Looking for Recommendations for Subwoofers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Recommendations for Subwoofers

drawbars
02-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a home subwoofer to add to a system for both music listening and home theater. Price range: $500-800. I already have a pair of older, but very nice fronts that have decent bass (KEF 104.2s), so it's not a question of NEEDING bass, I want better, deeper bass for things like movie EFX, electronic music, and pipe organ.

What I DON'T want is extra 60-120Hz bass masquerading as "deeper bass." I want to feel the bass more than hear it.

So far, my candidates seem to be narrowing down to SVS and Hsu Research. I'm leaning toward the SVS models, and I'm actually looking at arguably "lesser" speakers like the 16-46 PCi and PB12-NSD: while they don't have quite the SPL of the more pricey SVS models, they have nice wide range and very flat frequency response.

Any recommendations/comments/suggestions/flames/etc.?

Regards,

Bruce Wahler
AshbySolutions.com
bruce@ashbysolutions.com

blackraven
02-11-2007, 06:17 PM
I like the Martin Logan Dynamo for fast, tight base response without boominess for about $600 at BB Magnolia. Its the best sub under $1000 that I have heard. I also like the Velodyne SP-R series subs but my favorite subs are made by REL. They now have a lower priced line for under $1000. REL makes some of the best subs in the world. I would take any of these subs over the SVS and HSU subs. The REL subs have crossovers down to 30Hz.
Check out www.sumikoaudio.net for the REL subs. BB can order any REL sub if you cant find a local dealer. Hope this helps some, there are many good sounding subs in the $500-800 range.

Dusty Chalk
02-12-2007, 12:18 AM
Didn't REL just introduce a lower-priced line?

Florian
02-12-2007, 02:40 AM
Ah my kinda guy :-) A subwoofer that drops off at 30Hz aint no sub, no sir! Give Rel, Velodyne HGS or DD line a try.

GMichael
02-12-2007, 07:39 AM
I've been enjoying this one: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-764

It rolls off at 18Hz.

blackraven
02-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Yes, REL has a lower priced line for under $1000. www.sumikoaudio.net

drawbars
02-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I did check out the low-end Martin Logan and REL offerings. Unfortunately, they are a little lower-end than I hoped, and the "good stuff" is way out of my budget. (The $800 top end IS the top end at this time.) As an example, the low-end REL is an 8" mini-cube with a -6dB in-room point of 23Hz. That means that the rolloff really starts around 30-35Hz. I was hoping for at least 1/2 octave more; my KEFs already go to 55-60Hz very solidly.

The Dayton kit is interesting, partly because I design speaker systems as a sideline now (keyboard monitors and VERY high power Leslie Speaker upgrades). I'm thinking of maybe doing a little mix and match, maybe the 2-cu-ft cab with a more powerful amp, and maybe a different driver (Peerless?). And putting one together doesn't scare me in the least. Time to pull out my copy of Eminence Designer ...

Any other thoughts in sub-$1,000 offerings. Let me elaborate on my needs a little:

- Cosmetics mean absolutely zero. This sub is going behind a TV cabinet.

- Size -- or at least, footprint -- is important, for the same reason.

- Hitting the 20Hz (-3dB) mark would be very desirable.

Regards

Bruce Wahler
AshbySolutions.com
bruce@ashbysolutions.com

blackraven
02-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Did you look at the Velodyne SPL-1000R, its rated at 24-120 +/-3dB. Have you ever listened to a Martin Logan or REL sub. Spec's arent every thing. These subs have much more pleasing bass then subs that have better specs in the same price range.
Another sub to look at is the carver dominator subs the D10 and D12

Dusty Chalk
02-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Yeah, definitely go DIY, not only will it be more cost-efficient, but you can concentrate on the frequency range below 60 Hz, whereas most subwoofers go up to 100Hz or so. I.E. you can tailor it to your needs.

Here, use one of these (http://www.orcadesign.com/products/focal/focal.htm). This one (http://www.orcadesign.com/products/focal/11V7512D.htm) is only US$320 (for now, prices subject to change, all taxes, shipping and handling not included, see store for details).

Florian
02-12-2007, 04:22 PM
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homesubw&1176151439

Just for tought ;-)

jrhymeammo
02-12-2007, 05:04 PM
It's always nice to get a sub with flat frequewncy response, but make sure they'll perform well in your room. Speakers only place as good as your room...but if you knew that already, then...... Laterz!!!

J

jrhymeammo
02-12-2007, 05:07 PM
ISpeakers only place as good as your room...

J
Kexodusc writes:
Once again, you are wrong JRA...blah blah blah!!! :ihih:

Where is he anyways?

atom10
02-22-2007, 09:23 PM
I prefer using the B&W center speaker LCR3 unit.