Akg 701 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Akg 701

tony3d
02-12-2007, 05:26 AM
I wasn't sure where to post this so here goes. I'm interested in the AKG K701 heaphones, and had a few questions. Will a Harman Kardon CDR-26 power them ok? I won't be able to afford a headphone pre-amp for a while. If you were going to spend $400.00 on phones which would you suggest? Would I be better off buying say a pair of Sennheiser - HD580 headphones, and a Antique Sound - HB1 Hybrid Tube Headphone Amp to go with it. I can do either one of those options.

Dusty Chalk
02-12-2007, 07:48 AM
The AKG K701 is a completely different sound from the Sennheiser HD580. It's rather dry and straightforward -- certainly adequate, but me personally, I would probably go for the Beyerdynamic DT880 (also, I've seen the K701 for cheaper (http://www.head-case.org/index.php?topic=1185.0)), and a cheap headphone amp, like the Headroom Micro or the Headamp AE1, but I hadn't heard of the HB1 before now, but I have heard ASL's MG Head, which is certainly a good little amp.

jrhymeammo
02-12-2007, 05:19 PM
I dont like the AKG 701, cuz the sound stage is too narrow for me.

Get a pair of AT ATH-AD1000. Not a bad pair at all.

Fergymunster
02-12-2007, 06:34 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this so here goes. I'm interested in the AKG K701 heaphones, and had a few questions. Will a Harman Kardon CDR-26 power them ok? I won't be able to afford a headphone pre-amp for a while. If you were going to spend $400.00 on phones which would you suggest? Would I be better off buying say a pair of Sennheiser - HD580 headphones, and a Antique Sound - HB1 Hybrid Tube Headphone Amp to go with it. I can do either one of those options.
The AKG 701 will only sound good with a very good source and tube amp.I don't think the Harmon meets these qualifications.I would suggest the Senn HD 600 or HD 650 with that tube amp yout thinking of.

JNorth1178
02-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Let me muddy the waters a bit more for you. I own the AKG 701/s. I am no audiophile expert. I can only report what I hear. I find them to be supurb, clean sound snd very natural. I got them from Head Room and I got their Total Air Head amp. Though I found I reIally didn[t need it since I have a Rotel RC 1070 preamp and it drives the headphones o.k. I don't know anything about the Harmon K. But it is my guess that it wil handle it o.k.. I ordered a pair of Sennheisers before I got the AKG's Don't remember which ones' but I didnt like them and sent them back. Head Room is a nice bunch to work with. JNorth1178

Dusty Chalk
02-12-2007, 07:23 PM
The AKG 701 will only sound good with a very good source and tube amp.I don't think the Harmon meets these qualifications.I would suggest the Senn HD 600 or HD 650 with that tube amp yout thinking of.Why not the HD580? It's not that far off from the HD600, and at a fraction of the price...

Fritz
02-12-2007, 11:40 PM
I can attest to the HD580's sounding wonderful. I haven't even yet had the opportunity to listen through a good headphone amp, and I can say that they sound very realistic. They may be a tiny bit laid back, but I dont mind at all, since I can still hear every detail (okay, almost every detail, I'm listening to mp3's for the most part). I've let a few friends listen as well, fellow sound recording majors, and they were impressed too. It also might be good to mention that I was looking for the most accurate sound I could get (within my budget) and these headphones have the best sound I've heard so far. (I can't compare them to the HD600 or 650's. I have read reviews saying that they are similar.)

Also sorry if I repeat the same stuff in different parts of the forums, I often dont remember what or where I post!

Fergymunster
02-13-2007, 06:48 AM
Why not the HD580? It's not that far off from the HD600, and at a fraction of the price...
I havn't heard that much about the HD 580,it's an old one from the 1990's.I imagine they'd be ok.

Fergymunster
02-13-2007, 07:01 AM
Let me muddy the waters a bit more for you. I own the AKG 701/s. I am no audiophile expert. I can only report what I hear. I find them to be supurb, clean sound snd very natural. I got them from Head Room and I got their Total Air Head amp. Though I found I reIally didn[t need it since I have a Rotel RC 1070 preamp and it drives the headphones o.k. I don't know anything about the Harmon K. But it is my guess that it wil handle it o.k.. I ordered a pair of Sennheisers before I got the AKG's Don't remember which ones' but I didnt like them and sent them back. Head Room is a nice bunch to work with. JNorth1178
I'm not saying that the 701 will not sound good to you.I mean you could plug them into an I-pod and think they sound great.What I'm saying is these headphones need a very good source and amp to do justice to these headphones.Better equipment=better sound.

AmpItUP
02-26-2007, 11:08 PM
I agree that the ASL MG Head is a great find.