was the very best of the 80's pop music with the best live production I was lucky to have ever seen. Then in about 1994 I went to see Sting's solo tour for Soul Cages which was as to be expected very well proformed, but lacked the luster and pazzazz that can only be the Police when they were still in there late 20's. I think Sting needs the new blood injected back into the music that only his bandmates can provide, and they have been surely missed......:5:

topspeed
02-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Just got our tix for the LA show at Dodger Stadium! :cool: Foo Fighters are the opening act, which is icing on the cake as I really like Dave Grohl as well!

The only bad thing is our tix are in the nosebleed section. We called right at the 10:00am pst release and almost everything was already gone. :mad2: If you want good seats, pay the $100 and join the fan club for the presale. It will be worth it.

Enjoy and if any AR guys are going LA, let me know and we'll have a beer.

Woochifer
03-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Just got our tix for the LA show at Dodger Stadium! :cool: Foo Fighters are the opening act, which is icing on the cake as I really like Dave Grohl as well!

The only bad thing is our tix are in the nosebleed section. We called right at the 10:00am pst release and almost everything was already gone. :mad2: If you want good seats, pay the $100 and join the fan club for the presale. It will be worth it.

Enjoy and if any AR guys are going LA, let me know and we'll have a beer.

I didn't hear anything about an opening act, that would be way cool if we get the Foo Fighters in Oaktown!

You might not want to hear this, but I managed to secure floor seats in the $90 section because I got in on Best Buy's presale. (way off to the side, but in the 18th row) Probably could've gotten also gotten the prime seats up close to the stage, but $225 per ticket is a major budget buster at the moment with my wife due in two (?!) months, three different home improvement projects going, AND the first two rounds of the NCAA tourney in Sacramento and San Jose this year!

I'm really looking forward to this one, because I missed out on the Synchronicity tour, not knowing that it would take another 23 years for the next opportunity to see them!

topspeed
03-05-2007, 09:48 AM
You might not want to hear this, but I managed to secure floor seats in the $90 section because I got in on Best Buy's presale.

You suck. :prrr:

Woochifer
03-06-2007, 12:32 PM
You suck. :prrr:

Nice! :cornut: